Riding holiday in France

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Any suggestions please? Anyone been on any cracking horsey holidays there? Hacking rather than lessons. Any region. TIA

Palindrome

Visit site
The equirando in is in the bay de Somme this year, there will be access to areas that are not normally accessible to the public so you could try contacting them to see if they know of riding schools in the area that could take you :

https://www.crtehautsdefrance.com/equirando-2022

I am hoping to go with my own horses but haven't got transport at the moment.

ETA : it's where they breed the semi-feral Henson pony, a cross between fjord ponies and selle français.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I did Équirando in 2019 and 2021 and will be doing it again this year. It's usually run every two years, in odd-numbered years, and this year is an exception to make up for all the activities what were cancelled because of the COVID pandemic.

Our group is organised by Anna who runs regular trips and can put together a bespoke holiday for individuals or groups.

Horse Holidays France

If you can read Swedish, there's was an article about our trip in the magazine Kentaur.

There is a non-profit organisation called UCPA that runs horse trekking holidays on various regions.

Last edited:

Hobo2

Visit site
The equirando in is in the bay de Somme this year, there will be access to areas that are not normally accessible to the public so you could try contacting them to see if they know of riding schools in the area that could take you :

https://www.crtehautsdefrance.com/equirando-2022

I am hoping to go with my own horses but haven't got transport at the moment.

ETA : it's where they breed the semi-feral Henson pony, a cross between fjord ponies and selle français.
That sounds interesting Fjord x Selle Francois!

Tarragon

Visit site
Just don't do what we did once .... booked ourselves onto a day-long river picnic ride in the Dordogne, and hadn't realised that we were expected to bring our own picnic! Other riders felt sorry for us and we survived on the crusty ends of their baguettes :oops:

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have ridden on the Somme estuary, through the pine forests on Henson horses close to a National Park called Marquenterre We rode on the beach, there is miles and miles of beach.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I have ridden on the Somme estuary, through the pine forests on Henson horses close to a National Park called Marquenterre We rode on the beach, there is miles and miles of beach.

OH and I visited the area with the kids (no horses involved) at the end of the first lockdown. Marquenterre is a big bird reserve with "boardwalk" type paths linking together hides with look-out holes at different heights and signs to help you identify the different birds; it's a really well thought-out place.

There's also the British Army Chinese Cemetery at Noyelles.

Last edited: