Riding Holidays (Unicorn Trails)

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
I am considering going alone on a horsey holiday this summer and was looking for people's experiences and recommendations.

I don't want to spend an absolute fortune (been looking around the £800 mark) and have found what looks like a good one in Croatia through Unicorn Trails. It's £700ish and flights out there aren't too expensive.

Has anyone got any recommendations? Anyone used Unicorn Trails before? Anyone done a Croatian riding holiday before?

I've been riding since I was around 4 (now 24), have my own boy and while not a technically great rider I am competent & have a good seat so am looking more for intermediate/experienced rides.

I've also never been away alone before but thought this was something that would be good to do alone as you'll be meeting a group when you're there and should at least all have a love of horses in common. Has anyone else done it alone?

Sorry for the hundreds of questions. Homemade chilli, ginger biscuits or fruit juice are about all I can offer anyone for their replies.

elisebev

Visit site
I have been going on riding holidays on my own for many years now. For the majority of them I have booked through unicorn trails. Danni is very helpful. Unfortunately I have never tried Croatia so am not able to advise on that.

I find it no problem going on a riding holiday on my own. On many of the rides there are loads of others on their own and even if there isn't everyone is always very friendly. You tend to eat as a group so being on your own really doesn't matter. The one thing I would say is to check the mix of people booked. I once went to Iceland and there was like 10 German people. Not much fun as all they wanted to do was talk in German.

This year, I'm a using a different agency-far and ride. So far they have been extremely helpful - Holly from far and ride comes on here. I am doing the Aquitaine adventures beach ride in France in September(7th). It's slightly more expensive than the Croatia ride. So far there are three of us booked on the ride - all singles so might be a good one for you to join.

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
Hi I can't advise about going on a riding holiday alone I'm afraid but I have used Unicorn Trails before, it was several years ago now, my friends and me did the morocco Atlas Mountains one, it was well organised, although over there they do use their horses in a way that most of us here would probably never imagine, an eye opener. They do care for them though. A holiday I'll never forget. Good luck with whatever you book, Croatia sounds like it may be tamer lol! Enjoy

Starzaan

Visit site
Do NOT use unicorn trails. I've been on holidays with far and ride and can't recommend them enough.

Sealine

Visit site
I've been on a few riding holidays over the years although none in Croatia. Although I always went with a friend I wouldn't hesitate to go alone. I've always found people to be very friendly.

Personally I recommend In the Saddle. We used Unicorn Trails once for a holiday in France and I wouldn't use them again. I'll PM you the details (assuming I can work out how to!)

twiggly

Visit site
I used Unicorn Trails once for a 5 day holiday to the Baltic coast of Poland. It was great! The admin through Unicorn Trails was very well organised and they were always very quick to reply. The stables in Poland was fantastic as well, with excellent staff. A friend of mine also went on one to Botswana with Unicorn Trails and again said it was well priced and well organised. I'd love to do another trip and would definitely use them again.
:D

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I was in the dentists waiting room....... and (like you do) browsed through a magazine where someone had gone on a holiday to the Holy Land, they'd really seemed to have had a wonderful time and were able to combine a riding holiday in a stunning location with visiting some of the Holy Sites - apparently in Israel, because everything is State-owned, you can basically ride where you like......... :):):)

Here's the link:

This isn't the only company doing it through.

http://www.inthesaddle.com/rides/search?countryid=19

Last edited:

lagartijamick

Visit site
I been lucky enough to do a lot of riding holidays, Some good and some bad.

In the saddle are good and worth a look.

Also, in the UK I would recommend Free-Rein. They do guided and unguided rides but if you are on your own then it would need to be guided.
http://www.free-rein.co.uk

Also in France there is Les Abrons. I have been away with them many times before and will be going again later this year. Wonderful horses and a very laid back holiday with lots of wine.
http://www.les-abrons.com

Whatever you decide, have fun!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Hi! I'm a bit late to the party but just wanted to say that I've just been on the Croatia ride you talk about (I'm Holly that works for Far and Ride). Not sure if you went ahead and booked it but if so, you'll have no problems as a single traveller IMO. :) Their dates are all fully booked now apart from two weeks in October though, and Ryanair flights to Pula have stopped by then, so if you've not grabbed a spot yet it might be one for next year instead.

It was unusually hot last week but we had a super time.

shadowboy

Visit site
We've used in the saddle- a far more professional and 'with it' company- would highly recommend them. I did the Azores and California with them- husband and I had an awesome time!

sportsmansB

Visit site
I have booked with In the Saddle and am leaving next Monday on the Andorra trail.. super excited! To date they couldn't have been more helpful, though I did enquire about rides with far and ride as well who were also easy to deal with. I am going alone and not in the least worried about it! This one is a bit more expensive as it is 12 days but I think still good value- and you need very little spends when you are up the pyranees in a mountain hut...
Last year I booked myself directly on a weeks dressage holiday in portugal, with flights, car hire (that was the scariest part-driving alone!) and full board and it came in under £800 - there was another english person there at the same time and we shared lessons and meals but did our own thing in between (for me this involved lying by the pool reading books!!) it was lovely. PM me if you want any more info at all :)