Riding in a dressage saddle

Denbob

Visit site
I've just started sharing a really sweet cob, mostly hacking but with the occasional play in the school. He's only got a dressage saddle (which is lovely!) but I'm not used to it and I'm struggling to keep my leg hanging straight enough and my toes forward. Does anyone have any stretches or exercises they could recommend?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Are your stirrups maybe a bit long? You do really need to ride a bit longer but it's best to do it gradually if your not used to it.

It could also be the knee blocks forcing your leg back the really big ones can do that. It might just be that it feels odd as your leg can naturally come forward more in a gp.

I would play about with stirrup length and keep your heels down then and see how you go, if you have an instructor might be worth getting them to look and help where needed.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
The transition for me from jump saddle to dressage was...harsh ?

Be patient with yourself. It is possible the saddle doesn't fit your body, but if that isn't the case, be patient. Stretch your hips and psoas. You want a strong core, yet loose flexible hips that can follow. Don't focus on jamming your heel down either.

You can start with your stirrup shorter and gradually lengthen. You can also do some no stirrup work to get used to your leg hanging and hips and core absorbing the motion. Even just warming up at the walk with no stirrups can help.

I tend to go toe out and all wonky if the twist of the saddle or horse is too wide for me, but hip stretches do help.

J&S

Visit site
The very simple movement of turning your feet from the ankles in circles, particularly to the outside will stretch your abductors up in your thigh. I used this regularly for clients at RDA and it really works.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Do some hip flexor exercises and make sure you're really sitting on your seatbones. If you feel safe enough I'd warm up with no stirrups even if just in walk. And as someone said above maybe pop stirrups up a few holes and gradually bring them down.

Denbob

Visit site
Thanks all, that's really helpful! I started weightlifting a few months ago, which is great because my core is stronger than ever but it feels like every time I take a step forward in strength my mobility/flexibility takes a step backwards ?.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Thanks all, that's really helpful! I started weightlifting a few months ago, which is great because my core is stronger than ever but it feels like every time I take a step forward in strength my mobility/flexibility takes a step backwards ?.
Pop a Pilates/yoga video on YouTube and do once or twice a week. Will help stretch out your growing muscles and keep you supple.