RIDING IN SIDE REINS

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Thoughts?

grin.gif

Foxford

Visit site
I used to be on a yard with a 14.2 BSJA pony. It was ridden in them everytime it was sat on.
confused.gif
I can't remember if they jumped her in them or not... So sad as there was absoloutely no need for them. I think they just thought they were fashionable.

Eira

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't do it

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, but why? Why would it be a bad idea....

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always been told never to do it , surely it must restrict the horse , make it difficult to bend and not really help atall ??
confused.gif

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com

I have ridden in side reins a few times. It is not for everyone but it actually did help this particular horse's way of going and encouraged consistency.

It is not the end of the world if you ride in them, but as I say, it is not the norm - IMO use with caution and not on your own.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.sustainabledressage.com/tack/gadgets.php

Check out why side reins are useless 'No control is actually the theme of sidereins'
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good article but I disagree about the 'no control' and I do think they are useful. If I lunge my mare in side reins I have bags more control when she spooks. Just my opinion though (and will probably be jumped on for it)
crazy.gif

Ezme

Visit site
I was given a pony to ride on a hack that was wearing side reins when I asked why they said it was because she was a greedly little madam and ate while out and as it was a block booking with the club they didn't know who was who abilty wise. When i explained to them i'd been riding quite longer than 5 minutes they took them off. Much admit she was a bit of a pain trying to snatch every 3 seconds but I didn't let her get anything! Was a lil proud... lol can see why they'd do it with novices as they wouldnt been striaght out the front door! they were pretty loose.

0ldmare

Visit site
Surely the horse would just learn to lean on the bit like they would a rider with fixed hands?

A friend of mine has been told by her instructor to hack her horse out in a Harbridge all the time. I have to say I feel a bit uncomfortable about it as his head is pretty strapped down. What do you think?

Apalacia01

Visit site
I would say it would be fine if quite loose - but you can't take them off as quickly (or loosen them) as you would draw reins ....so if something went wrong and horse threw a wobbly you could have a problem. My old dressage instructor rode the ponio in them a few times though, and as Arwen said, it did help with consistency. As long as they are not the type to really fight draw reins, and as long as the are not restrictive (i.e lengthening for canter etc) I don't have a major problem in experienced hands.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]

I have ridden in side reins a few times. It is not for everyone but it actually did help this particular horse's way of going and encouraged consistency.

[/ QUOTE ]
My instructor has recommended their use on some horses and one of his pupils always rides in them prior to jumping though I'm not sure how they work because they were very loose...
I've also heard of them recommended for horses that persistently snatch at the reins.

Silverspring

Visit site
I think she means you have no control over how the horse moves in the side reins as they are so fixed not that they give you no control...if you know what I mean?

If they work for your horse then that's a good thing
smile.gif

I do think they are overly used as a lunging aid, they number of horse at my yard that break at the pole, over bend, drop behind the veritcal or just plain lean on them when they have them on and the owners think they looks just fabulous
crazy.gif

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
Forgot to say I have always used them with inserts so there is an 'element' of give.
smile.gif

As Apalacia says though if the horse throws a wobbly you could get into trouble. Hence why use with caution and not on your own, just in case.

mossy

Visit site
I have never ridden with side reins on and never would, i actually think it could be quite dangerous and don't see any benefits from it. Just my opinion, so if you do ride in them i'm not saying your wrong just that i wouldn't!!!

pocket

Visit site
I would never advocate riding in side reins, its quite dangerous, restricts the horse and should really only be used when lunging the horse.

Annette4

Visit site
A pony where I learnt to ride was ridden in them loosely....can't remember why but it was to do with her taking advantage of the children I think. She was schooled properly and ridden without them by the staff though so I presume it was to do with her taking advantage or leaning on small people.

jellyshake

Visit site
my daughter rides her pony in them as he is a little sod otherwise and will spend the whole ride eating and generally taking the pee, they have elastic inserts and are just tight enough to stop him pulling her out of the saddle, no different to a daisy rein on a pony really
confused.gif

for horses i personally wouldn't ride in them, too fixed and restrictive and for mine unnecessary

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Surely the horse would just learn to lean on the bit like they would a rider with fixed hands?

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny you should say that!! The other day when I was riding my instructor's young horse, he gave me a boll*cking for NOT fixing my hand and essentially booting him into a contact. I didn't understand at all and it was very very hard
frown.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Couple of aspects.

First up is the fact that you are essentially tying the horses head in; lose or not. Watch a horse if it stumbles, its natural reaction is to shoot its head up to help regain balance. You tie the head in and it cant do this. While most will argue that they know their horse inside out and can trust it etc, there is always the risk of there being a problem. With drawreins you can at least release that contact fast in the case of an emergency (although i dont advocate their use either), with side reins, you cant.

Next up its a fixed contact which isnt something id ever want to encourage a horse to become dependent on. They can lean very easily on side reins resulting in a front heavy problem. A horse needs to be able to work into a riders own hand and accept the finesse that this has. Working a horse correctly takes a lot of this and the horse needs to learn to understand all the intricacies of the hand.

I guess my question would be - why do you want to ride in side reins and what are you hoping to get out of it?

mickey

Visit site
I don't ride in side reins and I wouldn't want to as I worry about the danger aspect.
frown.gif

I do think there are cases of lunging horses in side reins though, esp if you are teaching a horse to work from back to front even if it is a fixed contact - just don't overdo it.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I've done it once on a 'problem' horse with no mouth who had learnt to put her head up and sideways and then gallop off. She was lunged in them first and once the worst of the temper was out, I got on and rode.

Certainly took the danger aspect out although it was rather unpleasant when she reared up. She was a thorougly spoilt mare though. I woudln't really consider using them on most horses personally but I'm sure in expert hands they have their place.

We do use them in the stable to put a mouth on youngsters as my boss believes it helps to teach the horse to soften to the bit as he learns that leaning on himself achieves nothing. Only for 10mins at a time though immediately before riding. Then they come off. I've not seen it done before - will probably be shot down in flames but I do as I'm told, me!