Riding in the Dark?????

Dogbetty141

Visit site
I have reading through post and it seems to me that a lot of fellow riders do not agree that horse should ride out in the dark at night?

I work throughout the day 9 till half 5 and by that time in winter it is pitch black. Now we have a menage on our yard but an outdoor one now most nights it gets booked up or is very boggy through rain as it is sand. I do tend to school a lot more through the winter but I do ride out in the dark with lights on and reflectives. What is wrong with this? If i no lights on id be dead and I know that so what do people have against riders with reflectives and flashing lights?

I could not possibly keep riding my horse every night in the menage he would not be happy and I feel you should ride your horse out at least 2 times a week to keep them sane.

Does everyone disagree with me am I bad horse owner??

riotgirl

Visit site
I don't because I have a very green horse who isn't 100% on the roads. In the dusk/dark she is extremely spooky and sees gremlins everywhere so I just don't risk it!

Petrie

Visit site
I don't see a problem with it if you have lights on, your horse is used to it, and the roads are safe.

I guess it would be very hazardous on a young or spooky horse, on busy roads.

But, it's your life and your horse, so you know best!

I don't myself because our roads are too busy, and I'd be worried about falling down a hole in the fields!

Salcey

Visit site
If your ok with it, and you feel safe on your horse, and you feel you are seen by other road users I can't see whats wrong with it. However, with our dark bendy country roads round here I just wouldn't feel safe enough. We've had on accident involving a car on a sunny Sunday afternoon so just wouldn't chance even with flashing lights

jinglejoys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The thing is there are so many drivers out there that are not horse aware in the daytime so i wouldnt chance it in the dark..not for me at all!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on that one ladylisa !
grin.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
[quote
I'm with you on that one ladylisa !
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My point of view exactly! The lanes round here are bad enough in the daytime and I don't think drivers would expect to see a horse (no matter how well lit up) out in the dark. Wouldn't risk it personally round here.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have ridden out after dark on quiet roads and in Epping Forest.

My TB was very steady - I wouldn't have ridden out my daft WB.

Always rode out with another person and we had more lights and reflectives than you could image - even a camping fluorescent light tube hung over our backs. You name it - that part had a light on.

In the forest, lights off and a very enjoyable ride, particularly on a frosty full moon evening.

Did see a few "interesting" things though
shocked.gif
blush.gif

sorona

Visit site
My daugther will be racing int he New Forest Bosing day point to point so at this time of year she is always riding int he dark but luckily she doesnt have to do any road work if she doesnt want to so the traffic is rarely a problem. Many people int he new forest are int he same sitaution getting their horses/ponies fit enough for the race. As long as your horse is sane and you are well enough lit up and the roads arent too hazerdous then I dont see a problem, however I have been knows to crawl the car behind my daugther when she has been caught out on the road and it has got dark as i do feel uneasy about it although drivers int eh forest should be on the lookout for ponies all the time day or night as they roam the whole place anyway!

pottamus

Visit site
I would never ride out where I am or anywhere in the dark. I live on narrow country lanes so it would not be safe. My husband would not allow me to put myself or horse at risk anyway...even if I wanted to. Perhaps it is ok if you have no roadwork to do...but I would want to read the small print on my insurance first! You know what they are like!

LifeofRiley

Visit site
I won't go out on the road in the dark - mainly because the roads are too busy where we are... but I do ride round the fields in the dark as I get bored in the school. Having said that there are others at my yard who regulary hack out in the dark, with lights etc of course

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
IMO it is just not worth the risk, lights or no lights. Yes lights help but from a moving car there is still not a true idea of what you are passing. As a child we did not have a school and lights and despite knowing our fields like the back of my hand I did not ride in them in the dark. I accepted I would not ride nearly so much during the winter. It is not so much the fact of what your horse might do but the reaction of the motorists. a big no no in my book.

Sparklet

Visit site
I have ridden round a well lit, quiet housing estate before. Was quite a pleasant change and I certainly didnt feel vulnerable. I would not ride out from current yard because despite being in a quietish village it is not as well lit.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Where I am riding is a well lit up housing estate the roads are busy but we are well light up with lights and reflectives on and all the streets are lit up byt street lights there is not one area of the roads that we ride on that are not light up and the village is very quiet which is normally were I ride around.

Do you think this is ok?

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
I don't think you are mad at all.
Although Benj is having a couple of months off, we always ride out on the roads in the dark. We are top to toe in lumie, flashing and reflective gear.
I find it better riding on the roads in the dark as you know when a car is coming. Gives you a bit more time.
P x

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys I will continue to ride with all the gear on and my TB is safe on the roads and also I forgot to mention I always ride in conmpany

Thanks
xx

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did see a few "interesting" things though
shocked.gif
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Am intrigued! lol

[/ QUOTE ]
This is epping forest!! Nice dark car parks?
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can be quite embarassing when you are riding with the younger ones tho!
blush.gif

ClaireH78

Visit site
Riding on the road in the dark, personally I wouldn't do it.

Where we are cars are bad enough in the light let alone the dark and we are a fairly large horsey community.

I think that not only is it dangerous to yourself and horse if a car hit you it could also cause serious injury to driver and passengers in that car. Or the driver of a car who is driving at the speed limit but due to the dark and shadows still didn't see you could hit you and imagine how they would feel having that on their concience for the rest of their lives.

I came across a rider in flouresents and lights when I was driving up to my yard and because I know its a horsey area I am far more aware than an average driver but it was still not good enough for me to see them until fairly close by a different driver may not have been able to stop in time.

I really don't think its worth the risk.

This year I have access to off-road hacking, although I still have to do this in the dark in fact I rode in the dark for the first time on Tuesday and scared myself senseless! Last year I wasn't so lucky and rode in the school during the week. I just made the most of the weekend to hack out.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I wouldnt hack out in the dark, definately not. I just dont think its safe, what happens if your horse chucked you off or something - even if the horse has reflective stuff on, if its galloping flat out along a road it has a much higher chance of NOT being spotted by a motorist than in daylight.

Im just paranoid though about hacking! I rarely hack even during the day (having had one too many nasty incidents). I guess if you were riding out along very quiet country tracks where there's no traffic then its ok, or through a lighted area like a village etc.

I have the same problem - I have 3 horses to keep competition fit yet only have a (usually VERY wet and muddy) paddock to ride in, and I often dont get back til after 5 either. I do find it very hard to ride! I dont get to ride everyday, far from it. But I try to do enough to keep them ticking over. You dont know how much I wish for a sand school with lighting........!!! I think it would totally change my riding at home!

evsj

Visit site
The household cav and other horsey units in London do their morning exercise at around 5 a.m. in central areas of the city (or they used to) throughout the winter - they couldn't move for cars at any other time.
I used to hack onto Salisbury plain in the dark because our yard led straight onto it. However, did ride straight into an eletric fence once, got bucked-off onto a tank track and horsey ran back to the yard - spend the next few days with a very sore rump (me not horse).

As long as you weigh up the risks and make sure you are lit up like a Christmas tree then you should be ok. Got to be better than the two dimwitted teenagers from my yard who I passed yesterday at 5.30 pm in torrential rain on dark bay horses with NO flourescent or reflective gear on whatsoever. I nearly didn't see them at all!

Kezza

Visit site
what lights do you use to hack in the dark? I have access to off road farmland which I ride round regularly and hope to continue to do so through winter evenings with my friend. We have bought some lights which strap round your head to light the way as there are no lights out on the farm, are they sufficient?

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I don't actually use lights at all for lighting the way as such because I find they cause a lot more shadows which scare me senseless. A lot of the younger kids do and they seem ok with them. You will be surprised how much you can actually see in the dark. If there is a moon, it is really quite bright. I do wear plenty of fluorescent stuff though and have got a flashing waistcoat. That is more so that other riders see us coming and we get a few cyclists in the woods of a night. (I would like to add that I rarely go out on my own)!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have flashing bands on my hat, arms, legs, large flashing lights on horse's tail, martingale, and stirrups.

Then flourscent rug, tail guard, leg wraps, bridle parts, jacket, boot straps, gloves, whip and hat cover with lots and lots of relflective strips stuck on everywhere.

Finally a headlamp on my hat and a sam brown belt with lights attached.

If people cannot see two horses decked out like that, then it really would not make a difference whether it was day or night - we used to have a glow everywhere we went that could be seen at distance - I know as I have encountered two of my mates riding out in the same garb.

Epping Forest - a very rude place after dark - cars - inside and out, bushes and in the middle of High Beech plain for all to see up against a tree!!!!