Riding in the Lake District

ArklePig

Visit site
Mr ArklePig and I have covid (again) and are indulging in escapism by planning our holiday for August, yay.

We're heading to a wedding just outside Cockermouth and are staying for 5 days. I've been googling furiously for somewhere to ride but hard to tell what the best options are. Bonus points for someone who'll take me on a half day/full day ride so I can send him walking up a mountain and not feel like I'm abandoning him.

Extra extra bonus points for somewhere that will let me ride a fell pony.

Also up for other slightly random horsey experiences-have already spotted the place with the Friesans but it's £££, though I am considering it.

Would love to hear some recommendations-willing to drive a bit of a distance, I just want ponies lol. Thanks :)

cumbriamax

Visit site
Bradley's Riding School Ennerdale near Cleator. They have fell ponies, they also breed them under the prefix Kinniside. Their horses and ponies also live out on the fell, they breed shires also. It's an old school trekking centre. We went there for a trek last year and really enjoyed it total change of scenery for us. I got to ride a shire. Only about quarter of an hour from Cockermouth too.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Witherslack Hall in South Lakes. Bit of a drive from Cockermouth but a lovely place. Not sure if they do longer treks either but I would enquire.

Rookin House Activity Centre near Penrith. Not too far off from Cockermouth, definitely do longer private rides. Have some very nice horses and cater to more experienced riders as well as doing trekking trekking.

dominobrown

Visit site
Rookin house, do half and full day rides and cater for riders if you don’t want just a beginner ride. Only half an hour from cockermouth

also have fell ponies, depending on height/ weight etc and availability

Moobli

Visit site
Witherslack Hall in South Lakes. Bit of a drive from Cockermouth but a lovely place. Not sure if they do longer treks either but I would enquire.

I’d second Witherslack Hall if you don’t mind travelling. It’s a bit over an hour’s drive from Cockermouth. They do longer rides as well as the usual lessons etc. Its my home area, although I’ve lived in Scotland for over 15 years now and it’s beautiful and a bit more off the beaten track then the main Lakes.
https://www.witherslackridingschool.co.uk/hacks-treks-and-trails/

suebou

Visit site
I’d third witherslack! Lots of different horses, including at least one Fell. Fab owners, good varied riding.

ArklePig

Visit site
Thank you everyone, lots of nice recommendations here! Definitely up for a heavy horse too, I rode a Clydesdale outside Ayr last year and I'm not really exaggerating when I say I think about him every day. I have two days I can spare to ride so will hopefully fit in two of these recommendations.

TRECtastic

Visit site
We stayed at witherslack Hall with our horses when we took them to Scotland a few years back
Super helpful and lovely place with plenty of outriding, we found a smashing honesty tea room while hacking out and had tea and scones there
Lovely area and it wasn't anywhere near as crowded as other parts of the lakes