Riding in the pentlandite - parking options Covid update

McFluff

Visit site
Hi

Looking for any advice or experience of taking horses to ride in the Pentlands recently (ie with the Covid restrictions being slowly lifted). Arranging to meet up with friends (so two cars with trailers, and trying to work out where best to park). Coming from the east. I’ve never been before and will try and do a reccy trip, but any local knowledge would be good. All my usual hacking is just not an option just now (beaches are like Benidorm, but with less sun!) just now.

Thanks

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I livery at Swanston, I believe with permission from the Estate Owner you may visit and park there to hack from, as long as you follow all the bio security in place (i.e. do not hack through the farm / livery yard).

Maybe drop them an email.

McFluff

Visit site
Thank you Jenni_
That’s worth a try. My friend spoke to the ranger service and they’ve advised that all the usual car parks are full early at the weekend and that we would be likely to get parked in!

McFluff

Visit site
Totally agree - countryside code is a foreign concept for the majority. And don’t start me on the rubbish and fires and other damage , as well as the use of the countryside as a giant loo...

Jnhuk

Visit site
I livery at Swanston, I believe with permission from the Estate Owner you may visit and park there to hack from, as long as you follow all the bio security in place (i.e. do not hack through the farm / livery yard).

Maybe drop them an email.
Jenni, I emailed them after you sugested this to me & they said they did not have parking for access to the Pentlands. It is not something they want to open up to people for lots of reasons. Suggestion was to use the car park at Lothianburn just across from the Esso Garage. I still not made it up to that end of the Pentlands. The south bit has some nice routes but parking is an issue too.

Last edited:

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Jenni, I emailed them after you sugested this to me & they said they did not have parking for access to the Pentlands. It is not something they want to open up to people for lots of reasons. Suggestion was to use the car park at Lothianburn just across from the Esso Garage. I still not made it up to that end of the Pentlands. The south bit has some nice routes but parking is an issue too.

The car par at Lothianburn is one of the car parks I meant - it isn't bad and you can get access straight up onto the hills from there. The other car park I've seen lorries in is the one down from the Brasserie at the golf academy...