Riding in the rain?

millieconnellx

Visit site
I really want to ride my pony today, as I haven't rode her once this whole week, the farrier has only just come out to shoe her, yesterday. I am going to purchase a waterproof exercise sheet this morning, and am preparing to wear my hi-viz quilted jacket, as it is rather cold. I live in the East Midlands, and the weather forecast is light rain:p. Do you ride in the rain?
I don't think my parents will let me, for some reason? I just have a feeling, haha.
Anyway, she is out 24/7, so if she's a little damp when I get up there, I was going to dry her off with a towel? Would that be okay? And also, I've read 'do not turn her out when wet and sweating' but she's out 24/7 anyway, and she's not rugged atm, so will it actually matter?:)

Kat

Visit site
If you live in England you pretty much have to ride in the rain! No reason not to.

If your horse is unrugged then you'll need to get the saddle patch dried off before putting the saddle on. You'll be fine to turn out unrugged afterwards.

I wouldn't bother with an exercise sheet for a horse that is turned out unrugged.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If you live in England you pretty much have to ride in the rain! No reason not to.

If your horse is unrugged then you'll need to get the saddle patch dried off before putting the saddle on. You'll be fine to turn out unrugged afterwards.

I wouldn't bother with an exercise sheet for a horse that is turned out unrugged.

Agree. Just make sure you have plenty of hi viz on.

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
Lots of hi viz and a waterproof hi viz saddle cover.
Living in Scotland no choice but to ride in the rain. Bareback and a synthetic bridle reduces tack cleaning :D

millieconnellx

Visit site
I have synthetic saddle, leather bridle though.
Should I get a hi-viz exercise sheet, that's what I was planning to purchase today? As I do have to ride a few country roads:p

shampain

Visit site
Agree - non-horsey friends are always amazed that I ride in the rain, but in this country, there's often very little choice. It's fine provided it's not torrential and/or incredibly windy. Just keep yourself warm. I was out this morning in the rain in a waterproof coat, waterproof trousers over jods (full chaps do the job as well), and a waterproof exercise sheet on my wuss of a TB. However, as she's unrugged I agree that a sheet would be pointless on yours in terms of keeping her dry - just keep yourself wrapped up! My exercise sheet isn't hi-viz, but if you're worried about the roads then either go for that, or hi-viz leg wraps/breastplate/etc, just to give some added visibility.

ARoseforChance

New User
Visit site
I have synthetic saddle, leather bridle though.
Should I get a hi-viz exercise sheet, that's what I was planning to purchase today? As I do have to ride a few country roads:p

As long as you have some visible Hi-Viz on then I really would not bother , but just see how the weather is , it may be nescessary.

Spotsrock

Visit site
I ride in rain all the time or my horses wouldn't stay fit very long and my baby horse would learn very slowly! as long as you allow for possible reduced visibility which it sounds like you have with your high vis you get out there and enjoy. One of mine doesn't mind rain and the other hates it but will crack on anyway. If your parents are likely to say no set out why you want to, fitness for horse and you, health in the outdoors, sticking with your commitment to your horse, making use of what your parents pay for, spending time with your pony, etc etc and ask them to do the same. Take a change of clothes and towel for after just in case you get wet to reassure them. Have fun.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
You can get hi-viz sheets that are mesh or very light-weight, or even the parsons-rump stips might be a good option for your horse, since if youre riding out often in the rain, i do think an exercise sheet makes you really visible on the roads, but if your horse is out naked 24/7 it isnt going to need the waterproof/ warmth of an fleece/wool exercise sheet. Leg wraps are really good because the movement of your horses legs with the hi-viz on them, mean that cars and pedestrians can spot you alot easier. I always were a hat band too, as it means that i can be spotted from alot further away over hedge-rows.
Here are a few links for you to have a look at the kind of things we mean:

http://www.parsonsrump.co.uk/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUORESCE...Wear_Equipment&var&hash=item3ccbd9c5a2&_uhb=1

http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy__se...iz-one-size-mesh-exercise-sheet-rrp-1300/view

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/Equestr...ear/Equisafety+Flashing+Hat+Band_320-0001.htm

indie999

Visit site
Oh ride unless it hammers. Get some waterproof pull over trousers(wear some leggins) and I look like the queen and wear a big cape as that covers the saddle etc and its like riding in a tent.

Yes your tack may get wet. But go out and ride if you want to. One of my best memories of riding was on christmas day on a snow covered field fantastic. (Not ice though)!

Foxhunter49

Visit site
As my grandmother would say when it was raining "You aren't made of sugar so you won't melt!"

I wouldn't bother to get a rain sheet for your pony, he will get to hot under it and feel the change when you finish the ride.

Starzaan

Visit site
I have to ride in the rain. If I didn't ride in the rain, none of my liveries or my own horses would ever get any exercise.

I wouldn't bother with an exercise sheet if your horse is unrugged.

Horses don't melt in the rain.

Karran

Visit site
I hate riding in the rain and will cut it short if I have to or just not bother, not because I hate getting wet (Idiotpony does, but he doesn't count! :p )

But I ride in glasses and not only do I have raindrops sitting on my glasses affecting my vision, I then get loads of condensation on them which is an effort to clear, so as I have to do all my riding out hacking for safety's sake I'd rather put it off until someone invents mini windscreen wipers for me.

Onyxia

Visit site
Unless the weather is so bad that it could make riding dangerous(and I am thinking blizzards and thunderstorms- not wind and a few drops of rain!) I ride.
Why would you not? We live in a country that is more wet then sunny, staying home because it is damp would mean never riding !