Riding in the Wind

JessPickle

Visit site
Pickle reacts badly, gets very spooky! mainly because he hates anything flapping! his worst thing is plastic and as we have huge bales of haylage wrapped in plastic on the yard he alwasy goes nuts!

katiejaye

Visit site
Louis is very sane in rain, hail or snow but he really isn't a big fan of the strong wind! The yard is very exposed and probably the windiest place ever, everywhere else can be just a gentle breeze but the minute I get into the school it's like a tornado has struck! It's been so windy this winter it's been driving me mad! Every time the wind picks up and blows up behind him Louis shoots forward...and as for jumping in the wind...definately exciting! It doesn't unnerve me but it's just annoying trying to have a good schooling session when I am being blown off the horse!

filly190

Visit site
This weekend was quite bad where we live and so my horses did'nt go out. We have to go straight out onto a bendy 60mph country lane, not much traffic but very very fast.

Because of work, am only riding at weekends until the light nights and so my horses tend to be rather fresh for the weekends. If the wind is bad, I prefer to box them up and ride in our local forestry. If its really bad, I dont box.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Louis sounds like mine katie
frown.gif
Can school mine in snow, rain, hail but wind? He goes absolutly mental and i just cant be bothered with it
frown.gif

We're also very exposed and there can be a tiny breeze outside at home that seems to develop into a gale at the stables. Honestly? If its really bad... I dont work him
frown.gif
It sounds a terrible cop out i know but its just not worth the time to try and get him to settle. He's very active in his hind leg and has managed to over reach a couple of times when its been windy.

Today looks like the first time I might get to ride in just under a week
frown.gif

fairhill

Visit site
Meg is as quiet in the wind as she is with any other weather condition. We were hacking out at the weekend, and had lots of plastic bags blowing under her legs, but she didn't react. It's a bit annoying when I'm trying to teach her to go forwards, and can't even rely on the weather to help me!

TGM

Visit site
My horse is fine in the wind but I hate it! I don't like the fact that I can't hear approaching traffic very well when it is windy plus I ride in a lot of wooded areas so worry about falling branches. Plus strong winds just make me feel very tense for some reason. I would much rather ride in the rain than in high winds!

claire1976

Visit site
My horse is fine but if its really windy then I wouldn't ride out from a safety point of view. I have to do a lot of roadwork where cars don't give me much room, if my horse did spook then it could be a disaster. Its interesting that when its really windy you don't see horses running around the field spooking at things but as soon as you tack them up they get edgy!

BBs

Visit site
Horses are fine, I hate it
frown.gif
like TGM, I become very tense. Would much rather ride in rain than wind
ALthough havent ridden for two days as the horses have been very cold just changing rugs etc.
Will ride today tho, wind has dropped YAY.

Fransurrey

Visit site
He's pretty sensible, but I still felt quite bad when I rode out yesterday. We turned a corner and suddenly Siberia hit us, together with a load of dust from the track! I had to close my eyes and felt sorry for my poor boy, who didn't exactly CHOOSE to go out in it. It wasn't so windy at the field!

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Its interesting that when its really windy you don't see horses running around the field spooking at things but as soon as you tack them up they get edgy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true actually, Id never thought of that. Arch was as quiet as a mouse on the yard last night and grazing happily in the field, but as soon as I got on him, it was like sitting on a time bomb!! He's much better now though, a year ago there was no way youve even think about sitting on him even if there was a small breeze!!

Nailed

Visit site
Ted (TB) does nothing.. lol nothing at all. he is perfectly fine with wind, rain, snow, sleet, hail... everything lol.. except road signs which may just jump on him and rip him apart...
Lou x

lucysnapshot

Visit site
my tb who was 4yrs old yesterday is unflappable in the wind, where i live (on a hill) its always very windy but he is a star with anything scary...except puddles

ElleJS

Visit site
My youngster had to do dressage outdoors in that wind yesterday! (Not me riding!)
Got placed even with the dressage markers blowing out underneath him!
However he nearly had a heart attack! Had a little 'moment' out of total horror of the fact that white markers arent supposed to be blown underneath you and then carried on! Bless him....
Cant say I like competing or riding in high winds, I get really tense too.

Blizzard

Visit site
Well my new boy actually had his first hack, alone, through a huge open field with woods last weekend in the bad wind, nowt like seeing how quiet they are LOL.

He was a saint.

Other boy uses the wind as an excuse to pretend to be scared of everything!!

Fleas

New User
Visit site
Eu's is pretty good in the wind, sometimes a little bit spooky, but he has to have one day every 6 weeks or so when he decides to have a goof off day! All the other times he is as laid back as you like, mind you saying that he is not keen on hailstones...

tabithakat64

Visit site
Lady doesn't care about teh wind not keen on things blowing down the road towards her though.
Fudge is spooky but not silly, he just looks, goes sideways, or tries to trot past. Today a bin bag flapped in his face as we went past a bush and we did spook and spin round but nothing serious.

tabithakat64

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Its interesting that when its really windy you don't see horses running around the field spooking at things but as soon as you tack them up they get edgy!

[/ QUOTE ]
Fudge spooks at the wind when he's in the field
laugh.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
Baron is good to ride in the wind, although I cant lunge him if its really windy and raining, he just moves away from the rain
grin.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont even bother riding one of mine if its particularily windy. He's dreadful, and when he spooks - its utter panic and basically he will freak himself out so much that Ill end up coming off!

Other neds are fine in the wind. They're a bit hyper but I find it fun!!