Riding induced (Human!) shin splints?!

orangepony

Visit site
Thought people in here might have some knowledge as to these.

Anyone got any experience of healing/preventative measures for shin splints asdie from the usual resting? I used to get them when running but this season of hunting has oddly re-awakened them. Ideally I know I should rest but with ponies to keep hunting fit and then the event season following shortly afterwards the necessary healing rest in in short supply!
I swear its prolonged periods riding short but I can't see any way round this for faster work? Do I need to buy some of those jazzy bendy stirrups?

If all else fails I'll have to take up being a dressage diva properly;) ...annoyingly I can't wear the patey for that either now!!

Suziq77

Visit site
I don't want to worry you unduly but a friend of mine thought she had shin splints from riding and it eventually turned out to be referred pain from a bulging disc.....

orangepony

Visit site
:eek: That sounds far more scary, although I'm hoping prior experience means that mine are just splints. Did she find that her posture had changed to compensate/alleviate and therefore was seen as related pain in the shins?

Will definately give the compression socks a go, thank you. All ideas gratefully received :)

my mother is quite interested in the sprenger stirrups as a means of reducing concussion (however I have weak ankles too :eek: so have avoided these like the plague so far!).

Anyone have any experience of better/worse shin splints using said flexi stirrups?

FlyingCoo

Visit site
Avoid wearing high heels and wear trainers with big heels or even look up compartmental pressure syndrome!!

Thought I had shin splints for years until a sporty GP spotted something different and referred me and now no longer suffer from pain and have no need for different stirrups.

Other than that sorry no help from what you are already doing rest and ice and wear your ponies magnetic boots :)

rlhnlk

Visit site
Ibuprofen helped when I had a shin splint from running on trainers with the wrong support level, I used to take one dose about half an hour before excercise - not recommended by doctors but it worked very well for me. I think flexi stirrups would probably help aswell.

Shipley

Visit site
I tape mine up with sink oxide tape as per physio did when I was in the army. Also I have sprenger stirrups and agree riding short makes it worse.

orangepony

Visit site
Shipley, do you mean zinc oxide tape? And i assume by taping you mean strapping?

Deep heat I find doesn't alleviate, but the cooling sprays seem to offer some respite :)

Will give them a few weeks to subside with painkillers, flexi stirrups and as much rest as I can manage and of if they are still causing pain will pop along to the GP & get them checked out.

Thanks for all your help x

Shipley

Visit site
yes Sorry iphone changed it yes i have to tape 3 across the shins and i tape my ankle into shins aswell could talk you through it but not sure how to put in a usefull written words

Suziq77

Visit site
:eek: That sounds far more scary, although I'm hoping prior experience means that mine are just splints. Did she find that her posture had changed to compensate/alleviate and therefore was seen as related pain in the shins?

I think that was it yes. Her doctor sent her for xrays of her ankle :confused: but it was our horse osteopath that found the real problem.

I don't have any experience of the stirrups you are actually trying to get feedback on, sorry!

ThePony

Visit site
Similar to above - I just taped mine up! Must admit to using gaffer tape though when I couldn't lay my hands on zinc oxide tape. If you need to go out and buy zinc oxide tape don't bother with boots stuff - just doesn't stick well at all which rather misses the point!

Foxford

Visit site
I was quite a serious runner and was doing some hard winter track sessions. Unfortunately the vibraton of the track caused me to develop shin splints. It took a year for them to go and another year before I was back to normal. If I was starting again I would use compression socks and tape. I'm now really out of the swing of running but am trying to find other ways to exercise.

Look at some orthotics because if the action of putting your heels down is making it worse they might just help.