Riding lesson for 5 yr old.

Evelyn

Visit site
Hello everyone,

New to the forum. Grew up with horses did pony club, competing etc sadly had to sell horses due to financial issues and never got back into riding, partly through time and secondly fear! Its been 25 years now... So my knowledge is rusty!
Anyway, my 5 yr old son is very keen to try riding so this may be a good time for us both. I learnt at Hastoe Hill in Tring, Herts - which seems to have now closed.
Wondered if anyone has any recommendations on riding schools in Bedfordshire or surrounding areas?

Many thanks!

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Hello everyone,

New to the forum. Grew up with horses did pony club, competing etc sadly had to sell horses due to financial issues and never got back into riding, partly through time and secondly fear! Its been 25 years now... So my knowledge is rusty!
Anyway, my 5 yr old son is very keen to try riding so this may be a good time for us both. I learnt at Hastoe Hill in Tring, Herts - which seems to have now closed.
Wondered if anyone has any recommendations on riding schools in Bedfordshire or surrounding areas?

Many thanks!
Have you looked on BHS website? Sadly since Covid a lot of yards have shut down and there are now several unofficial riding schools…BHS have really tightened up on approval process and yards have to jump through a lot of hoops now to get approval. So unfortunately there are lots of dubious ones out there!

I’ve been through a similar experience with my daughter, teaching has changed a lot and there is a lot less risk taking than when we were kids! Shame really as i don’t think the kids progress as well now, one place we went to doesn’t let kids have their reins until they are about 8!! Kept them on the lead rein for far too long it drove me mad!

Facebook groups are also useful for recommendations x

Evelyn

Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I didn't think to look on BHS website. I'm quite concerned with getting a place that is a bit dodgy. Had that when i was a kid and moved on. When i think back though to some of the things we got up to as kids though - not sure they have half as much fun!
Thanks for the help. Will keep looking! :)

Skib

sites.google.com
The RSs near here dont start proper lessons till 8. Before that it is lead out pony rides. But my grandchildren were well taught being led, including riding slopes, up and down ditches, and the start of rising trot. Riding with no stirrups and arms outstretched or round the houses.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Our RS will no longer take children under 6. We used to take little ones but no longer have the help on the ground necessary for leaders, plus the instructor. No matter that finding small suitable ponies is like looking for hens teeth.

Evelyn

Visit site
That's interesting. Seems things have really changed. I as happy to lead (if they'd let me) I'm still on the hunt for somewhere. To think we used start at age 4 and often earlier! Thanks for the replies.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
That's interesting. Seems things have really changed. I as happy to lead (if they'd let me) I'm still on the hunt for somewhere. To think we used start at age 4 and often earlier! Thanks for the replies.
Yes most places won’t teach under 5 due to insurance. It’s very different now!

Snowfilly

Visit site
It really has changed. Some shows near me do lead rein to 10 and first ridden to 12 now which I find bizarre!

And a lot of riding schools won’t do anything much with under 8s at all.

Evelyn

Visit site
Its actually very sad to find this out. Glad I had such carefree times when i was a child. Our local pony club seems very active still, but camp etc is a world away from what we used to get up to! 😆 Have had a couple of recommendations for his age group, hopefully if he does like it he won't be stuck on a lead rein for years though! Seems bizarre! 😐