Riding lesson recommendations - Surrey (Headley/Leatherhead/Epsom/Cobham area)

simsy6

Visit site
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some recommendations for riding lessons in Surrey around the Epsom area (Headley/Leatherhead/Cobham area to be more specific) or any place up to a 30min drive away.

I used to ride at Wildwoods, but their prices went up and they were already too high for me to begin with really, and I wasn't totally in love with the school. I'd ideally like to find a place that is more hands-on, where riders are less catered for in every regard (horses being tacked up for you, put away, etc.,), and friendly with a positive atmosphere. I'm a confident, more advanced rider (formerly very advanced, but I haven't been able to ride consistently because my work schedule and then covid) and would like to take group lessons with the hope of ironing out some habits and becoming better of course.

A little bit of context for what I'm hoping to find: I'm originally from the US and found that the places I used to ride at in the US seemed more personable and hands-on compared to a schools in England. I had never ridden at places where you weren't expected to properly tack up your horse or even brush them, instead just having horses brought out to you and put away when done, sort of like an assembly line. This isn't to say that this is necessarily the wrong way to do riding lessons or run a school, it's just something I've missed and it would be nice to ride at a place like that again.

The places I've ridden here don't seem as easy to make friends at either, but I may have just gotten unlucky -- as an adult, I know it's much harder, but it would a bonus to possibly be at a place where it's possible to make new friends as well. I don't know if I'm looking for the impossible!

A few places that have caught my eye are: Silvermere Equestrian Centre, Lower Farm Stables, and Chessington Equestrian Centre.

Thanks so much for any reccs or advice!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some recommendations for riding lessons in Surrey around the Epsom area (Headley/Leatherhead/Cobham area to be more specific) or any place up to a 30min drive away.

I used to ride at Wildwoods, but their prices went up and they were already too high for me to begin with really, and I wasn't totally in love with the school. I'd ideally like to find a place that is more hands-on, where riders are less catered for in every regard (horses being tacked up for you, put away, etc.,), and friendly with a positive atmosphere. I'm a confident, more advanced rider (formerly very advanced, but I haven't been able to ride consistently because my work schedule and then covid) and would like to take group lessons with the hope of ironing out some habits and becoming better of course.

A little bit of context for what I'm hoping to find: I'm originally from the US and found that the places I used to ride at in the US seemed more personable and hands-on compared to a schools in England. I had never ridden at places where you weren't expected to properly tack up your horse or even brush them, instead just having horses brought out to you and put away when done, sort of like an assembly line. This isn't to say that this is necessarily the wrong way to do riding lessons or run a school, it's just something I've missed and it would be nice to ride at a place like that again.

The places I've ridden here don't seem as easy to make friends at either, but I may have just gotten unlucky -- as an adult, I know it's much harder, but it would a bonus to possibly be at a place where it's possible to make new friends as well. I don't know if I'm looking for the impossible!

A few places that have caught my eye are: Silvermere Equestrian Centre, Lower Farm Stables, and Chessington Equestrian Centre.

Thanks so much for any reccs or advice!

Lomond near Gatwick. Decent schoolmasters.

Sail_away

Visit site
I haven’t been to chessington Efor some years now but it wasn’t hands on, although the horses and the lessons were good.
I wonder if a share would be better for you? And you could have lessons with a freelance instructor? There are so many yards in that area so it shouldn’t be hard to find a share horse.

simsy6

Visit site
I haven’t been to chessington Efor some years now but it wasn’t hands on, although the horses and the lessons were good.
I wonder if a share would be better for you? And you could have lessons with a freelance instructor? There are so many yards in that area so it shouldn’t be hard to find a share horse.
I've been looking around for a share, but people have been pretty flakey about it unfortunately :( With sharing, I'm limiting myself to a much smaller area as well, so less choice. I'm hoping I can luck out, but hasn't happened yet. A share plus freelance lessons would be very ideal.