Riding many horses Vs one horse

seabsicuit2

Visit site
I have been very lucky in the past year in that I've had a lot of nice horses to ride daily, now circumstances have changed and I probably want to get out of working with horses alltogether and maybe just potter about occasionally on my one horse.
The trouble is, now I am only riding the one horse each day,I feel as though I am no longer riding fit and feel principally completely useless when riding my one horse each day. Everything feels so much harder and less instinctive. Even tho I work hard on my fitness off the saddle, the magic is just no longer there, my body just feels like a dead weight in the saddle instead of light and flexible. I honestly feel like a beginner.
Has anyone else felt this way? Surely riding should be like riding a bike you never forget how to do it!!

bananaloaf

Visit site
I can relate to that. I filmed myself schooling the other day and was appalled when I watched it back! I honestly feel like I was a much better, more positive and instinctive rider when I was about 10...

TarrSteps

Visit site
Yup and nope. :)

Riding is like any other physical activity, KNOWING how to do it is only one aspect. In order to perform optimally you have to practice and, if you're not practising enough, your practical skills, if not your theoretical ones will drop off. It's not just a sport thing either, it's the same for music and art and all manner of mental pursuits as well.

You don't use it, you lose it.

Of course this is relative and someone with a high skill and experience level who never rides may still be better if they do get on a horse than someone who rides at a lower level every day. I've seen this with trainers that never ride - one I know who had been a star in his youth but had not been seen on a horse in a decade jumped on a client's horse at a show for some reason, in his street clothes, omnipresent cigarette clamoured firmly between his teeth (he did put down his equally omnipresent beer though) and completely rode it like he stole it. We all stood around with our mouths open until he finally handed the horse back, having proved his point, picked up his beer and returned to his seat on the rail. :)

I think it's worse if you have ridden to quite a high level though, as you can't miss what you've never had but, if you're used to being fit and strong you're going to notice when you're not.

C'est la vie, I guess.