Riding on pebble beaches

metalmare

Visit site
I was in Norfolk recently and there were lots of pebble beaches. I imagine these are quite unsuitable for riding in case the shingle slides under the horse's weight and because of the effect on the horses limbs. I just wondered whether anyone could confirm this suspicion or whether I am wrong as I'm considering moving to Norfolk and would like to know where I stand should I ever be invited to ride on a shingle beach.

LCobby

Visit site
Depends what part of Norfolk

if you go to the North coast, between Hunstanton and Wells, riding on miles of long flat sands at Holme and Holkham is ideal
If you live within an easy box run, parking for horseboxes is at Holkham,and not seasonal or time restrictions on taking hroses on the beach

metalmare

Visit site
Thank you for that - great info! I'd really like to be near to Wells but house prices there are through the roof. Inland towards Fakenham seems more affordable. I won't have a trailer myself but there is always the chance of sharing the cost with fellow liveries. There seem to be lots of nice yards in Norfolk and some very reasonable prices, too. I haven't got a horse at the moment - sold before I started uni two years ago so this is all theoretical at the moment, but Tom and I have no wish to stay in Derbyshire - we want to be near(ish) to the sea. We stopped in Wells a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it!

hellybelly6

Visit site
I used to live in norfolk and there is no way I would go on a pebble beach. As Lcobby said ...

You are lucky moving there, its a very horsey area with great hacking. I used to do a YTS at a yard near Fakenham at Stiffkey.

metalmare

Visit site
Drove through Stiffkey a few times - lovely place. Love that whole area but I'm not sure how close to the coast itself we'll be able to afford to live. Fakenham is affordable but I want to live in the smallest village possible. Have to see what the market does over the next 6-8 months!

hellybelly6

Visit site
Yes I love that area too, but its so pricey. I thought Little and great snoring had great names.

I like Holt, but its expensive.

To be near the sea, have you thought of Mundesley?

I hope you find somewhere soon.