Riding on the Beech

Janee

Visit site
We are planning a trip to the beech, Southport way, and I would love to hear your experiences and gleen any hints and advice. We have never done this and are so excited but also a bit nervous.:):):):eek::eek::eek:

Love

Visit site
Wrap up warm! But most importantly have fun! Best experience on horseback so far for me was riding on the beach :) never galloped so fast or for as long on my life. We'll need photos too!!

linperrie

Visit site
I think if you go to formby by pontins you can pay to get on there and loads of horses go there. I went on a rather nice as spring day....as well as every adult and child with a kite it seemed! So it scared the wits out of my horse so advice is to go on a cold cold day when the kite b****ers stay at home!

Janee

Visit site
I think if you go to formby by pontins you can pay to get on there and loads of horses go there. I went on a rather nice as spring day....as well as every adult and child with a kite it seemed! So it scared the wits out of my horse so advice is to go on a cold cold day when the kite b****ers stay at home!

I don't think ponies have seen kites before, that might be too much fun!!

neddy man

Visit site
where in west yks ?Bradford is same distance to southport as to friasthorpe -----------at fraisthorpe beach is 8 miles long and you park at the beach -----look at low tide times to decide on best venue

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
a lot of places say no faster than trot....but we cme to the conclsion that none of the "officials" knew what trot was let alone the difference between trot and flat out gallop

Darremi

Visit site
Just be careful because sometimes the sand at the beach can be a little uneven with pockets of deep sand. Our beach has much worse quality sand after a storm or heavy rain.

Janee

Visit site
where in west yks ?Bradford is same distance to southport as to friasthorpe -----------at fraisthorpe beach is 8 miles long and you park at the beach -----look at low tide times to decide on best venue

Changed coast as the west is not so good, so setting off for friasthorpe soon, thanks nm, anyone been recently?

JANANI

Visit site
I assume you have checked what the sand is like. There is one of the beaches close to me which goes from soft to hard to soft etc which I would not use yet others do.

JANANI

Visit site
Don't panic. I am not from your area. Just it is something I would check out before you set out for a long gallop.

Hope you have a great time.

Last edited:

quirky

Visit site
Go with somebody who knows where to go on the sands.
I was involved in a what could have been fatal to horse and rider accident on Southport beach over 10 years ago.
Horses were racing, lead horse went into what rider thought was a puddle. Both rider and horse completely disappeared into a gully. Thankfully rider managed to get out from under horse. Horse was lucky enough to have head out of water whilst he recovered from the shock, before hauling himself out.

I go to Blackpool or Pilling beach, the surfaces are less changeable and safer imo.

neddy man

Visit site
fraisthorpe is a very consistent surface ,at low tide there is 1/2 mile of beach , at high tide 100 yds of beach , very flat beach, walk and trot away from transport ,check depth of any pools [there wont be many ,if any .] then you know how the surface is and can have some good canters or gallops heading back .Access of the A615 then single carriageway takes you to the beach

Janee

Visit site
Thank you. We went yesterday, had a fab time, took 4 ponies/horses and as none of them had ever been to the beach went gently along. The ex racer blew his mind, so that was partly why we were steady, he became unrideable but when we lead him had a lovely time splashing in the puddles and walking with the others. Fat pony and a little cutie who came along took to it like a ducks to water and they managed a canter in a few shallow puddles. We will be going again, "cos at the very least ex racer needs to try again lol

Goldenstar

Visit site
Some horses find the beach very very spooky at first.
lots of people use the beachs for pleasure and do lots of wierd ( to horses ) things there so my advise would be to go early the first time when it's going to be quiet.