Riding on the road in a halter. Horse bolts!

Wideyes

Visit site
Hi all, I'm needing some advice on an incident that happened yesterday at my livery yard. I've been there 6 weeks now and just had a run in with two of the women there :/
I have field grazing with a shelter down the road a little way from the main yard. On the other side of the lane are two women on their field. We where getting on very well Until yesterday.
I have two horse, one is a youngster who is 4 in may. So very young and was only backed two months ago. She was for me but never grew big enough. So now she is my 14 year old daughters horse. She has perfect manors and is coming on wonderfully. But because she is young I am always very careful about letting my daughter take her out alone. Her trainer says she does have to go out alone or she will become the kind of horse that will only go out in company. So I do let my daughter take her to the end of the country lane unaccompanied.
I was waiting in my field poo picking while she went for a quick ride and I heard a horse bolting up the lane and a kid screaming, then a very bad fall and agonizing screaming. It sounded very bad!
My first reaction was to panic thinking it was my daughter and I ran, shouting her name.
It turned out to be another kid lying in the road with he legs bent back underneath her. Her horse had ran into some hedges and after telling the girl to lie still while a friend of mine stayed with her I caught the horse. I saw it was only wearing a halter and I lost it! I was already shaken up and so worried the horse had bolted past my daughter on her horse. I was expecting her to come flying around the corner at any minute or was lying in the road farther up. I was so upset.
The owner came marching up and I told her "how irresponsible she was to let a child ride a huge horse in a halter, on the road, in traffic and around other horses. The kid had no body protector even. I told her, her horse needed biting or a properly fitted bitless bridle. Not a bloody halter! I told her my daughter was on the same road just a few yards up. She told me they had past my daughter before the horse bolted and that I was over reacting. I said lucky for you as I would have sued you if my daughter got hurt because of your carelessness. She said I couldn't sued her has she had no insurance. So she didn't even have public liability
She said if i didn't think my daughter could handle her horse, then she shouldn't be on the road. My daughter is a very competent rider. I said even I, with 32 years of riding experience would find it hard to hold my horse back with another horse bolting past it!
I know these things happen. But if you take every precaution to protect you, the horse and other road users weather it be riders or traffic, then you have done your best. But having your granddaughter ride out in a halter on a horse she hadn't ridden before. Lunacy!
I did loose my rag a bit and I could hear them slagging me off from their field. I did walk back over and apologize for loosing my tempers and calling her stupid. But I told her "you have to understand it was putting my daughter at risk and your granddaughter and any one driving a car by and the horse. The highway code says "Never ride without a properly fitted bridle"
Was I wrong? I'm now worried they will tit tattle to our land lady and course trouble for me.
All I know is I want my daughter and my horses to be safe around responsible riders.
The granddaughter was taken to A&E. I'm hoping she is ok and just a bit bruised and shuck up :(

Last edited:

Thriller

Visit site
It is in the Highway Code that a rider must have a properly fitted bridle on the horse. If she has caused an accident because of this incident, then she would have been in a lot of bother. Not sure why she thinks you can't sue her because she has no insurance? That would work against her in this case! I know back in the day all the riding school horses were hacked up the road bareback in halters - but traffic was not as fast, not as large and people were in general in less of a rush. I would never in a million years ride on the road in a halter.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
What kind of halter was it? A rope halter?

You are not wrong to be upset and you are correct that the highway code states you must wear a saddle and a bridle.

On the other hand, if a horse bolts, it bolts. A true bolt is a fear response and no amount of bitting will stop that. Would you have felt differently about the situation if the horse was wearing a bridle and bit? What about a bitless bridle?

I completely agree with you about the fact a child on a big horse on the road alone is a silly idea and it could have been much worse, but if the responsible adults are willing to allow this, there isn't much we, as outsiders, can do other than droping round a copy of the Highway code for their Perusal.

I hope she makes a full recovery and your daughter came back unharmed.

debsflo

Visit site
Im afraid that there are some stupid people in all walks of life. You are right to be worried and i would try not to doubt your own judgement. Hope your daughter was ok and i feel sorry for the grandaughter who probably didnt know any better with irresponsible adults like that. If you are nearby just try and be aware of them .

Wideyes

Visit site
It was a rope halter. I know in the USA they are used sometimes for riding. But they have a lot of trail riding and open plains not all road work. I ride myself in a hackamore for off ride hacking sometimes. In some private woodland and in some fields. But never on the road and certainly not in a halter.
The horse wasn't bolting out of fear. It had galloped off with the girl because she had lost control and the horse was a bit big and strong for her to stop. Especially in just a halter. When I caught it, it was very exited, but not scared.
As I said before. I told the lady the horse needed a bit or a properly fitted bitless bridle. So yes I would have felt differently. Because the owner would have taken every precaution to avoid putting riders in danger.
Riding in a halter on roads was an accident waiting to happen.

Wideyes

Visit site
My daughter was fine :) She had just passed the girl before the incident and was a few yards behind. She came up smiling and relaxed. Much to my relief. Willow was super chilled and was wondering what all the fuss was about.
I'm not sure how the granddaughter is as they didn't speak today (probably for the best until some time passes) I'm hoping she was fine. But I think she probably is very sore today at the least. Tarmac isn't the most forgiving surface to throw down on :/

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
This is exactly the issue I have with the Parelli/NH movement - kiddies copying irresponsible 'experts' who are setting a very bad example. The average rider simply doesn't have the time or knowledge to be able to train a horse to a high enough standard for it to be safe on the road when ridden in a halter, they just think they do until something like this happens.
I wondered how long it'll be before a calamity like this results in a fatality. There is no real control with those halters when they are used from the back of the horse, it's basic mechanics. I'd have b*****d them too, regardless of whether anyone was/could've been injured. Hopefully the kid will have the sense to at least put a proper bridle on for roadwork now, and save the horse whispering for arena work.

Wideyes

Visit site
My point exactly. When I said "Your horse needs a bit!" The grandmother said "I will never put a bit in my horses mouth!" I said "well use a proper bitless bridle then!" She told me her horse was Parelli trained and usually wasn't a problem. She also argued the horse was 20. I said it didn't matter the age of the horse. Even an older horse can still have it's young moments. I've known some older horses that still think they are 5 and as for being Parelli trained. It may be something that was done a long time ago. But I don't think she has continued with the training. The horse is semi retired and that's the first time it's been ridden in a while. Like you say. It takes a lot of continuous training to a high standard. I like natural horsemanship and use it in part myself. But it has it's place.
I don't blame the girl as it was her grandmother who was the owner and called the shots on tack. I hope she has learned from it. But I doubt it as she didn't think she did anything wrong and even carried on arguing when I went over to apologize.
I feel a lot better, knowing I'm not the only one who would have been upset.

Wiz201

Visit site
A bitted bridle won't make a difference if a horse decides to bolt. We've had one of the RDA ponies get stung by a wasp and he galloped round the arena a few times before the instructor in the carriage could stop him.

Wideyes

Visit site
It wasn't a bolt in fear. It was him getting over exited and wanting to get home. the rider lost control and didn't have the strength to stop him.

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
A bitted bridle won't make a difference if a horse decides to bolt. We've had one of the RDA ponies get stung by a wasp and he galloped round the arena a few times before the instructor in the carriage could stop him.

It didn't bolt, op already stated that. It ran away because it didn't have appropriate tack on. A blind bolt is a completely different situation, and thankfully rare. Would you drive a car with no brakes? They can still fail but you'd feel safer driving with them in place would you not?

Booboos

Visit site
You are right, the horse should have had a bridle on and the whole situation was a risk to the rider and other road users, however I don't think you approached this the right way. The priority should have been to look after the rider, secure the horse and make sure everyone was safe. You should have allowed things to calm down and then talked to the grandmother sensibly without swearing.

nianya

Visit site
Oh god...the Parelli followers are the worst. I don't know how often you come across them in the UK, but in the US I would run into them all the time always doing stupid and often dangerous things with their horses. In my experience they apply techniques without understand what they are doing or why (see "my horse will never be bitted because Parelli") and are most often a danger to everyone around them. I made a point to avoid those people at every barn I was at.

Sounds like this horse is too much for the girl though, regardless of halter/bridle and she shouldn't be riding out on her own. I hope she's ok. Have to agree with Booboos though. I understand you were upset and worried about your daughter, but that wasn't the time to bring up your concerns. They are not likely to listen now.

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Oh god...the Parelli followers are the worst. I don't know how often you come across them in the UK, but in the US I would run into them all the time always doing stupid and often dangerous things with their horses. In my experience they apply techniques without understand what they are doing or why (see "my horse will never be bitted because Parelli") and are most often a danger to everyone around them. I made a point to avoid those people at every barn I was at.

Yep we get at least one in each village over here. It's bizarre how they are brainwashed by it even though they clearly don't understand what it is they are doing. Parelli training at high level is effective but abusive imo. Luckily the vast majority of it's followers are neither effective nor abusive, the worst result usually is a confused bolshy horse with no manners and a condescending, very deluded owner.
I view the owners in the same way I view religious nutters, best avoided where possible and humored briefly if contact is unavoidable .

Wideyes

Visit site
Booboo, If you read my post properly, you would have seen that I made sure the girl was safe in the hand of my very capable friend while I caught the horse who could have ran all they way to the end of the road which leads to a motorway. Even though my priority should have been to make sure my own daughter was safe. So after, I was off down the road to find her and that is when I met up with the owner.
As for swearing. Since when is calling someone "stupid" and "irresponsible" swearing!
Do you have children Booboo? If you do you would understand a mothers right to be angry when the owners stupidity put my daughter at risk as well as her granddaughter. I was well in my right to be angry and to tell off the owner. She was lucky I didn't shout and swear at her.

Wideyes

Visit site
nianya, They spoke to me yesterday and all is fine, although a bit condescending on their part. One of the ladies said they collectively have over 30 years of horse experience (I have 35 yrs of experience all of my own and still have a lot to learn) and the horse is parelli trained. I said "yes but parelli training is a continuous thing. You can't teach it for a couple of years and then just ride the horse out once a month and expect the horse to remember everything it learned years ago" The other lady (not the owner) agreed with me. but said the owner had been to ill to take out the horse for a couple of months. So that's the first time it was ridden in a while. That's probably why it did what it did. I do understand I shouldn't have got annoyed, like I already said in my post. But I was in my rights to do so. Many people would have done the same. But I was nice enough to apologies for that. Other people who saw the incidence said They wouldn't have. But that wouldn't help anyone.

Last edited:

Wideyes

Visit site
lastchancer, Haha! That's exactly what these ladies are like. I feel like a JW has knocked on my door when they start preaching their views on parelli to me.
Even I know that horse is not properly or regularly parelli trained.

Last edited:

Wideyes

Visit site
Wiz201, I always feel bolting doesn't just refer to a horse running in fear. Wiki describes it as "the practice of running away without control" This horse was running and the girl had no control.

Wideyes

Visit site
lastchancer
Your comment about driving without brakes is a good example. I was thinking the same but about hats. When the lady said "these things happen" I don't disagree. But you take every precaution to be safe. Riding without a bridle is like riding without a hat.

Booboos

Visit site
Booboo, If you read my post properly, you would have seen that I made sure the girl was safe in the hand of my very capable friend while I caught the horse who could have ran all they way to the end of the road which leads to a motorway. Even though my priority should have been to make sure my own daughter was safe. So after, I was off down the road to find her and that is when I met up with the owner.
As for swearing. Since when is calling someone "stupid" and "irresponsible" swearing!
Do you have children Booboo? If you do you would understand a mothers right to be angry when the owners stupidity put my daughter at risk as well as her granddaughter. I was well in my right to be angry and to tell off the owner. She was lucky I didn't shout and swear at her.

I do have children and so does your neighbour and it was her child/grandchild that was injured so she probably felt stressed, worried and responsible...all of which makes people feel defensive. Shouting and calling her stupid (which is a swear word by the way) is unlikely to have worked.

Did it work? Did you get through to her? Did she understand and agree with your point? I gather not, so perhaps you should consider the suggestion that you were right in what you said but wrong in your timing and presentation. Telling someone they are endangering their child/grandchild with their choices is a tough one at the best of times, it requires a lot of tact and diplomacy.

Wideyes

Visit site
Booboo, She wasn't stressed at all surprisingly. She was strolling up the road, not even running. The girls mother came to her daughters aid (Who was also not happy might I add) while the grandmother (the horses owner) took her horse from me and rugged it up while the girl was carried to the car. The grandmother showed little concern for her granddaughter. Maybe she wasn't worried because her mother was with her. But I would have been worried if it was my granddaughter.
Yes it did work. Yes I did get through to her and yes it did make a difference. She apologized the next day and agreed it was a silly thing to do. She wrongly thought her granddaughter could handle the horse. So you shouldn't make assumptions on what happen.
Tact and diplomacy? Haha! That will never happen when someone put's my child and others at risk my dear.

Last edited:

Wideyes

Visit site
Booboo, Also you amused I had shouted for some reason. Not sure why. Hmmm? We had a discussion. No voices where raised. That wouldn't have been a very nice thing for the injured girl or mother to over hear and would have probably made the child upset.

Last edited:

Booboos

Visit site
You really really need to read your own post.

You start by saying you want advice, what on? If you have resolved the problem by showing the woman the error of her ways what kind of advice do you want?

You describe yourself as shouting your daughter's name, loosing you rag and using words like 'bloody' and 'stupid'.

Visit site
I would also shout my daughters name if I feared she had had an accident, I would also lose my rag if it was down to someone elses
carelessness/negligence, and would use stronger words than bloody or stupid.

flirtygerty

Visit site
What kind of halter was it? A rope halter?

You are not wrong to be upset and you are correct that the highway code states you must wear a saddle and a bridle.

On the other hand, if a horse bolts, it bolts. A true bolt is a fear response and no amount of bitting will stop that. Would you have felt differently about the situation if the horse was wearing a bridle and bit? What about a bitless bridle?

I completely agree with you about the fact a child on a big horse on the road alone is a silly idea and it could have been much worse, but if the responsible adults are willing to allow this, there isn't much we, as outsiders, can do other than droping round a copy of the Highway code for their Perusal.

I hope she makes a full recovery and your daughter came back unharmed.

All I will say is know your horse, I have an ex racer, 17 2hh, so a tall horse and a 16 2hh WB mare built like a tank, both horses I would put a baby on, neither react to much, yet my 14 hh cob is likely to take off bucking as he goes, yet goes best in a bitless bridle, commonsense should prevail in this situation, know your horse and area

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
All I will say is know your horse, I have an ex racer, 17 2hh, so a tall horse and a 16 2hh WB mare built like a tank, both horses I would put a baby on, neither react to much, yet my 14 hh cob is likely to take off bucking as he goes, yet goes best in a bitless bridle, commonsense should prevail in this situation, know your horse and area

A rope halter like the horse in the op was wearing isn't a bitless bridle, it's completely ineffective from the horses back and therefore entirely inappropriate for riding on the road.

Wideyes

Visit site
lastchancer, My thoughts exactly. A friend of the owner told me the Parelli type halter she was using, is a bitless bridle. I would disagree.