Riding on your own

Natch

Visit site
I think you're all bonkers going riding on your own! :eek:

I always take my horse with me for some company. ;) Not fussed on human company though, especially if they aren't wanting to do the same as me.

BlizzardBudd

Visit site
I really enjoy schooling on my own as I ride better, but sadly as the yard is really big and it has to be a really awkward time :)
I have just started hacking on my own :D but I can't do the gates :eek: so we don't get to far :(

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I love riding on my own and actually prefer it. I do and will ride with other people, but do prefer going out on my own and doing my own thing.

Erzie

Visit site
I haven't really have any choice with Bellinda, so I have always rode her on my own for 14 years now. It's nt exactly true because during the second year, I had a friend to come with me, and last year, I use to ride sometimes with another friend.

I've never felt lonely that way, because I am with my horse of course. I like to hack with friends, but I prefer to be on my own. I think I'm not as linked with the horse when it's not just the two of us, and I would miss it if I had to be with people all the time.
And I prefer Bellinda on her own than with other horse. She doesn't behave badly, she is quite easy, but she focuses on the other horses and that's slow her down.

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Can't quote as on my phone but ref Marmalades hideous accusation - I would like to point out the only cue she needs to jump big fences she otherwise wouldn't is a double whiskey and a glass of port at a hunt meet :D

(I've only bullied her over one fence...!)

LynH

Visit site
I keep my horses at home and usually wait for someone to ride out with me on one of my horses or meet up with friends at the livery yard up the road. This has inspired me to get my butt in gear and just hack out alone. One of my horses is fab alone the other won't get past the gate but I'm working on her as until my arena is built I will need to hire one down the road.
I ride alone in my fields but do ring my OH or my neighbour if I ride the spooky one and say I'll ring back in 45 mins.
I bought some jumps the day before all this rain started so I'm guessing I'll only jump if someone is around.
Thanks for the positivity I'm going to start with a little walk round the block this afternoon.

scribble

Visit site
I love riding on my own esp after a long day at work. helps to put things into perspective. You will be fine. it is lonely you can talk to the horse and passersby if on a hack.

Pinkatc

Visit site
I ride on my own mostly as my horses are at home. Hubby occasionally hacks out with me if we can find someone to babysit for an hour or so!

sheilamiles

New User
Visit site
I have to say i prefer riding on my own. Just being able to spend time with me and my ned is fab! going at whatever speed you want and only have to worry about yourself (that sounds bad!) however I only do it as i know my mare is safe to do so. I wouldnt dream of doing it when my 2 year is broken in until i know it is safe to do so. I guess it all depends on who you want to ride with :)

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I always ride alone, my mare is a nutter and jogs the whole way if i go out with others, so its easier to go alone!

i much prefer it as I don't have to make plans with anyone else, I can just think oh ill go and ride now and off i go! and you can go as fast or slow as you like without worrying about anyone else! always as fast as i like in my case haha!

monkeybum13

Visit site
I hack a lot on my own. Its nice now and then to ride in company and have a gossip but generally I prefer it on my own, can go at whatever pace I fancy and don't have to worry about other horses being silly about things.

I tend to school a lot when nobody else is on the yard but don't jump in the arena on my own - need someone to lug the poles about ;)

Celestica

Visit site
After reading all of your comments it makes me realise, riding on my own may be a good thing! I don't think I'll be allowed to jump/hack on my own so I'll be staying safe! And our indoor arena is open view to the stables so I'll constantly be under supervision. The main struggle for me is adapting to me coming up with what to do rather than relying on someone standing in the centre to tell me!

Lintel

Visit site
When you are alone, you can go where you want at the pace you want, sing all you want, talk to your darling all you want and nobody takes the p*ss out of you :D

I love to ride on my own! I go on my own Mon-Thurs and my hacking buddy with coblet go out Fri-Sun together, and have insanely hilarious hacks, then I get back to my quite through the week.

I'd much rather school on my own. I am a loner in life ;)

Syrah

Visit site
After reading all of your comments it makes me realise, riding on my own may be a good thing! I don't think I'll be allowed to jump/hack on my own so I'll be staying safe! And our indoor arena is open view to the stables so I'll constantly be under supervision. The main struggle for me is adapting to me coming up with what to do rather than relying on someone standing in the centre to tell me!

101 Schooling Exercises :) Great book that will help you plan what to do depending on what you want to achieve.

Celestica

Visit site
101 Schooling Exercises :) Great book that will help you plan what to do depending on what you want to achieve.

Yes I've heard of this mysterious book on several occasions and keep intending on buying it! I'm putting off until after Summer Exams as I'd end up studying that then my school work!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I used to have group lessons when i didnt have Harvey but now i have him i have a private lesson once a week. I prefer private lessons now as it means I can work on what i want rather than having to "fit in" with others. Also I onaly have half hour lesson so it is nice to have it all focussed on me rather than having to "share" with anyone else.

I usually ride on my own as not many other liveries at he's kept at a riding school.Sometimes on Sundays there is someone i hack with but mostly I ride on my own. I do hack on my own but prefer company as he is a bit of a t*t on his own! Although hacking on my own does mean i can go at the speed i want etc.

Also hacking alone I rarely go to the fields as he is very spooky and they are isolated i only usually go down the lanes or to a more scenic track but there are usually people walking there.

Last edited:

LynH

Visit site
101 Dressage Exercises is available as an app as well as the book if you are looking for ideas in the school. The app is expensive but is very comprehensive and thoroughly explains each exercise so worth it.

HashRouge

Visit site
I like riding on my own much more than riding with other people. I get to choose where we go, what speed we go at and I don't have to worry about her royal highness kicking anyone. Plus I'm anti-social and I'd rather talk to my horse than to other people. I do like riding with my sister, in all fairness. But other than that I'd rather go on my own.

emma.is

Visit site
Schooling in an arena with other horses is my pet hate... Grrrrrrrrrr...

I only hack around the village my yard is in alone, there's a nice little loop about fifteen minutes long along the quiet backstreets. Perfect to chill out after a long schooling sesh:)

Wouldn't go any further than that alone yet, but I would love to:)

Moomin1

Visit site
I absolutely love hacking alone - could go for miles and miles like I used to on my old pony years ago. I find it so relaxing and I can think to myself in peace.

Unfortunately my girlie is not a steady ride when hacking alone - she is very spooky and tense and sometimes scares the living daylights out of me - so really not suitable for me to be going out alone.

:(

RainbowDash

Visit site
Hi,

I love riding alone - we can go where ever we like and at the pace we want to go - we can plod or if he needs fast work then off we go - no worries about anyone keeping up (the horses generally struggle to keep up with my little 14hh welsh lad). Also, if we've had a great ride I'll treat boyo to a good graze whilst I get off and just enjoy the scenery.

It's a great way of creating a one on one bond with your ned.

I do also like to go out in company - for a good chat and so boyo remembers his manners. :rolleyes:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
When I was a teenager and for years and years after that, due to working strange patterns I'd always ride on my own and was happy to do so, in fact preferred it, just loved being on my own with my horse in wild places and not a soul around - and in those days there wasn't such a thing as a mobile phone if you got into difficulties!

Nowadays, I hack out with a friend at weekends, and hack solo during weekdays, which is a happy medium.

I've got two horses, one (the boy) is mine and when I got him he just couldn't hack solo as had been in a trekking centre and was used to following the bum ahead - so with my trainer we worked on this and how he'll go solo perfectly happily; the mare is on loan to me and she'll also go solo or in company equally well.

I love riding in company; after not being able to ride with anyone for years (simply because I could ride when others couldn't, and vice versa), its really nice to have the company and also because you've got someone with you its easier in a funny sort of way to be a bit more adventurous and go a bit further, or a different route than you'd do solo.

But I still love solo hacking; there's nothing it IMO to really build a firm bond with your horse and get them listening to you without being distracted by the "herd" around them.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
101 Dressage Exercises is available as an app as well as the book if you are looking for ideas in the school. The app is expensive but is very comprehensive and thoroughly explains each exercise so worth it.

Love this book :D. It lives in the passenger door of my car :D. Always to hand if I'm in need.