Riding out on our own tonight

Parkranger

Visit site
Well, we've finally come to a day when theres no one to ride out with, so after putting it off for 4 weeks, I think tonight is the night!

He's pretty bombproof and prefers being in front so fingers crossed it will be ok. He was a little nappy when leaving his best mate, but we're overcoming that so hopefully will be ok.....
grin.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Exactly - if I get het up he will so positive thinking is going to have to blag for me tonight....it's working so far with him and our relationship is going from strength to strength. We need to really crack on with schooling but one step at a time.....I don't see any reason why he should be scared on his own but I'm taking my schooling whip just incase..... x

Benefice1

Visit site
When i first got my boy i put off going out on the roads on my own for ages, stuck to the fields or in company. Anyway one day i bit the bullet and decided i would take him out, i thought ill just go to the end of the road to start with to see how he was, well he was fine so i thought ill go a bit further, we ended up going for miles and have never looked back. Think you will probably be pleasantly surprised.
Good luck x

Parkranger

Visit site
It's weird as I never would have worried about this years ago - just got on with it! Think it's cause I'm in a bigger yard so you tend to ride out with other people all the time! x

katelarge

Visit site
Benefice is bang on - just set a small goal, after all you will have years together! So decide on a point you will ride to and come back, or a very short loop or something. Then just aim to extend that gradually if need be. After all, riding HAS to be fun so just stay in your comfort zone and let us know how it goes! xx

Parkranger

Visit site
Luckily we have a large common backing onto the yard so probably just go out there for an hour tonight - maybe start with a bit of school work although I think it's best to get on and out tonight......

Benefice1

Visit site
go for it, you will be fine, just one step at a time, dont aim for too much tonight and then what you do achieve will be fantastic and your confidence will grow and you will be able to do more next time and then more the next etc
smile.gif

Hornby

Visit site
I find it helps to have a plan if you meet something monstrous - hedge cutter, motorbikes or monster tractors - if my mare meets something that is beyond her (getting less frequent as she has more confidence in me) I jump off and hold her by the side of the road or lead past it if it is stationary (just don't turn round as it gives her the wrong message - she is quite happy to hide behind me!). This goes against all the "old lessons" I was taught about "battling on from the saddle" but this is a no stress way to get where we want to be and the good thing about having a plan B is you rarely have to use it....no plan B = caught out when they spot something before you! On modern roads you are right to be cautious; it is one of the most difficult things to do IMHO, have a nice hack.

Parkranger

Visit site
He is literally bomb proof - in company. I think I'm just going to treat it as any other hack, just without another horse for company.

Tractors, no bother. Sheep, no bother. Scary bags of grass clippings? well they are terribly scarey to look at!

I'm lucky in that he's more of a 'snorter' than a jump around horse.....

Parkranger

Visit site
I think it's potential napping I'm worried about - so schooling whip will have to come out. Hopefully not have to use it but hopefully just having it there will help!

sallyellis

Visit site
Good Luck Victress, I am sure he will be fine, I took my new boy out on his own on Saturday and he was great......Thanks for all of your support when I first got him and he was nappy - hopefully you will be repaid tonight and your lad will be a star!!!!

Parkranger

Visit site
OMG Sally that's great news - I was looking for your posts to see how you were getting on - I'm really pleased for you both!!!!

Well, we went out - and he was amazing!! We even cantered in the direction of home (naughty I know) and pulled him up with just my seat - hardly any rein needed at all! Got back to the yard to see one of the girls jumping about 2'3" - I asked her to put one down by half (I know sad) and he hopped straight over, so I took him over the 'larger' one and he flew over!! The other girl jumping said he looked like he's going to be a great jumper....needless to say, very happy and got a stupid grin on my face (and he's completely overcome his picking out feet dramas!)

Feel quite pleased with myself seeing as it was only the end of May when I got back on board after 15 years.

Sorry, I'll go now...........! x