riding out racehorses....

show_jumper

Visit site
Hi everyone...

I have a friend who wants to start riding out racehorses (preferably paid as she's a very good rider.....but not essential), as I think she's toying with the idea of getting into racing... Based near me in berks... Wondered if anyone had any suggestions??? Thanks

CVSHotShot

Visit site
Personally if shes into horses & wants to make a career of them, (but not racing isnt her fav area)...i wouldn't recommend it. I know a few very experienced riders & thought they would enjoy racing for a while, ended up hating it after the first month and found themselves being put off horses totally.

I have only ever riden racehorses off-track and i found them to be a completely different breed, ive riden many sharp, spooky, green horses but these are MUCH different to racehorses.

I think the adrenaline and fun only lasts so long before the reality kicks in and the falls and attitudes of both horses and trainners becomes too much. (Not to stereotype trainners, racehorses and the job!-But from what ive seen, the horses are just passed from pillar to post and dont even seem to enjoy the job.) even the experienced ones have told me Your confidence takes quite a battering too.

I know others would totally disagree but thats my own opinion, she might love it! Each to their own i suppose.
grin.gif
x

show_jumper

Visit site
im pretty sure she'll love it - shes had a few ex racers come through her yard - and has always had a thing for racing but never really focused on it - so i think she wants to give herself a chance before its too late..... thanks for the pointer though.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Well I absolutely loved it, but you have to be prepared to work very hard and get sworn at a lot, so it's not for those with huge egos or sensitive personalities! I haven't worked in racing for years, but now assess people for the industry, and I get a buzz every time I watch them on the gallops!
smile.gif
It's either in your blood or it isn't frankly. If your friend is a calm, competent rider, with an unflappable temperament, she'll do great.
grin.gif

CVSHotShot

Visit site
ISCHA-your little Friesian (i assume) Baby is BEAUTIFUL!! who is he/she by?

Such a pretty head! most friesians' heads take away from the rest of their body and usually isnt their best feature (to put it nicely!lol) You are very lucky...
grin.gif

What are your plans for him?...x

ischa

Visit site
hes out of doaitsen 420 a top ten friesian over in the netherlands his mum is out of another top friesian ulbert 390
hoping to back him and use him for dressage