mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

OK heres the deal... later this month Benjamin is bring her horse over for the day and we are going to go out to party with the boys Jaguar and Benjamin (hossie) and I was thinking of taking her to the Ashdown Forest... the forest is restricted to permit holders only.... which is fine... HOWEVER...

I just called the forest office and they do not issue day passes only yearly passes which cost £82 each!!!!

Soooooo I am a VERY disappointed KJJ as it is lovely riding over there (had a permit when I was younger) and really wanted to take Paula and the boys there for some fun and pretty scenery
frown.gif
Plus Beej on his bike too!!
grin.gif

I wish I knew someone who had the permits that could lend them to me for the day (strictly not allowed however if the wardens see the tag they don't bother asking reggy details)

The only option is to buy a Long Distance Permit which allows access to a ride that goes from the North to the South side of the forest but only on one track that costs £11.. but what a boring ride... a straight line!!
frown.gif

Hmmmmm ... NOT FAIR and how stupid is that!! Imagine the money they could make on day visitors.

Bless him OH just aked how much the passes were as he was gunna buy me one... I told him AT LEAST £3982 as he'd have to buy me a trailer too!!!
grin.gif

I guess I'll have to re-think the location now... Humpf...

Sorry Rant over
frown.gif

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
damn there goes my end of summer ride on the forest
mad.gif
gees i was looking forward to it
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I know!!
mad.gif
me too...
[ QUOTE ]
always thought u could get day passes obvisously not
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Well yeash same goes... clearly not ... a lady in the AF Office categorically told me I couldn't ride on there without a permit and all I could do was buy a yearly one OR buy the one that only allows me on one track
mad.gif
frown.gif

ajb

Visit site
tell me about it KJJ!!-I live 40-50 mins box drive from the forest and have bought a permit for the last 3 years along with another of my mates.The first year they did summer permits that were half price and ran from April-Sept but 2 years ago they got rid..we have had to make sure we do at least half a doz forest runs to make the permit value (working on £20 for the average pleasure ride) and for me its not too bad as I have mate at Chelwood Gate and box down to her (like I did with hoss yesterday) and hack out for few hours then have coffee after!!!
I did enquire for a mate who wanted to see what her horse would do and the lady in the office suggested the long distance permit-she actually suggested that we just get her one and then say we were "lost" if the ranger checked us!!!..I have been badge check 4 times this year however so I think they are clamping down on it...bloody annoying..not sure if will invest next year in one-they wont even let you pay by installments!!!...arghhhhhh-however riding is superb and if you know where to go there are jumps and smashing grassy gallops!!!
grin.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
tell me about it KJJ!!-I live 40-50 mins box drive from the forest and have bought a permit for the last 3 years along with another of my mates.

[/ QUOTE ]See this is the silly thing I am 20mins MAX away from the forest but just don't have the transport to get me there
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The first year they did summer permits that were half price and ran from April-Sept but 2 years ago they got rid..

[/ QUOTE ]I thought I was going cratzy as when I looked on the website I could have sworn lasttime I looked they did the 6monthy passes... for something like £36 .... yet this time they only showed the yearly ones... now I know why!! LOL!!
[ QUOTE ]
we have had to make sure we do at least half a doz forest runs to make the permit value (working on £20 for the average pleasure ride) and for me its not too bad as I have mate at Chelwood Gate and box down to her (like I did with hoss yesterday) and hack out for few hours then have coffee after!!!

[/ QUOTE ]Ohh sounds nice...
smile.gif
Hope you enjoyed yourself.
[ QUOTE ]
I did enquire for a mate who wanted to see what her horse would do and the lady in the office suggested the long distance permit-she actually suggested that we just get her one and then say we were "lost" if the ranger checked us!!!

[/ QUOTE ]I did consider that but the lady on the phone stated that you got a map with the pass and that if you were caught off 'route' then you'd be in BIG trouble
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
..I have been badge check 4 times this year however so I think they are clamping down on it...bloody annoying..not sure if will invest next year in one-they wont even let you pay by installments!!!...arghhhhhh

[/ QUOTE ]Again I think that is flippin ridiculous... do they actually want people to give them money to ride on the land???
[ QUOTE ]
however riding is superb and if you know where to go there are jumps and smashing grassy gallops!!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Yup.... I remember going over them on a sponsored ride I did there....

Grrrrr... fancy lending us your passes and we'll pay you for the pass for the day?! LOL!!! (
grin.gif
) Cheeky I know!!!
tongue.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
They used to have permits for riding in the Forestry Commission land here when I was a kid with a pony, but you had to have insurance to get one and this was back when you didn't bother with it! I got caught a few times, and said my dad worked away and I was getting him to sort it, they even knew me by name!

But then I got fed up and the next time they pulled me I said I refused to buy one as it was discrimination, mountain bikes could use it free, and walkers, why should we pay? And that until they stopped the motorbikes that were terrorising the place, I had no intention of paying.

Totally shut them up, they weren't expecting me to answer back!

Anyway, they don't do them now!!!
grin.gif

OWLIE185

Visit site
There may be some good news on the way as the BHS are in discussions with the government to make access free on the basis that walkers and cyclists are allowed to use it free and that this is unfair.

The BHS have challenged this unfair policy stating that horse riders bring in lots of money to the local economey and that the practice of charging them is not fare. Why should horse riders be discrimenated against?

The government is setting up a commision to investigate and with a bit of luck they will allow riders to have fee access to all Forestry Commion property.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The only option is to buy a Long Distance Permit which allows access to a ride that goes from the North to the South side of the forest but only on one track that costs £11.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you see a warden ride up to them, act relieved that you see them, and proclaim you were on this ride and you got lost, and see if they can help you!

alfirules

Visit site
its terrible. i wanted a permit to ride in woodland near me. the permits arent too expensive, about £30 i think. But they said they are only allowed to give them to a few people and all the permits are sold!!! its so annoying cos it would be lovely to ride there!!!!

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
Aww, thats a shame, Zakky lives near Ashdown forest now, you could have popped in for a visit!!!

Which begs the question... does his new mummy face these costs to hack him out....

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They used to have permits for riding in the Forestry Commission land here when I was a kid with a pony, but you had to have insurance to get one and this was back when you didn't bother with it! I got caught a few times, and said my dad worked away and I was getting him to sort it, they even knew me by name!

But then I got fed up and the next time they pulled me I said I refused to buy one as it was discrimination, mountain bikes could use it free, and walkers, why should we pay? And that until they stopped the motorbikes that were terrorising the place, I had no intention of paying.

Totally shut them up, they weren't expecting me to answer back!

Anyway, they don't do them now!!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]LOL!! Good for you!!

I know I'd get fined on the spot or something like that!! LOL!!

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There may be some good news on the way as the BHS are in discussions with the government to make access free on the basis that walkers and cyclists are allowed to use it free and that this is unfair.

The BHS have challenged this unfair policy stating that horse riders bring in lots of money to the local economey and that the practice of charging them is not fare. Why should horse riders be discrimenated against?

The government is setting up a commision to investigate and with a bit of luck they will allow riders to have fee access to all Forestry Commion property.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

[/ QUOTE ]WOOOO certainly gunna keep my fingers crossed!!

I may even risk it and play the 'discrimination' card then!!
smile.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you see a warden ride up to them, act relieved that you see them, and proclaim you were on this ride and you got lost, and see if they can help you!

[/ QUOTE ]LOL - ahh the face of innocence... reckon that'd work for me?!
a176.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
kjj
what about the downs? I am assuming you have transport for the day. Where we go is fantastic, great gallops/views etc
there is also a pub and usually an ice cream van as well
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

let me know and I can tell you where to park

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
its terrible. i wanted a permit to ride in woodland near me. the permits arent too expensive, about £30 i think. But they said they are only allowed to give them to a few people and all the permits are sold!!! its so annoying cos it would be lovely to ride there!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]That's ridiculous!!
mad.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aww, thats a shame, Zakky lives near Ashdown forest now, you could have popped in for a visit!!!

Which begs the question... does his new mummy face these costs to hack him out....

[/ QUOTE ]I think some people that live within a certain mileage of the forst get free access... (don't quote me on that tho!!!)

Rambo

Visit site
A lot of the Forestry Commission riding in the South-East is controlled by TROT I think
crazy.gif
They dish out the permits. You can always claim you were trying to follow a bridlepath and got lost though. I know the rangers on Ashdown Forest are more visible though, so wouldn't want to risk it on there
shocked.gif
It's a con though, why should we be discriminated against
mad.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
kjj
what about the downs? I am assuming you have transport for the day. Where we go is fantastic, great gallops/views etc
there is also a pub and usually an ice cream van as well
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

let me know and I can tell you where to park

[/ QUOTE ]You know what hun... I've just come back from lunch and was about to put out a plea asking if anyone knew where I could park for the downs!!!!

I know you can ride on there for free but just don't know about parking... oohh oohhh hunni you'd be a saviour if you can tell me!!
grin.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the Forestry Commission riding in the South-East is controlled by TROT I think
crazy.gif
They dish out the permits.

[/ QUOTE ]They certainly used to controll alot of the toll rides etc... however the forest is independent of them and regulates itself (so I believe)
[ QUOTE ]
You can always claim you were trying to follow a bridlepath and got lost though. I know the rangers on Ashdown Forest are more visible though, so wouldn't want to risk it on there
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I know... it is a tough one as they are very vigilant.. when I've been walking you often see the wardens!!!
[ QUOTE ]
It's a con though, why should we be discriminated against
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]EXACTLY!!!
mad.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
LOL
do you know where the dyke pub is?
x

[/ QUOTE ]PMSL!! That name always makes me laugh...

I'm not 100% sure but my dad will know (he knows everywhere!!)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We have to purchase riding permits to ride in a local water park. Additionally before you can purchase one you have to prove you have third party insurance cover of £5,000,000. Normal insurance gives cover up to £2,000,000. So you have to increase your insurance, at extra cost to you to get the pass. People with mountain bikes, who are a right pain, can use the park for free, no insurance, no control, no nothing. It's totally unfair on the rights of access to land by horse riders. I've complained to the council but they never bothered replying.

Weezy

Visit site
OMG that is outrageous - day passes would deffo create income!

I used to work at an SJ yard bordering Ashdown Forrest and I agree it is the most idyllic place to ride - I was always VERY amused with the "Beware Wallabies" signs!

teapot

Visit site
Man that's crubbish
frown.gif

I was going to suggest - why not the south downs way, unload at one point, then get picked up along the route?

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We have to purchase riding permits to ride in a local water park. Additionally before you can purchase one you have to prove you have third party insurance cover of £5,000,000. Normal insurance gives cover up to £2,000,000. So you have to increase your insurance, at extra cost to you to get the pass. People with mountain bikes, who are a right pain, can use the park for free, no insurance, no control, no nothing. It's totally unfair on the rights of access to land by horse riders. I've complained to the council but they never bothered replying.

[/ QUOTE ]It's mad that we are discrimated against!! grrr!!!

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OMG that is outrageous - day passes would deffo create income!

[/ QUOTE ]Wouldn't it just!! - TBH I was willing to pay up to £15 each horse for the day..... that would've been £30 for them!! Silly people!!
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I used to work at an SJ yard bordering Ashdown Forrest and I agree it is the most idyllic place to ride - I was always VERY amused with the "Beware Wallabies" signs!

[/ QUOTE ]It is lovely
smile.gif
... ahh well the South Downs are just as nice
smile.gif
.... and free!!
grin.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Man that's crubbish
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Crubbish indeed!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to suggest - why not the south downs way, unload at one point, then get picked up along the route?

[/ QUOTE ]Nice idea but not practical... we need to be able to ride back to the box... just don't want to have to turn round!! LOL!!

JessPickle

Visit site

[/ QUOTE ]It is lovely
smile.gif
... ahh well the South Downs are just as nice
smile.gif
.... and free!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

sure are, I am very fortunate to have a yard with road free access to the downs. There are circular routes around the south downs