Riding Permits - RIDICULOUS!!

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
sure are, I am very fortunate to have a yard with road free access to the downs. There are circular routes around the south downs

[/ QUOTE ]Ohh wow I didn't know you were a southern bug!! hehe!!!

You lucky thing - bet your hacks out are lovely
smile.gif

teapot

Visit site
I was going for c*** but changed my mind but the C stayed.

Ahhh that's pain regarding loading/unloading. I know of a place on the downs with a car park etc but it's probably too far for you as it's my way kinda

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was going for c*** but changed my mind but the C stayed.

[/ QUOTE ]LMAO - I thought you were gunna!! hehe... Crubbish is now my new word!!

Ahh that'd crrrrrubbish!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ahhh that's pain regarding loading/unloading. I know of a place on the downs with a car park etc but it's probably too far for you as it's my way kinda

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah is a bit far away - but thanks chick... would be looking for something more this side/end of the downs
smile.gif

teapot

Visit site
I've just had an idea - have a nosy on the OS website - you can view them online thus seeing where bridleways/car parks are

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've just had an idea - have a nosy on the OS website - you can view them online thus seeing where bridleways/car parks are

[/ QUOTE ]Ohhh good idea...

anyone have it??

I shall have a looky tonight
smile.gif

vic07

Visit site
i know quite a few places you can park in east sussex and go hacking. really nice and you can sometimes find hunt jumps! If you want any info can give directions!

Forestryman

New User
Visit site
Speaking as an, albeit low ranking (and part time whilst I train as a Forestry Engineer), Commission worker/warden...

(Most of the people who check permits are rangers or forest craftsmen anyway)

People seem to have a real chip on their shoulder about this, I'm a rider, but I don't. As far as I see it, horses cause more damage to paths than anything else that is (legally) on them. Moto-x cause damage, yes, and where possible we prosecute and have their bikes removed etc, but there is a limit to what we can do on that issue, we hate it at least as much as you do, believe me. I personally say that if you can afford to run a horse you can afford to have a permit, what's an extra 80 quid?

Madam_max

Visit site
All very well. But I had this problem in the Forest of Bere. The horse paths were unusable. As you say 'If you can afford a horse you can afford £80'. Same can be said for car tax but doesn't make it right!!!

Forestryman

New User
Visit site
Why were they unusable? I know there can be problems if we've taken forwarders or harvesters through as they chew up the paths royally, but that, I am afraid, is just part of the fact that Forests are working land as much as farm land.

And yes-Day permits are a bloody good idea, write to the commissioners about them.

Madam_max

Visit site
The only entrance in was completely boggy and always churned up, the last time I rode in there my horse tore her shoe off. IMO £80 is an awful lot of money for riding that was unusable for 60% on the year. I wouldn't ever bother renewing the permit.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i know quite a few places you can park in east sussex and go hacking. really nice and you can sometimes find hunt jumps! If you want any info can give directions!

[/ QUOTE ]Oh yes please... info would be fab!! We would be coming in from East Grinstead direction. xx

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking as an, albeit low ranking (and part time whilst I train as a Forestry Engineer), Commission worker/warden...

(Most of the people who check permits are rangers or forest craftsmen anyway)

People seem to have a real chip on their shoulder about this, I'm a rider, but I don't. As far as I see it, horses cause more damage to paths than anything else that is (legally) on them. Moto-x cause damage, yes, and where possible we prosecute and have their bikes removed etc, but there is a limit to what we can do on that issue, we hate it at least as much as you do, believe me. I personally say that if you can afford to run a horse you can afford to have a permit, what's an extra 80 quid?

[/ QUOTE ]Errrrr what?? An extra £80 is a heck of a lot of money when you won't use it very often because you don't have the transport to get there!!!!!

Surely by not offering a day pass the forestry commission are a) restricting people b) restricting their income c) penalising those who can't afford it d) are encouraging un-permitted riders to take a risk!?

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As far as I see it, horses cause more damage to paths than anything else that is (legally) on them. Moto-x cause damage, yes, and where possible we prosecute and have their bikes removed etc, but there is a limit to what we can do on that issue, we hate it at least as much as you do, believe me. I personally say that if you can afford to run a horse you can afford to have a permit, what's an extra 80 quid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well no, round here the horses don't cause the mess, mountain bikes do. They create tiny little channels that get worn away, then when you get heavy rain, its washes down the channels and erodes it even more. Then finally you end up with paths that horses can't use as they are too uneven and have these channels all ove the place.

Also - as horseriders at least the majority are insured for accidents - which mountain bikers aren't - and the speeds they come flying round corners and down hills - very quietly whereas you can hear a horse - makes them far more of a liability.

I think it is out and out discriminiation against the horse riders versus the bikers and I would simply refuse to pay.

Plus every forest I've ridden in - where there are motorbikes that shouldn't be there - they are totally useless at catching them or stopping them. They pick on the easy targets instead - the horse riders.

Forestryman

New User
Visit site
Well, I agree that the lack of day permits is an issue, but I don't make the rules, I only enforce them.

We do not pick on easy targets, it is difficult to catch illegal moto-x users, considering we are limited to 20mph in our trucks and would rather not get run over. We get their bikes crushed when we can, i.e. after we catch them at it twice in 12 months and report them to the police.

However, why don't you try to manage 668 thousand Hectares of forests with a small staff and keep all the illegal users out of them; yesterday I even found a dragons tooth actually sawn off to enable access to quads. Also, bear in mind FC rangers are not like rangers in most other countries, they do not have any police powers, which I think is a massive problem but never mind.

"Surely by not offering a day pass the forestry commission are a) restricting people b) restricting their income c) penalising those who can't afford it d) are encouraging un-permitted riders to take a risk!? "

a) Yes, probably.
b) Yes, again
c) Hmmm.... I still argue that 80 quid a year isn't a massive expenditure compared to the amount a horse costs. But I suppose if you aren't gonna use it regular
d) Again, probably.

With the current situation, i.e. dropping timber prices and that industry going down the toilet, the Commission is having to find income in other areas, i.e. recreation and leisure, whether you agree with a body set up to manage and preserve forests doing this is another matter, however that seems to be the way it is going. Bearing this in mind, the possibility of day permits/2 week permits or whatever would appear to make sense, so why not suggest it to the two trees? Or go to the local FO (Forest Officer) or Recreation Ranger and talk to 'em?

Madam_max

Visit site
No, I am not in that area anymore, that was my last ride in there and it didn't leave me too impressed, so I would never bother with a permit ever again.