Riding Schools in South East Oxfordshire

Ro5ie

Visit site
Does anyone have any recommendations for riding schools in South East Oxfordshire or thereabouts? I've recently moved to the area and looking to get involved and meet new people. I've been riding since I was a little'un (around 22 years) and comfortable with lateral movements, the odd flying change, and jumping around 3ft6". I'm looking to progress but also for a chance to meet people in a group lesson environment.

I've been checking out prices online, and if anyone can confirm the usual prices for lessons in the area that would be great. I'm looking for lessons on weekday evenings and occasional weekends. I'm looking for a place that focuses on quality of seat, balance, relationship with horse, the usual!

Thanks in advance :)

Kikke

Visit site
Checkendon equestrian centre, do tues, weds, thurs, evenings and all weekends (and all normal times day obviously). £45 pounds for 1 hour Private lesson. Great facilities. I keep my horses there on livery and very happy with, check out the website www.checkendonequestrian.co.uk . Good luck

ihatework

Visit site
The only riding school I can think of is Checkendon, you will need to try it to see if it suits your needs, they cover stage 2/3 but from what you have written you may be above the standard they really cater for. Other places to look at would be hall place and Wellington although these are in berks. The Turville valley stud does limited schoolmaster lessons in dressage.

Hunter93

Visit site
Hello! I live in oxfordshire and currently re learning to jump and hoping to book lessons. lots of people have recommended the above one to me and also Marsh Gibbon Bicester if that is any good to you? they do group lessons for £15 xx

Kikke

Visit site
The only riding school I can think of is Checkendon, you will need to try it to see if it suits your needs, they cover stage 2/3 but from what you have written you may be above the standard they really cater for. Other places to look at would be hall place and Wellington although these are in berks. The Turville valley stud does limited schoolmaster lessons in dressage.

Don't think they can't cater for your level and I speak from experience. But it does depend who is teaching. Turville stud don't take any people for schoolmaster lessons only lessons with you own horse (I'm also going there for lessons :) )

Ro5ie

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Great advice :) I will check out all mentioned. Prices seem more promising than I had first discovered; as one place I'd seen advertised was charging £55 for a 45 minute group lesson and I thought 'eeeeeck!'

Any tips on tack shops? And/or DIY/Part livery yards? In the long term I'm looking to find a share in the area or bring my horse, who lives with my parents, down to live. So starting out at a riding school keeps my hand in and let's me learn a little more about what's happening riding wise in the area.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

ihatework

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Great advice :) I will check out all mentioned. Prices seem more promising than I had first discovered; as one place I'd seen advertised was charging £55 for a 45 minute group lesson and I thought 'eeeeeck!'

Any tips on tack shops? And/or DIY/Part livery yards? In the long term I'm looking to find a share in the area or bring my horse, who lives with my parents, down to live. So starting out at a riding school keeps my hand in and let's me learn a little more about what's happening riding wise in the area.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

Tackshops in the area are Equestrian World (Peppard), Eileen Douglas (just outside Henley) and Jods Galore (central Henley).

When you start thinking about yards PM me, I can then tell you more depending on your budget and what you want. In fact, in about a year I might even be able to offer riding on a smart little horse depending on how a couple of things pan out!

Ro5ie

Visit site
Tackshops in the area are Equestrian World (Peppard), Eileen Douglas (just outside Henley) and Jods Galore (central Henley).

When you start thinking about yards PM me, I can then tell you more depending on your budget and what you want. In fact, in about a year I might even be able to offer riding on a smart little horse depending on how a couple of things pan out!

Thanks so much for this :) I will check out the tack shops (well, Christmas is on it's way and a splurge could be in order!) It could also be a place to advertise for a share :) I'm looking to meet horsey people (and horses) as much as to ride as I miss my boy and being at the yard so much during the week. I will pm you about yards soon :) Thanks again.

travelmad

Visit site
Where about are you? Guessing Henley ish? If you want tomtravel for a really cheap tack shop look up two times tack, huge discounts ... It's near Thame

Kikke

Visit site
I actually work in Wheatley, just east of Oxford. Always happy to travel for a bargain! Thanks for the head's up :)

In that case yes two time tack and Eileen Douglas. ( just a very pleasant shop the last one) And with tow times tack, what ever they don't have they will try to get in for you at great price. I'm very close to Wheatley and checkendon is easy to get to from there go at least once a day. They do grass/part/full livery and always owners there looking to loan there horses. the tack shops mentioned here are great.all different so just what you are after. Good luck

Abacus

Visit site
Have a look at this:

http://equinethos.com

It may not be advertised on their website but she used to give lessons on her own horse, which was working to quite a high level (medium I think). Worth giving her a call?