Riding Schools - insurance/registration question??

silverbullet

Visit site
Need to pick the expanse of knowledge on HHO.

Bit of background:

Someone I work with (non-horsey) has a friend who's daughter was bitten by a dog on the yard where she keeps her pony. The dog bit her quite badly (and has been PTS) but it has left a nasty scar which she could have surgery to repair but the NHS won't pay for it.

Work friend suggested that she try and claim off yard owners insurance (not sure she could - but that's besides the point) when she asked yard owner she was told that she had no liability insurance.

This came as a bit of a shock as she regularly has kids at the yard paying £20 for a "pony club" which is a half day stable management & a hack or schooling session on their pony or one of hers.

I have asked at the council and she is only known to them as a livery yard, not a riding school. I have looked up her name on the BHS website and can't find her registered as an instructor.

So questions,

1. Should she be on the BHS website if she is a qualified instructor?
2. If she is taking money for rides is this classed as a riding school, if so should she have insurance/regulation of some sort?

Thanks

Bethie

Visit site
QR:

1. The BHS maintain a register of instructors which includes people who have achieved various levels of qualification AND undergone a child protection course AND have to attend regular first aid courses. You could be qualified, to say AI, or whatever, and not be on the register (for instance riding school staff are rarely on the register).

2. Yes, if she is offering rides on ponies owned by her then it sounds like she will be considered to be a riding school and will need to be licensed (a quiet word to the Council may be in order).

Also, if your friend wants to seek financial redress for the revision surgery needed (ie sue them), the other person does not NEED to be insured to be ordered to pay up by the courts - if she has the funds to pay then she can be made to pay. I would suggest contacting a reputable no win no fee type solicitor for a consultation. If she is South Yorks/Lincs area as you say you are then I'd recommend contacting Irwin Mitchell's Sheffield office for advice.