Riding Schools/Mechanical Horses

Thelwell_Girl

Visit site
Sol -
Lunge lessons... Some instructors mighnt be able to lunge well, not mine! My instructor gave me a lunge lesson last week and I learnt tons! Even though pony was being a right madam, she made me laugh, made me work hard and helped me analyse the things in my position that I need to work on.

If only you could come and help out with one of our Pony Days! They are a mixture of ages, but anywhere from 5-ish to 11/12. If staying for the morning, they have an hour of grooming, an hours ride, then the whole day people stay on for the hours lecture, hours lunch, then hours groom and lessons again. Of course, lunchtime nearly always involves games in the sand school, which results in me being rolled around in the sand... fun for the little ones :rolleyes: However, because we have so many little ones on the pony weeks now theres advanced pony week in august for those who are capable of more or less doing everything themselves.
~
Also, for those who feel that RS horses and ponies are bored/switched off/abused, come have a look around our yard, watch some of our lessons, meet the horses and staff, and I think youll be pleasantly surprised :) In fact, I'll give you the tour myself!

Last edited:

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
As someone who runs a riding school I would like to state that we are definately not all the same. Whilst I agree that many riding schools are dreadfull places with very unfortunate, unhapppy ponies and staff that dont seem to care there are some around that are trying to improve their reputation. In my area I know of many places that should not be allowed a licence due to welfare and teaching standards and customer care. With regards to allowing people to progress too quickly before they have got the basics, this is something we definately dont allow. No rider comes off the lead rein until they can do a decent riding trot in balance with their horse and if the parents dont feel they are learning quick enough then they can have private lessons or go elsewhere! We have never put the customers over our horses as without them we would be nothing. All the horses are treated as my own and our customers are never allowed to haul them around with their reins. We are lucky enough to have a simulator ( £20,000 not £10,000 sadly!) and if we need to riders will go on there until they learn to respect the horses. All our children learn to canter on the simulator (unless they are tiny) but even our 4year olds love it and he stands 15.2hh and they dont seem to mind his size at all. Unfortunatley until the licencing and registration of riding schools improves shoddy places will be allowed to operate to the detriment of those of us who care about the industry and want to pass our love and knowledge on to others. Rant over!!!

I have to say that your set up sounds just the sort of place would be riders need to go to, sadly you are not the norm :confused:

Sol

Visit site
T_G - the point is, finding a riding school like that is like finding a needle in a haystack - pretty much impossible unless you're very lucky!

Best place I learned at was a dealers/SJing yard :eek: not ideal, but taught me a LOT! :D

Thelwell_Girl

Visit site
T_G - the point is, finding a riding school like that is like finding a needle in a haystack - pretty much impossible unless you're very lucky!

Best place I learned at was a dealers/SJing yard :eek: not ideal, but taught me a LOT! :D

Doesnt matter where you learn, long as you're safe, happy and taught well! x