Riding schools near Edinburgh

numptynovice

Visit site
We will be moving to Edinburgh in the summer and will be looking for a riding school for my daughter (11) and I. We’ll probably be living in the west of the city. Daughter is hacking out in all paces but not jumping yet and has been riding since she was little - she’s quite competent with a nice natural seat but not particularly brave. I’m a sensible novice who prefers flat work to jumping (although I’m doing a little very basic jumping now in lessons, popping the odd little cross pole) and enjoys a good blast out on the common as long as I’m on a kind, sensible horse. Currently I ride twice a week and daughter rides at weekends.

We’re not competitive and ride purely for pleasure - priorities would be friendly, fun environment, safe, kind horses, decent level of instruction with good hacking and social rides. Would be happy to travel a bit further for the right place, probably up to 45 mins.

Any suggestions most gratefully received.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Tbh Edinburgh is not well served with good riding schools. There aren’t any that I can hand on heart recommend although vfm hacking is available at Harelaw. The Scottish Equi Centre in Lanark is the best imho without going further west. They have quite nice hacking and some decent horses. Tannoch also has a good rep but I don’t know it personally. I have some experience of Turlood and of Tower Farm,Lasswade etc but from quite a long time ago now. I do t know if Houston Farm is still going, I didn’t have a great experience there but others rate it.

numptynovice

Visit site
Tbh Edinburgh is not well served with good riding schools. There aren’t any that I can hand on heart recommend although vfm hacking is available at Harelaw. The Scottish Equi Centre in Lanark is the best imho without going further west. They have quite nice hacking and some decent horses. Tannoch also has a good rep but I don’t know it personally. I have some experience of Turlood and of Tower Farm,Lasswade etc but from quite a long time ago now. I do t know if Houston Farm is still going, I didn’t have a great experience there but others rate it.

thank you -I’ll have a look at the ones you mention. how about East Lothian? I went out on a hack at Longniddry a few years back on holiday and enjoyed it but didn’t try out a lesson.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Pentland ponies …I know they trek but might do lessons…something at Haddington rings a bell…Tannoch is good..my daughter took her own pony for lessons and occasionally used a school horse for “moving up a gear”. There are places for lessons around Stirling…and Kincardine way..depends how far you want to drive really.

numptynovice

Visit site
I couldn’t remember, they used to be an RS but admittedly I moved away some years ago. Still, if you can get to ISEC you can’t do a lot better !

Ian Stark is close to my mother-in-laws (she actually was at school with him) and I reckon we could do lessons there maybe monthly or so which would probably do us the power of good! They have great hacking there as well, I went out on a hack there years and years ago. It’s just too far for weekly riding.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
If you are small enough, Edinburgh uni have a herd of Exmoor ponies that they do trekking with on the Pentlands-also good vfm hacking wise.
I used to ride those ponies when I was a student at Edinburgh! Great memories. (The ponies were quite feral though. It was a case of "here's a headcollar- if you can catch one you can ride it"!)

Charley657

Visit site
We will be moving to Edinburgh in the summer and will be looking for a riding school for my daughter (11) and I. We’ll probably be living in the west of the city. Daughter is hacking out in all paces but not jumping yet and has been riding since she was little - she’s quite competent with a nice natural seat but not particularly brave. I’m a sensible novice who prefers flat work to jumping (although I’m doing a little very basic jumping now in lessons, popping the odd little cross pole) and enjoys a good blast out on the common as long as I’m on a kind, sensible horse. Currently I ride twice a week and daughter rides at weekends.

We’re not competitive and ride purely for pleasure - priorities would be friendly, fun environment, safe, kind horses, decent level of instruction with good hacking and social rides. Would be happy to travel a bit further for the right place, probably up to 45 mins.

Any suggestions most gratefully received.

Tower farm riding stables has reasonably good hacking on the Braid Hills with lovely views of Edinburgh. They do lessons too but haven't had one of them from there for a while although I think they are still BHS registered. Houston Farm usually gets very positive reviews, I haven't been. There is another riding school at Lasswade, I would avoid that one.

Hope you enjoy living in Edinburgh :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I used to ride those ponies when I was a student at Edinburgh! Great memories. (The ponies were quite feral though. It was a case of "here's a headcollar- if you can catch one you can ride it"!)

I’ve not been for years and years but yes, there was a bit of that lol. Lovely hacking -shame Pentland Hills Icelandics don’t still do trekking as they were very fun to ride.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I’ve not been for years and years but yes, there was a bit of that lol. Lovely hacking -shame Pentland Hills Icelandics don’t still do trekking as they were very fun to ride.
I used to ride those Icelandics as well! Absolutely fantastic ponies. Gosh, this is making me very nostalgic for an awesome (selfish!) time in my life.

numptynovice

Visit site
Tower farm riding stables has reasonably good hacking on the Braid Hills with lovely views of Edinburgh. They do lessons too but haven't had one of them from there for a while although I think they are still BHS registered. Houston Farm usually gets very positive reviews, I haven't been. There is another riding school at Lasswade, I would avoid that one.

Thank you! I’m really looking forward to it. Closer to family and old friends and it’s a stunning city. Been wanting to move back to Scotland for years. Have pretty much got schools sorted out now, just need a house and a place to ride! Not enjoying the Edinburgh property market ?‍?

neddy man

Visit site

Tower house and Houston farm are on the BHS website so the standard will be good. ( www.bhs.org )

bonny

Visit site
Thank you! I’m really looking forward to it. Closer to family and old friends and it’s a stunning city. Been wanting to move back to Scotland for years. Have pretty much got schools sorted out now, just need a house and a place to ride! Not enjoying the Edinburgh property market ?‍?
Whereabouts are you looking at moving to ?