Riding Schools Offering Share Schemes

Jazz2304

Visit site
Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone knew of any riding schools that offer share schemes in Surrey / North Hampshire / Berkshire area?

Websites never seem to say, or it's just not very common.

If you know of any please let me know!

Thanks

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
When LGB in Chobham are not closed due to covid regs, I believe they still do this.
They are a council licensed riding school but not at any level to get BHS approval.
Look them up on Facebook.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Agree with Xmas furry. My current sharer actually started with a share there. I’m not sure what level and/or age you are but they aren’t great teachers but all the sharers (mainly teens) seem to make very good friends and support one another.

Jazz2304

Visit site
Yeah LGB is the only one I've already heard of, just that I get the vibe it's mostly teens and kids and I'm 28. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any others.

I've heard having a share at a riding school can be more beneficial for a first share over a private share - as there's usually someone around if you need help. But just seems hard to find around here.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To be honest, most of the riding schools in that area have closed over the past few years. (Langshot, Shey Copse, Cliff Hatch etc)
Apart from LGB in Chobham, there is Laris Farm, but they def dont do shares.
Further afield I can't think of any other RS that does this, sorry.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The share system has come more to light due to covid, as a way of generating income, avoiding covid and licensing law.

I would suggest anyone considering 'sharing' a riding school licensed pony, to take a good long look at the contract and insurance implications.

Jazz2304

Visit site
The share system has come more to light due to covid, as a way of generating income, avoiding covid and licensing law.

I would suggest anyone considering 'sharing' a riding school licensed pony, to take a good long look at the contract and insurance implications.

This would be for post covid of course

Jazz2304

Visit site
To be honest, most of the riding schools in that area have closed over the past few years. (Langshot, Shey Copse, Cliff Hatch etc)
No worries! Thanks for your help

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
i can barely think of any riding schools full stop, let alone those that do shares! There used to be so many to choose from in the chobham and surrounding areas. It was a proper horsey area!

OP you haven’t said how experienced you are but I would keep an eye out for a private share, it just might take you longer to find the right one and you may have to make compromises on the horse to find the right owner. If you are very very novice then I think LGB could be the way to go, but just be aware that there will again be a big learning curve if you later moved to a private share.

Jazz2304

Visit site
I've been riding at riding schools for years, now and I used to look after a family friend's horse in exchange for rides when I was 18 ish (mucking out, feeding, turning in / out etc) and I've helped out here and there, but I haven't done it consistently since then (28 now) and most private sharers want you to be experienced - of course.

I was told that sharing at a riding school is a good transition in this situation but if it doesn't really happen round here I'll have to just keep looking for the right private share (when it's allowed again!) :p

Jazz2304

Visit site
i can barely think of any riding schools full stop, let alone those that do shares! There used to be so many to choose from in the chobham and surrounding areas. It was a proper horsey area!

OP you haven’t said how experienced you are but I would keep an eye out for a private share, it just might take you longer to find the right one and you may have to make compromises on the horse to find the right owner. If you are very very novice then I think LGB could be the way to go, but just be aware that there will again be a big learning curve if you later moved to a private share.
I've been riding at riding schools for years, now and I used to look after a family friend's horse in exchange for rides when I was 18 ish (mucking out, feeding, turning in / out etc) and I've helped out here and there, but I haven't done it consistently since then (28 now) and most private sharers want you to be experienced - of course.

I was told that sharing at a riding school is a good transition in this situation but if it doesn't really happen round here I'll have to just keep looking for the right private share (when it's allowed again!)

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
There’s no harm in replying to ads and being very up front about your experience. Maybe have some good videos of your riding that you can send them.

I put no novices and no children on my ad and ended up with a girl straight out of riding school who was about 13. They shared for about 6 months but It didn’t work out in the end but that was because she and her parents were unwilling to learn and wanted to jump big and look impressive, not because she was novice.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

I was told that sharing at a riding school is a good transition in this situation but if it doesn't really happen round here I'll have to just keep looking for the right private share (when it's allowed again!)

In between horse owning in my 20’s I rode at a riding school and that’s where I found private shares with livery clients rather than school horses. Many RS are a mix and that might be an option. You’d still have the support of the school around you and is a good step.

Jazz2304

Visit site
There’s no harm in replying to ads and being very up front about your experience. Maybe have some good videos of your riding that you can send them.

I put no novices and no children on my ad and ended up with a girl straight out of riding school who was about 13. They shared for about 6 months but It didn’t work out in the end but that was because she and her parents were unwilling to learn and wanted to jump big and look impressive, not because she was novice.
That's very true, ah thats interesting to hear! Yeah, I would only ever want to be honest - don't want to waste anyone's time or pretend I'm something I'm not ? just silly. Sorry to hear it didn't work out - hope you've found someone more understanding!

Jazz2304

Visit site
In between horse owning in my 20’s I rode at a riding school and that’s where I found private shares with livery clients rather than school horses. Many RS are a mix and that might be an option. You’d still have the support of the school around you and is a good step.
Yeah that's true - I actually hadn't considered that! Thank you!

Surbie

Visit site
I think Kingston Riding Centre now do shares. They've moved over to Chessington to run a mixed livery yard plus school & have a new big indoor arena & have refurbed the 50x30 outdoor.

Eta: Wyvenhoe might do it too - that one is in Bookham.

Chianti

Visit site
Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone knew of any riding schools that offer share schemes in Surrey / North Hampshire / Berkshire area?

Websites never seem to say, or it's just not very common.

If you know of any please let me know!

Thanks

I think Littlefield Manor Riding School do this. It's in Worplesdon near Guildford.