Riding/showjumping with prolapse

mja1988

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have recently had a baby and subsequently been diagnosed with a stage 2 prolapse. I am pretty devastated about what this might mean for my riding and showjumping. I am no pro, but would like to be able to get back to jumping 1m or so. Everything I am reading seems pretty bleak about any high impact sport. I am waiting to see a women's health physio who does seem very knowledgable about sports and prolapse in general, but she doesn't know much about riding.

I'm sure there are many women out there who also have a prolapse (since being diagnosed I have discovered that it is extremely common) and are managing in some shape or form, but it seems to be something that no-one really discusses? I have found just 1 older thread about it.

So basically, this is a plea for any women out there in similar circumstances to give me some hope? How are you managing? Have you had to cut back? I'm praying for some positive stories.

Yours desperately.....

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have recently had a baby and subsequently been diagnosed with a stage 2 prolapse. I am pretty devastated about what this might mean for my riding and showjumping. I am no pro, but would like to be able to get back to jumping 1m or so. Everything I am reading seems pretty bleak about any high impact sport. I am waiting to see a women's health physio who does seem very knowledgable about sports and prolapse in general, but she doesn't know much about riding.

I'm sure there are many women out there who also have a prolapse (since being diagnosed I have discovered that it is extremely common) and are managing in some shape or form, but it seems to be something that no-one really discusses? I have found just 1 older thread about it.

So basically, this is a plea for any women out there in similar circumstances to give me some hope? How are you managing? Have you had to cut back? I'm praying for some positive stories.

Yours desperately.....
No personal experience, but I do know someone who had surgery for this and then continued to be a pro rider.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Yep, had two fixed one front, one back, and went back to riding after twelve months recovery. I was an older mum and my gynaecologist warned me that it would always be a weak area. I was a happy hacker though, definitely no jumping. Take advice, and be sensible.

mja1988

New User
Visit site
No personal experience, but I do know someone who had surgery for this and then continued to be a pro rider.
Thanks, Red. I am not a candidate for surgery as I want to have another baby and its not bad enough at this stage, though I suppose it may become worse in future. Can I ask, did your friend continue to ride and compete prior to her surgery or did she stop in the interim period?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks, Red. I am not a candidate for surgery as I want to have another baby and its not bad enough at this stage, though I suppose it may become worse in future. Can I ask, did your friend continue to ride and compete prior to her surgery or did she stop in the interim period?
I believe she did continue to ride initially, but it was very painful. I think she had the surgery done privately.