Riding Skirt!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Just googled and they are lovely! But I’m baffled as to why- what makes them superior to jodhs? I’m very willing to be talked into one!

Can't speak for those who are using them for horse riding, but the thermal riding skirt (from Hööks/hookseurope) that I use on top of my usual trousers when I'm out bicycling during the colder parts of the year, makes a huge difference regarding keeping my thighs, and knees warm, and comfortable.

FitzyFitz

Visit site
Just googled and they are lovely! But I’m baffled as to why- what makes them superior to jodhs? I’m very willing to be talked into one!
you wear them over your jodhs, they add an extra windproof and usually waterproof layer, and have a bit of a mitten effect keeping you toasty. I've been toying with getting or making one for ages

Jambarissa

Visit site
I'm planning on buying one soon. I only really hack and my thighs get freezing so hoping it'll help with that. And I use a sheepskin numnah so should keep that dry too.

I am undecided about colour though. Should I get fluro which would be sensible and practical? I know the answer is yes but I'd really like a nice classy colour, which is stupid because the rest of the horse is yellow and orange and flashing anyway.

I really crave a nice flowing tweed number.....

2ndtimearound

Visit site
I’ve opted for the non fleece one as I think it will still be so much warmer by virtue of being two layers.
Yep, I can attest to the fleece ones being very warm. These days, I can only wear mine without overheating if it’s well under ten degrees. I wore it much more the first year I had it as my internal thermostat was still working then and I felt the cold much more.

Squeak

Visit site
I have one of the DoPo ones and couldn't recommend more. They keep you really warm and dry. I have a fleece lined one as I always find I feel the cold on long walk hacks. I also find they give you a lot more freedom and movement than a long coat would.

They're also great for protecting the saddle and stopping it from getting wet too.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
How are they for the horse, are they flappy and spooky?
And what's it like getting on and off in one?

I suppose that it maybe could depend on what type/brand of riding skirt you use. But the ones I've seen that are intended to protect both against rain, and cold temperatures, looks to me to be as "unflappy" as the one I use when bicycling (in case it wasn't clear in my first reply, mine is a horse riding skirt that I simply instead use for bicycling).
Thanks to the inside leg straps, and how the skirt is cut, mine has never flapped much regardless of wind conditions, and I can't think of anything you would be able to do out riding a horse that would make my riding skirt more flappy. Except pulling your legs out of the inside leg straps, letting go of the reins to grab the skirt, and start flapping it by hand.

Mine really feels as if it's genuinely designed to be functional, and easy to use for horse riding. Though it's not exactly the same to get on and off a bicycle, as a horse, I'm a clumsy person, and yet I don't really need to think about that I'm wearing my riding skirt when I get on or off my bicycle.

Spooky or not, unless a horse is either blind, or e.g. already used to riders sometimes riding in a long raincoat, I assume he/she will notice that your legs suddenly don't look the way they usually does when you're intending to ride them, but how they react to that knowledge is individual. I wouldn't be surprised if someone replied saying their horse spooked at them riding in a riding skirt, but that's horses isn't it.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
How are they for the horse, are they flappy and spooky?
And what's it like getting on and off in one?
^^^ Yep tis the getting off thing that really bothers me! It's a bit of an "older rider" thing; like the whole process is undignified as it is without the addition of something like a parachute billowing around you as well. Oh my gosh!

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
What about rising trot? Does it catch on the saddle?

I'm guessing there's lots more protruding things on my bike that the riding skirt potentially could've gotten caught on, than there is on your saddle, and though my clumsiness, I've yet not managed to catch it on anything on my bike. They are designed to be ridden in, I can't see how my skirt would hinder a rider from doing rising trot.

^^^ Yep tis the getting off thing that really bothers me! It's a bit of an "older rider" thing; like the whole process is undignified as it is without the addition of something like a parachute billowing around you as well. Oh my gosh!

The inside leg straps keeps the skirt flaps attached to your legs. Unless you flap around enough with your legs to make it create a billowing parachute, there shouldn't be any billowing parachute.

2ndtimearound

Visit site
I don‘t have any issues mounting, dismounting or doing rising trot, but I am slightly conscious of where the skirt is when I’m getting on and off. But with dismounting, I can see it would depend on your style. If you swing your leg back over the horse’s bum, it should be fine, but if you were to swing your leg over their neck as an alternative, that may be more difficult.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
To be fair I don't ride in mine but it's a puffa one (Uhip) and has some structure so it's nowt like that 🙂, and not super long.

And of you keep them clean they're great for sitting at your desk at home and saving heating bills, much easier when getting up and down than wrapping a blanket round you. Just don't do what I did and get slippery nylon...

little_critter

Visit site
My yo has several of the longer riding skirts. I’ve never noticed her ballooning around the yard, I think the fabric had enough weight to it so it doesn’t flap around and get caught on stuff.
I have a short padded one like sbloom describes. It has zips front and back, so when riding it’s just like having a flap of warm fabric over each thigh. Works wonders to prevent thigh chillblanes.
I prefer it to a long warm coat because I usually have a warm top half and cold thighs, so I want the padding on the bottom half only otherwise I’d be overheating on top.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
My yo has several of the longer riding skirts. I’ve never noticed her ballooning around the yard, I think the fabric had enough weight to it so it doesn’t flap around and get caught on stuff.
I have a short padded one like sbloom describes. It has zips front and back, so when riding it’s just like having a flap of warm fabric over each thigh. Works wonders to prevent thigh chillblanes.
I prefer it to a long warm coat because I usually have a warm top half and cold thighs, so I want the padding on the bottom half only otherwise I’d be overheating on top.

I think they're warmer than long coats too as they're closer to the body over the legs and actually stop drafts at the waist completely of course. I also like the versatility of being able to change layers on top.