Riding socks

Yardbird

Visit site
Please can someone explain riding socks to me. I saw some in Aldi and they looked nice,butI cant get my head round special
socks for riding.Have always just worn any socks I thought would keep my feet warm enough. Do they protect against stirrup burn, if so how do they compare with half chaps. Hope to be enlightened. Thanks.

Sparemare

Visit site
I wear them in the Ariat boots that I bought in the wrong size, but don’t want to admit don’t fit me. Other than that just regular socks for me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
they are mostly just long socks, I bought some from aldi as they are cheap.
I have some lemieux ones that have extra padding on the ankle which I will definitely find helpful when wearing spurs with my softer long boots as sometimes I always manage to get one rubbing slightly.

I don't understand the trend for riding in just socks and short boots though!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Do they actually work? I'm a big fan of the elasticated chap/gaiter myself as I bet my calves are bigger than yours! :D. But I find my mesh chaps feel a bit lacking/non supportive (I feel we may be heading back to my bendy issues there though!)

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I often ride in normal socks. I wear riding socks when it’s cold as they come up to my knees rather than ankles. Can’t see any benefit except their warm and it means I have clean socks for riding ;).

mandyroberts

Visit site
My sock challenge is small feet. The normal 4-7 are too big (my feet are 3-4 depending on shoe) so 'special socks' more often come in 3-5 which fits well. Cheap children's socks fit but are cold and fall to pieces.
Musto socks feel great but don't last and 'The Sock Company' did riding socks for children which were great but they don't seem to be doing them any more. Any suggestions?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
they have a thick padded foot, and lycra/stretchy/thin leg so as not to bulk up under boots

I have some nice thermal noble outfitters one like this for winter and some equitheme ones for less cold days which are good under my smart boots which are very fitted.

Then I have ones like the Aldi ones that are thick all the way up but have a little more padding on the foot.

Also recommend soxtrotuk which are thin all the way but surprisingly warm and tough Actually came across these at glastonbury 16 being remarketed as festival socks and they were great under wellies for the weekend but intended for the riding market and get used for that.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont wear the fancy support type ones, at home I wear normal short socks but for events I do prefer long socks purely because I pull them up over my breeches (which are generally a bit short in the leg so normal length socks would leave a gap) and means I can do my zip on my long boots easily up over them too. But I just buy packs of long socks off Ebay - they're not riding socks as such, add a name onto them and suddenly they're pricey ;)

eventer and proud

Visit site
I have some nice thermal noble outfitters one like this for winter and some equitheme ones for less cold days which are good under my smart boots which are very fitted.

Then I have ones like the Aldi ones that are thick all the way up but have a little more padding on the foot.

Also recommend soxtrotuk which are thin all the way but surprisingly warm and tough Actually came across these at glastonbury 16 being remarketed as festival socks and they were great under wellies for the weekend but intended for the riding market and get used for that.

I have the nobel ones which are great!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I struggle to zip up long riding boots over normal socks (maybe I have fat ankles?) But I have shires riding socks that have lovely warm feet bits but at thin lycra tight like material on the leg and voila the boots zip up easily. Love them.

Bernster

Visit site
i like them as they are warm but not too thick, and have padding in the right places. When I've tried other normal or outdoor/thermal socks, they are either too thin, too thick, too fine, and don't stay up as well, also often the wrong size (height) for jodhpur boots. Hah I sound like goldilocks.