Riding test compared to Dressage?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I've entered my riding clubs riding test on Friday and had a ride through of the test, is there anything I need to be aware of or do I just do it like a normal dressage test? I've never done one of these before.
Any rules regarding spurs/whips?

khalswitz

Visit site
AFAIK It's like dressage, except judged on your riding instead of the way the horse goes... although, like dressage, there will be marks for going the way there is for position and effectiveness. It's basically the dressage equivalent of equitation jumping.

A friend of mine did very well in one despite her horse looking awful as she sat the bucks/rearing and rode it through until ti went quite sweetly at the end. Very forgiving of non-fancy movers/green horses etc.

Last year, our RC areas just did it like dressage - its under BRC dressage rules.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Yup, as said above, riding test you ride like a dressage test but they are scoring YOU and how effective you are as a rider. Your horses natural way of going isn't really counted - but obviously if your riding is affecting your horse negatively (ie kicking with the handbrake on) would certainly be marked accordingly.

I rode my first one and qualified for BRC championships - and then got a 3rd while there. My horse isn't a natural dressage horse - so this was a great thing for us.

taimargilbert20

Visit site
I just did a riding club test and they have a rule on the length of your schooling whip and spurs (not sure what that is though sorry) they also check your had against regulations on the day and tag it so make sure your hat is with the new guidelines etc. And liek the others have said :) I would recommend getting a copy of the riding clubs hand book to read over before hand I'm sure that'll be able to answer all your questions x

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I can't decide whether I like the idea of it all being about me or whether I will get some nasty home truths. May work to my advantage if he starts rearing at the judges box like last time at that venue.