Riding while pregnant - how long & why did you stop?

Sandylou

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I know this can be a touchy subject but I'm not asking whether people should or shouldn't ride while pregnant but rather who did, how long for and why did you stop?

I'm currently 20weeks pregnant with 2nd baby and finding that I'm getting stitch in my stomach muscles and round ligament pain if I do more than 40 mins ish of walking and occasional short trots so feel that I really need to stop. However I am fining the thought of stopping riding completely very difficult to deal with - but obviously I am going to stop soon.

Thanks

Stockers

Visit site
I rode up until just gone five months and only stopped as I struggled to get off - my bump was quite high and all infront. I didn't experience any discomfort when riding. I suspect I'd ahve continued had it not been for the getting off issue.

I felt quite safe even though horse is abit quirky - he seemed to know that I was abit 'different'.

You know in your heart when it is time to stop. I do have friends who rode up literally until the birth.

ETA: - Many congratulations.

Moomin1

Visit site
I stopped riding at just over 3 mths pregnant after I nearly fell off my gigantic mare. I was finding myself getting increasingly nervous and defensive in my riding and it was rubbing off on my horse. It was tough not being able to ride but the safety of my baby was paramount. I would do the same next time too.

Shay

Visit site
If you are starting to experience pain then you probably do need to stop. I had to stop very early on as I developed symphasis pubis dysfunction where the ligaments that would normally old the front of the pelvis together have been damaged (probably in a fall as a child) and by about 16 weeks or so the pain was just too much. I would have loved to carry on; but I kept up my horses, lunged, longlined and worked in hand etc until I got too big to manouver safely.

Your body is your best guide really.

Damnation

Visit site
I have never been pregnant, however this has been asked a few times and the common theme is people seem to continue to ride until they feel they can't.

Its whatever you are comfortable with, some people stop right away as they don't like the risk of coming off or their horse isn't quiet enough etc. Other women go until they drop quite happily! I knew a lady who rode until about 7-8 months and stopped purely because the bump was getting too big to be able to get on and off comfortably!

I don't think there is a right or wrong!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I didn't have a horse when I was pregnant however I did have a really physical job and I didn't slow down as much as I should have. This meant about 2 years recovery from pelvic issues so my advice would be not to do anything which causes you pain.

aran

community.webshots.com
I stopped at around 24w (currently 37w).
My bump is all in front and I was getting round ligament pain. My core muscles wound spasm as well (at this stage I was only walking out on hacks - but my horse is very springy!). I also constantly needed a wee!! I think you just know when it's time for you to stop. It's frustrating not riding (especially when your horse is also expanding trying to match your bump) but it isn't for too long.

PorkChop

Visit site
I stopped quite early on and put my mares in foal :)

I only stopped because I was absolutely enormous, if you feel safe and comfortable then keep going. I know a lady who hunted right up until the birth!

pennyturner

Visit site
I had 6 pregnancies in 10 years, so if I'd stopped riding, I wouldn't have had a life.

I stopped when the contractions became too frequent :D

Starbucks

Visit site
I didn't ride much with my first pregnancy. It was winter and I had my old horse. I didn't want to hunt so couldn't really be bothered.

I'm Preggo again now and got a 4yo so really need to keep riding her. I'll prob go until about 4 months and then turn her away for the winter. x

stilltrying

Visit site
I stopped riding the big boy earlier, around 16/17 weeks after an epic spook. I wasn't unseated, but I hurt my expanding core muscles so called it a day. He is a 17hh m/w and I rely on core strength to keep me in the plate! I carried on riding my 5yo up until she was sold, when i was 23 weeks. She was a lot smaller and as i could wrap my legs around her a bit more i felt a lot safer on here than the big ginger one. I did start to feel it at a jump clinic at around 21 weeks as the baby was sitting quite low, so at that point she went up for sale. It had always been my intention to sell her but had my circumstances been different I would have carried on riding her longer, just eased off the jumping / faster work.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I had intended to keep riding much longer than I did, as I had a very safe horse who I'd owned for years. Unfortunately I also had trouble with my hip ligaments which meant I had to stop at around 4 months. I took him to an in-hand show at 7 months and really regretted it after the trot-up, felt fine at the time but the next morning, ow!

Lacuna

Visit site
Rode up til nearly 6 mths preggers on my friend's very safe cob mare who looked after me like a star. Only stopped when bump was getting in the way while hopping on and off.

pennyturner

Visit site
Rode up til nearly 6 mths preggers on my friend's very safe cob mare who looked after me like a star. Only stopped when bump was getting in the way while hopping on and off.

From experience, you can deal with this problem 2 ways. A quiet horse won't mind you slinging your leg over the front and sliding down on your bum, but this isn't very safe. Better is to pub a bit of 'oompf' into your dismount, so that you vault clear of the horse - think Frankie Dettori!

Disclaimer: I was riding a 14hh pony... it might be a bit ambitious on your average warmblood.

Wizzkid

Visit site
33 weeks with the first one bit sooner with my second one.
I do remember it hurting a bit at 16ish weeks with both but then it settled down again.
Congrats and as others have said just do what you feel happy with.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I stopped at about 6 months.
I stopped because there was a nasty accident, I lent my horse to someone who then let someone ride her own quiet horse and they both bolted. The "quieter" horse came down on the road and the rider was airlifted to hospital with a brain injury. It just really hit home and i decided time off wouldn't kill the horse!

Zero00000

Visit site
I rode all the way through with my first,
Barely had a bump, I didn't ride my horse, she was a little too erm 'fun' but I did ride a few ponies,
I stopped riding about 4 months in with my second due to spd I could barely walk let alone mount, ride and dismount a horse, but I haven't been on a horse since 😢

pippixox

Visit site
rode my mare during the first month of knowing I was pregnant, but started to feel nervous (she is good 80% of the time but can go upwards and backwards when spooking or having a stubborn mare moment, and this was in the back of my mind. I felt my balance was a bit off and strength due to the joys of pregnancy side effects, so I was less capable) so stopped riding her at 2 months. got 2 new forests who were backed last spring/summer but had winter off so simply haven't restarted them, as just way too green and unpredictable. but have been riding my 18 yo ex-race horse. a few weeks ago even rode and led my friends 3 yo on her pony off him as he is so good. however, I am not riding him as much as planned as found with long work hours in a physical job I am exhausted. I feel perfectly comfortable and safe while on board, but can be a bit achy the next day even after walking now (I'm 6 months) at 3 months I was still cantering across a common on him!

like you said, it is a controversial topic. My OH understands I want to keep pottering on my old boy (who is the only horse he has ever sat on, for the first time aged 29, while he also had his hand in a cast!) but would not be happy if i rode the others and I fully agree. you cant get rid of all risk- but you can minimize it.

you just have to listen to your body and head and go with what feels right

Sandylou

Visit site
It's good to hear others experiences.
I haven't ridden this week so I'm going to go for a plod tonight and see how we get on.
I'll be happy if I can just plod out once a week but if it's not going to be possible I'll just have to keep reminding myself that it's only a short break, I'm not having any more children and so I can ride for the rest of my life after this 'holiday'.

minkymoo

Visit site
I rode until I was 7 1/2 months with my first child with no problems until I was simply too large to get on and off comfortably.

With my 2nd however, I barely made it to 20 weeks. I was so uncomfortable that I simply couldn't continue. I'm on the understanding that with no 2, your ligaments and womb are already pre-stretched and this can make riding difficult.

You won't be doing yourself any favours by carrying on I don't think. I was gutted to have to stop, especially given that in April my darling horse was pts and I was so upset that I only got to ride him once this year.

It isn't much longer, I'm 38 + 5 and I'm counting down the days until I can start with my new mare. Don't forget, you'll have a gorgeous little baby as well! :)

hergestridge

New User
Visit site
Hi it is so difficult to decide what to do I’m just over 4 months pregnant and have decided to stop riding, I was hoping to continue to 5/6 months but my horse is not bombproof or a steady plod and after a random fall on the road I decided to call it a day. I struggled through morning sickness and kept riding but once the spring grass hit and made him more excitable I started feeling nervous which didn’t help either of us! Seeing my baby on the scan didn’t help either!

I agonised over when to stop riding as I didn’t want to put my horse out of work but for now I am resigned to ground work and hoping a good friend will ride him a bit over the summer. If not he can have a holiday and it really is not long at all before I will hopefully be back in the saddle! :)