Riding whilst on blood thinners, a cautionary tale

oldie48

Visit site
Following a completely uncharacteristic series of bucks from Mr D, I've have had a fall resulting in several broken ribs, pneumothorax and the most enormous haematoma down my left side. Ambulanced in to local hospital, 4 days in HDU followed by 9 days on a ward. Thankfully I am home now and very grateful to be alive. I knew being on blood thinners meant I should avoid falls but tbh I didn't realise how potentially dangerous it was which is why I am sharing my experience. I lost over 3 pints of blood very quickly into this massive haematoma and my blood pressure went through the floor despite being pumped with various fluids. I feel rather lucky still to be here as I was very poorly. I'm OK now but it's been quite a rocky road to recovery and I benefitted from being relatively fit for a 75 year old. I'm hanging up my riding boots, not because I'm afraid to get back on but because if I had hit my head or the ambulance had been delayed the outcome would have probably been dire. We all make decisions about the risks we take but I know there are older riders on here who might be on blood thinners or who might need them in the future so I wanted to share my experience. Interestingly, when I told my family I'd decided to stop riding they heaved a collective sigh of relief but said they would never have asked me to stop, that they knew it had to be my decision. They have all been wonderful and friends have been too, certainly makes me appreciate what I have in life. From now on I shall continue to enjoy everything "horsey" but from the floor.

SEL

Visit site
Oldie - relieved you are OK now but sorry you've had to hang up your riding boots because I know from your posts how much you loved riding Mr D.

I came off last week and hit my head. It was just a spook and normally I would have sat it, but I have a feeling the saddle slipped a bit and gravity took over. I was on my own and not visible from the road so fortunate that it was just a knock and nothing more serious. Fortunately none of my medication causes bleeding problems but I totally get where you are coming from.

pistolpete

Visit site
Really glad you’ve survived to tell the tale and thank you for sharing. Our hobby/lifestyle is usually fairly well risk assessed but inevitably there are risks. I hope Mr D continues to bring you joy non ridden. Horses don’t care as long as they have a nice life with freedom friends and forage. They don’t need to be ridden.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Oh my. So glad you are getting better. I know what you mean. I am not on blood thinners, but I have a splenetic aneurysm,, it’s been sorted with a stent, but I have a bracelet saying if any injury to spleen I can bleed out in an hour. So i hung up my boots, several years ago. As I feared a fall . I took up dogs instead, sold 4 horses. Got 4 spaniels. But funny enough. Ive had 4 small falls while walking dogs in last 6 years, fell over tree roots, down muddy slope, while climbing over a style 😂😂😂 think I am just accident prone. Need wrapping in bubble wrap

setterlover

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your accident but glad you are recovering.
After a series of accidents to friends last year ,one friend ( in her sixties)is now paraplegic and in a wheel chair for life after her 26 year old horse spooked and fell on her and my sister ( in her seventies)was killed when her horse bucked her off .
I too have decided to hang up my riding boots I too am in my seventies I had a tumble a year or so ago and cracked my ribs and hurt my back and it took an age to be pain free. I have now decided my life is too good to take the risk of serious injury or worse (you really don't bounce well as you age .)
We love hiking our dogs touring the UK with our caravan and dogs and getting abroad 3 or 4 times a year and would hate to loose this so I work from the ground and enjoy just having the horses around though these will be the last and when they go I will step away from horses.

Last edited:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Sorry to hear this but the joy of horses is even if not riding there are lots of ways to still be involved if you want to still keep an involvement. Maybe carriage driving….!!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Wow..cautionary tale indeed. I’m so glad you are recovering oldie..it must ve been a hell of a shock. Completely understand the hanging up of your riding boots.

oldie48

Visit site
I am sorry you had such a serious accident and very glad for you that you are now recovering. I am still dithering about hanging up my boots...on blood thinners as well.
I genuinely hadn't realised the risk and was riding in an arena on a very safe horse. I still have no idea why he reacted like he did to an incident that he would normally have completely disregarded. I did get knocked out for a little while and was very confused initially but fortunately I didn't have a bleed on the brain. I was so lucky that I got to hospital quickly and got taken straight into resus. It was during the 6 day junior doctors strike and the ambulance service and A & E were relatively quiet. Good luck with whatever you decide.

misst

Visit site
I am so glad to know you made such a good recovery Oldie. I think as we get older we do have to be more sensible, but we have to decide risk vs benefit and when risk starts to possibly impinge on other things we enjoy (travel, walking etc) and perhaps cause us to become a burden to our families prematurely then I think it is right to err on the side of caution. I envy you that you at least can still play with horses, I miss having them a lot sometimes. Dogs seem to be a good replacement in time wasting and affection though:) as do grandchildren!
I hope you continue to recover well and enjoy life to the full.

planete

Visit site
I genuinely hadn't realised the risk and was riding in an arena on a very safe horse. I still have no idea why he reacted like he did to an incident that he would normally have completely disregarded. I did get knocked out for a little while and was very confused initially but fortunately I didn't have a bleed on the brain. I was so lucky that I got to hospital quickly and got taken straight into resus. It was during the 6 day junior doctors strike and the ambulance service and A & E were relatively quiet. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I am sorry, I am dying to ask a very insensitive question and you do not have to answer it. Were you wearing a body protector at the time? Many of us would not when riding a safe horse in a school. I am wondering whether to buy one, and yes, I know I am not totally sane but I have never in my life worn one and really hate the idea but am considering it now.

Birker2020

Visit site
Yes I ended up being blue lighted to a hospital for a CT scan with a suspected brain bleed and was intensive care overnight following a fall in a sand school and on an orthopaedic ward afterwards for four days.

Mum is on Apixiban which is the same sort of thing as Warfarin and we have to make sure she goes to hospital if she has a fall.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Glad you’ve posted this Oldie48, I have posted about my accident which happened January 23, I was 76 at the time and on a quiet horse who suddenly took fright and spun and I came out of the side door on to the road and thought I had landed on my bum and right hand side of my back. I was really worried as my right hip had been replaced a second time so that was my main thought. I drive myself home , got changed and fed my dogs then felt a bit light headed. My lovely neighbour took me to A&E and everything was ok except I had a bleed on the brain.. I was in hospital for 2 and a half weeks and when I hit home I checked my skull cap and there was a small mark just where the brain bleed was so I must have hit my head… much to the relief of my friends and family and my regret I gave up. I’m still finding it difficult to come to terms with even though I got myself another dog as compensation. If my lottery came up with enough money for me to buy my own place with land I would get a couple of small rescue ponies so I wouldn’t be tempted to have a ride but would still have my horsey fix

scruffyponies

Visit site
Glad you're still with us. Sounds like it was far too close.

Without down-playing the risks of riding, it should be said these things can happen without going near a horse.
I went for a gentle hike down a coastal path last September, slipped and somehow broke my leg.

Trouper

Visit site
I know blood thinners are essential but sometimes they are the pits. Managed to face plant in the bedroom last week and could not stop nose bleeding. Cue call to 111 and then 4 hours in A & E where they were very thorough and head scanned for bleeding. Nothing like your drama @oldie48 and I am so glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery.

When I was put on them some years ago I was still riding regularly. Leaflet said "carry this card in your handbag to alert medics if you are found unconscious" - hardly appropriate when regularly hacking cross-country. I have always therefore worn a medi-alert bracelet specifying the condition and medication so that if found gibbering the medics have some clue. And - as @planete asks - always wore a back protector. I do still ride occasionally but if I had an accident like Oldie's I would have to call it quits.