riding with 2 sets of reins - best combination?

mole

Visit site
im trying my pony in a dutch gag for fun rides and want to use double reins so only have extra control when needed.
wink.gif

what is the best rein combination? my main reins will be rubber so wondering what would go well with them and not be too bulky in my hand.

webbing, rubber, rope/nylon or just plain leather? what do you find the easiest when riding with double reins?
grin.gif

megwan1

Visit site
certainly dont go 4 two sets of rubber cos u'll end up with a bulky handful of rein...
maybe just plain leather or a thin plait as u dont want to holding onto too much rein in ur hand
smile.gif

black_n_white

Visit site
I find that a combination of a rubber rein on the snaffle ring and a very thin webbing rein on the gag works well for me.

I did think about plain leather for mine but was worried about it getting slippery in the rain or if it gets sweaty.

Annagain

Visit site
The reins that only have rubber on one side are good for both reins -good grip but not too much bulk.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I use a rubber lined rein on the top, and a plain rein on the bottom for all activities using double reins.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Have just started using a pelham on my mare and use dresage reins on the snaffle (rubber backed rein
smile.gif
) and plain rein on the curb. Both reins are pretty narrow, but I do only have small hands.
smile.gif