Riding with a hearing aid

Horse-Factbook

www.horsefactbook.com
I know this might sound like a really dumb question but yesterday the hospital said I needed to wear a hearn aid, I hate it when life catches up with you! :(

Anyway, I was too embarrassed at the hospital to ask many questions but later thought I should have asked if I was okay riding with it so I thought I'd ask here. Does anybody else ride with one and have they had any problems?

Thanks

Reactions: DD

daffy44

Visit site
I dont have one, but I have taught a few people who wear them, and one person who wears two, and I've never noticed any problems with them at all, the different people wear different hats and the hearing aids look like they sit comfortably on all of them.

Horse-Factbook

www.horsefactbook.com
Thank you, I'm a total muppet with anything technical so whilst I didnt know, I cant say I'm surprised either!
I've worked out how to fix the link - if you go to your account and click on signature you can then click on the 'add link' icon (see screenshot below) - in that box you can add the link and text.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 15.03.35.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 15.03.35.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 2

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have a pair, but I don't ride in them. I don't need to hear brilliantly when I'm riding, and I'm very aware of the possibility of losing them by having them caught in a mane when I'm cuddling a horse, for example. I also wouldn't want them to get wet in the rain, or full of sweat.

Araby

Visit site
I wear two, result of too many ear infections over the years, was worried they would whistle, but they don't, had no problems catching them in anything, hat effectively keeps them dry, I poo pick without a hood sometimes in torrential rain and this hasn't caused problems either. Don't think I'd like to ride without them as want to hear traffic approaching and of course gossiping with whoever I'm riding with!

Skib

sites.google.com
I have a pair, but I don't ride in them. I don't need to hear brilliantly when I'm riding, and I'm very aware of the possibility of losing them by having them caught in a mane when I'm cuddling a horse, for example. I also wouldn't want them to get wet in the rain, or full of sweat.

I recently got them and am glad of this thread. The woman who fitted me (whose brother breeds horses, she said) told me not to wear them when riding. Our YM who sometimes rides with me said I should not wear them when hacking as they might fall out. To be honest I was worried that if I fell with them in my ears that might injure the ear canal.
It is a bit hypothetical as I currently use mine only in uni lectures. At the theatre I get the theatre hearing phones. An excellent young GP told me they were intended to enhance one's life, not to impede it or be a worry.

Visit site
I know somebody who wears one and it's fine but the only issue she had was when it was really windy one day the wind made them made a horrible whistling noise which scared her horse and she fell off so just be careful - maybe wear ear muffs over the top when it's windy?!

Dreckly

Visit site
I have two aids, quite severe hearing loss and have done for about 20 years now. I wear them all the time when riding. I have never had any problems losing them or getting wet, I certainly wouldn't hack without them as you need to hear. When having lessons I have a radio headset so I can hear my trainer properly. I wear them for all aspects of life, sport, gym and never have any problems. Whether they are right inside the ear, or behind the ear with a tube, they will be fitted snug. They will take some getting used to but persevere and you will get the benefits.

Horse-Factbook

www.horsefactbook.com
I have two aids, quite severe hearing loss and have done for about 20 years now. I wear them all the time when riding. I have never had any problems losing them or getting wet, I certainly wouldn't hack without them as you need to hear. When having lessons I have a radio headset so I can hear my trainer properly. I wear them for all aspects of life, sport, gym and never have any problems. Whether they are right inside the ear, or behind the ear with a tube, they will be fitted snug. They will take some getting used to but persevere and you will get the benefits.
Thanks, I feel much better now I've asked here, I don't feel so bad about wearing it now either

Dreckly

Visit site
Thanks, I feel much better now I've asked here, I don't feel so bad about wearing it now either

Do not feel bad or embarrassed about wearing the aid. Think about it, it is no different to wearing a pair of glasses. Also, do not be afraid to let people know of your hearing loss. I am totally upfront with people about it, more than anything to save myself and them from embarrassment when I totally give a random answer to a question I have misheard!! It can be hilarious sometimes the things I come out with!!

Horse-Factbook

www.horsefactbook.com
Do not feel bad or embarrassed about wearing the aid. Think about it, it is no different to wearing a pair of glasses. Also, do not be afraid to let people know of your hearing loss. I am totally upfront with people about it, more than anything to save myself and them from embarrassment when I totally give a random answer to a question I have misheard!! It can be hilarious sometimes the things I come out with!!
Thank you, I have to say I'm getting better about it now but I know what you mean about random answers being funny sometimes - I've heard some strange things that people didn't say!!

Madali

Visit site
I have a hearing aid and the first time I rode in it I heard things I had never heard before. Squeaking boots, the horse snorting, the sound of her hooves it was amazing.
I don’t often wear it to ride now as if I’m schooling etc as I don’t need to hear
I have a two way training aid for lessons and there is an amazing device that I think is called Roger pen which allows you to blue tooth all sorts of things straight into hearing aid.
so for example if you were hacking or having a lesson the other person wears it round their neck and it blue tooth’s into aid ?
apparently BRC and I think BD are introducing a blue ribbon to identity people who are hard of hearing.

Horse-Factbook

www.horsefactbook.com
I have a hearing aid and the first time I rode in it I heard things I had never heard before. Squeaking boots, the horse snorting, the sound of her hooves it was amazing.
I don’t often wear it to ride now as if I’m schooling etc as I don’t need to hear
I have a two way training aid for lessons and there is an amazing device that I think is called Roger pen which allows you to blue tooth all sorts of things straight into hearing aid.
so for example if you were hacking or having a lesson the other person wears it round their neck and it blue tooth’s into aid ?
apparently BRC and I think BD are introducing a blue ribbon to identity people who are hard of hearing.
That sounds like a great idea, I'll have to have a look at that