Riding with arthritis - how do you cope?

bugsysmum

Visit site
Hi everyone
I've been lurking on here for a long while, but am posting for a bit of reassurance I think! Sadly I lost the horse of my dreams in March and I'm in no way emotionally ready to start looking for another horse to ride as yet, but I have had lots of kind offers to ride other peoples horses.
One of the things stopping me is that I've been having a lot of pain in my right hip, and have been referred for xrays next week, but the Dr said that her initial feeling is that I may have arthritis.
The thought of sitting on a saddle brings tears to my eyes at the moment - I was just wondering if anyone else rides with this condition and if so, what do you do to ease the pain?
BTW I haven't ridden for over 2 years, so am not riding fit at all.
What I'm finding worrying is that I would eventually like to get another horse to ride when the time is right, but I feel like I'm falling apart! I'm only 40 so was hoping I'd have a good few years of riding left in me yet!
Advice / experiences would be appreciated...

tash87

Visit site
I'm 24 & was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis last year, its hard work with horses but if you want to ride you just need to get on with it! My biggest problem is knowing when to slow down

velocette

Visit site
Hi Bugsysmum

Good news is you can definitely ride if you have arthritis, you just have to be careful how you manage your activities and pace yourself. If you're hip is still causing you problems then you should definitely get yourself along to a physio who can give you more advice on specific exercises and how to manage the condition.

Regards to riding obviously the position in a saddle can put strain on your hips if they are stiff or tight. Make sure that you are riding in a saddle that fits you well and is comfortable. When you do get back in the saddle you won't be able to start where you left off you will have to build up gradually. Once you get started then regular riding will be more helpful for you than the odd one here or there which will probably just cause you increased pain and stiffness every time. You have to condition your body back up to the activity. Also you may find that pilates helps to strengthen and loosen your hips so that you are more comfortable in the saddle. Swimming is also good for arthritic joints but avoid breast stroke kick (you can do breast stroke arms and front crawl legs, or use a foat and just kick with your legs) - again these activities need to build up gradually, your hip will tell you when you have done too much!

Stay positive and good luck :)

Anna.

ps - yes I am a Physio!

nikkimariet

Visit site
I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis when I was 16, affecting my lower back, shoulders and neck. And then diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis throughout my pelvis when I was 18. I'm now 22.

Having regular Chiropractic and Physiotherapy sessions is really helpful. I wear a back support (pro lite) when I ride too.

I do gym ball exercises in my room around 4 nights a week, to keep most things stretched and supple. Swimming is great in terms of low impact, but just don't have the time for it at the moment.

superted1989

Visit site
My right hip is bad (if I was 10 years older, they would replace it!). I find dismounting the 'correct' way, almost impossible as he pain of moving forwards/backwards and outwards at the same time is excrutiating, but, I have a method that works for me. For general riding, being as loose as possible across the pelvic girdle seems to help. Gripping with my knees. inner thigh is a big no, no.
I find riding wider horses more comfortable but that could be, over the years, just because it's what I'm used to. Getting generally fitter has helped a lot, as has losing weight. I find, if I have a few days of not being very active, the pain is much, much worse.

eriskaydales

Visit site
I've had Ankylosis Spondylitis since i was 37 and am now 53, still riding only my own pony and certainly no nut jobs any more. Compete at dressage and showing, canter is the worst pace for me as my back can be rather inflexible and weak so ride more with my stomach muscles and less with my back. I feel riding helps me to maintain my posture, although i am saying in my mind through a dressage test "sit up sit up". Affects my back, neck primarily but have weak shoulders and wrist joints. And hips not great. When i first had it could only sit in the saddle and once there couldn't move my legs so had a schooling whip in each hand, best i ever rode actually cos i couldn't grip up haha. But i am a stubborn old cow and you would have to drag me off my horse kicking and screaming before i stopped riding.

bugsysmum

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your posts, and wow, I'm full of admiration for Eriskaydales, Superted 1989 , Nikkimariet and Tash87 and - I'm now giving myself a mental kick and won't give up hope just yet!
Swimming sounds like a great plan - will have to ask nextdoor neighbour very nicely if I can go and use their pool!
Dr has mentioned physio too, so hopefully I can get referred, and I also use a fab McTimoney practionier, I think my plan is to try and build up strength again before I try and ride.
Does anyone take joint supplements or is there anything foodwise which would help too? I've been prescribed anti-inflammatories, which seem to be helping a bit. Weight is ok but I feel quite bloated since I've been taking them.

Achinghips

Visit site
I have rheumatoid. Exercise and range of motion exercises to keep supple help, as does loosing weight. It's a balance really between rest and exercise and Ibuprofen on top of the long term medication (sulphazalasine) already taken. When I get particular bigger flareups it's mostly elbows and fingers, which throb with pain and feel hot.

sue12345

Visit site
I am struggling with this aswel at the moment both mentaly and physicaly. I find the actual riding is not as difficult as mounting and dismounting as the pain is awful. So i have to have help with this but it always ends with me being in fits of laughter because it must be hilarious to watch me. Luckily i have a horse who is more than happy to just stand and wait for me. No way am I not going to get on board.

Suby2

Visit site
I have osteo-arthritis mainly in my right hip and slightly in my left. For pain management on a day to day basis I take eight paracetemol a day (has to be agreed by a GP). The paracetemol only works if you take it regularly and not just when there is pain.

I also take glucasomine and chondroitin but am not sure if this does anything.

I have limited movement in my right hip and cannot mount without a mounting block or dismount the normal way. I have to put my leg over her neck and slide down. Although the paracetemol works it is not enough to stop the pain I get when riding. Again with my GP's agreement I tried different stronger painkillers and finally settled on Tramadol. I just take one before I ride which is a maximum of four times a week.

My pony is also quite round and I had a new closer fitting saddle with more forward stirrup bars fitted a few months ago which has definitely helped.

eriskaydales

Visit site
There are certain foods that can make symptons worse, acidic fruit, fresh tomatoes, sugar. I didn't want to be popping ibupofen when i was diagnosed, especially the amount i was allowed to. I was given a book called curing arthritis the drug free way, and thought what have i got to lose, will give it a whirl. I changed my diet to suit what i could do, gave up sugar, and believe me i've got a horrendous sweet tooth, gave up cheese, had cottage cheese instead and lots of other changes. Oily fish, green salad every day for my supper and it improved my situation one hell of a lot, i did still take the ibupofen but nowhere the doseage i was prescribed. Also a glass of cider vinegar and honey, cant remember the ratio, but had that twice a day.

Thing is we all rush out and get natural remedies for our equines but strangely poo poo it for ourselves?

May not work for everyone but sure as hell did for me.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My doctor has diagnosed me with rhumatic pain, i want to go see a rhumatologist but he said no point as bloods came back normal even tho my hands get very painful, swollen and stiff. I have the same in my hips, left worse than right, i find a dressage saddle, i have the Isabel worth swede one i sit better in the saddle than a gp.
If needed i take co-codymol four times a day dury a flare up but that doesnt always help.

sue12345

Visit site
Would just like to add that there is someone on this forum who is a total inspiration to me. When i am struggling i just remind myself that she has had a lot more than arthritis to deal with and she copes amazingly.

paulineh

Visit site
I have a friend that is an endurance rider. She has had both hips replaced and still rides 160km (100miles in a day)

She will often ride several horses (exercise) in a day.

It can be done.

chels

Visit site
I have chronic rheumatoid, diagnosed at 17, I'm 25 now. My wrists and hands have deteriorated to the point that my wrists have fused solid, and my hands and fingers are fairly deformed. I also have limited movement and strength in my elbows, right knee, spine and deterioration in my feet. I am a classified para-rider now.
It can be done! I have a lovely horse who is very gentle and careful with me and coaches who know exactly where I'm at and what I can do.
Dressage is my main focus now although I still jump a bit while I can. I ride most days, and staying riding fit really helps. I think I'd curl up and die with out my pony!

Old Bat

Visit site
I have psoriatic arthritis in various bits of me...you have some really good advice already, especially diet related which will help. Its bound to be "horses for courses" and you'll have to experiment a bit to find out what triggers pain and what helps it...I've found green lipped muscle extract really helpful, and a narrower horse with a good shoulder which doesn't spread the hips quite as much and has a good length of stride.

liss1987

Visit site
I'm also 24 and have arthritis in most of my joints, but it's my shoulders that suffer the most when I ride for some reason, unless it's cold and then I'll ache all over.
There's nothing I can really do about it as far as I'm aware and just grin and bear it. I don't want anything to hold me back from what I want to do!
I think you just get used to the pain after a while and if you're having fun you tend to forget about it a little. If I'm sat in the house, all I can think about is the pain! So just keep as active as you can and do the things you enjoy :)

mtj

Visit site
I have psoriatic arthritis in various bits of me...you have some really good advice already, especially diet related which will help. Its bound to be "horses for courses" and you'll have to experiment a bit to find out what triggers pain and what helps it...I've found green lipped muscle extract really helpful, and a narrower horse with a good shoulder which doesn't spread the hips quite as much and has a good length of stride.

Thanks for posting this. My father has psoriatic arthritis and I've been dreading the thought of giving up riding if it happens to me also. Its the reason I took a looked at this thread.

Great to know there are ways of continuing.

arizonahoney

Visit site
I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis
I did not know that - hello from a fellow AS person! That inspires me to make a bit more effort with my dressage :p

There are certain foods that can make symptons worse...gave up cheese
Cheese?! :eek: But I love cheese...did not know it had an effect...thought it was mostly foods with gluten in that were bad :(

I am on Humira which I inject every fortnight. I am symptom free now and have so much energy compared to before that perhaps I do too much now? Anyway, I have to learn to pace myself a little...

Old Bat

Visit site
Thanks for posting this. My father has psoriatic arthritis and I've been dreading the thought of giving up riding if it happens to me also. Its the reason I took a looked at this thread.

Great to know there are ways of continuing.

Just caught up with the thread again....I hope you are still ok? Just to let you know that I'm still riding, the cold weather doesn't help but the thermal underwear does! I hope all goes well for you x

rema

Visit site
I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis 17 years ago i'm 38 now..I have some major flare ups to the point i cannot raise my arms to wash my hair or put my socks on.I have had X-rays and Steroid injections into my knuckles and Jaw.My jaw would just dislocate as and when it felt like it and if i was out in the pub for instance i would have to get friends to put my jaw back for me.I have to keep going as have my own place for the horses and it can take me 3 hours to muck out one stable and i get so frustrated and angry with myself..I also work full time..You cannot let it beat you..It is a battle between me and my immune system and i will not let it beat me,,slow me down yes but it will never rule my life.

Diet and exercise are very important and as one poster has said tomatoes are a pig for causing a flare up.the drugs available today are getting so advanced and there are so many combinations that you may have to go through until you find the one that suits you best..

Don't ever give into it..it will drag you down..

Coldfeet!

Visit site
I was diagnosed with bi-lateral osteoarthritis in my late twenties, this is hereditary from my dads side, he is 60 and on his 4th op to take place this year which is revision of the second original full replacement due to a metal on metal issue with the replacement joint. and can no longer do the walks he used to love. Im mid thirties now. I have had one full replacement, I still have pain in my upper leg which feels sciatic but the worst is the slightly reduced mobility. The other hurts quite a bit and is sometimes stiff and I get a lot of lower back pain.

I take paracetmol and just do it, I feel I would rather get to 70 a bit of a cripple and done the thing I love the most then still be able to walk and regret never riding. I always find its worse when I get up the morning after riding. I dont ride at the moment as mine is maturing but come summer I will be hobbling again!

Elsiecat

Visit site
I have arthritis in my feet/ankles and I suspect it's coming in my fingers.
I try and take it as easy as I can but as another user said, its hard to know when to slow down.
I've got no constructive advice but it's nice to see I'm not the only one in this boat.

Arthritis at 18, now that's what I call a good catch ;):eek::rolleyes:

TangoCurly

Visit site
I had OA in my left hip and had a full replacement just over a year ago when I was 37. before then I had had to give up riding as i couldn't open my left left enough to sit on the horse without nearly wobbling off the LHS! i found i had to ride regularly before i gave up otherwise I didn't have a hope of being able to sit on my horse.

If you do get a new hip then go for a ceramic headed model - the bigger head means that dislocation is far less likely and sitting on a horse is a good way to dislocate a small headed replacement joint!

i was back to riding 2.5months after the operation and couldn't believe the difference, i was able to feel the horse's back move so much better, and sit in balance on her! Much more to the point, i was in absolute agony riding before the op and it felt painfree after it!

POLLDARK

Visit site
Health problems pushed me into dressage & I find riding with the longer leg really helps, though it was hell getting used to it. It also had the benefit of the horses being taught to respond to lighter aids, rein,seat & leg, which also helps me. Miss the jumping though.

TangoCurly

Visit site
Thing is though, with hip arthritis, you can't sit in a dressage seat with long legs as that involves opening your leg. Instead you are forced to have your thigh almost horizontal to avoid opening it and have no stability in your seat at all!

leojoshrun

New User
Visit site
Thing is though, with hip arthritis, you can't sit in a dressage seat with long legs as that involves opening your leg. Instead you are forced to have your thigh almost horizontal to avoid opening it and have no stability in your seat at all!

Being a hip arthritis patient; riding horse is dangerous. While being on ground doing exercise or running is far better than horse riding.

Leo