Riding with Injuries (ankle)

JuneMcD

New User
Visit site
a year and a half ago I twisted my ankle and it resulted in a torn section of my ankle bone. At times its painful but I am missing riding, although I dont want to damage it further. Does anyone have an experience of this kind of injury to give me any pointers. I have looked online but not found anything which answers my question from a rider viewpoint and my doctor doesnt ride so cant really put himself in my place.
Thanx anyone out there.
June

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
I can relate!

I have had 4 ops on my right ankle after dislocation and then after that healed I dislocated it again and split the ligaments holding the tib and fib together at the ankle......horrible.

Despite all this (last op was in oct) I am lucky that i dont find it painful to ride even when my heels are down but think thats because I have excessive joint laxity in them so they bend/twist far too much!

Sprenger stirrups help tho

Charlotte125

Visit site
I can also relate! had reconstructive surgery on my ankle in January! Got told not to ride for months but rode pretty much straight after pot came off. Ive just got normal stirrups, not sure is the flexi ones would allow my ankle to bed too much. Luckily mine doesnt hurt when riding, just stiffens up after. Hope you get your sorted! X

black_horse

Visit site
i had 7 breaks in my leg after a horse kick, extensive muscle damage and nerves severed.

i dont recommend flexi stirrups as i found them too unstable for my leg. however, i recommend some stirrups from jefferies. they have a rotational piece where the stirrup leather attaches to the stirrup, which can be turned at 45 and 90 degree angles to the stirrup. it helps to reduce stress down the leg and angle and allow your leg to be more stable.

http://www.ejeffries.co.uk/Stirrups/MDC-SU-S.html