Riding with spurs - questions...

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Hi,
On my instructor's advice, I bought a pair of spurs today. I got the ones she recommended - rounded ends, v short shank. I'll have a lesson on Saturday but put them on today to have a go and did find out exactly why she thought they'd be a good idea - more impulsion and a more 'awake' horse. She'd said to just 'ride like you usually do' with them on, so I did (making sure I had my toes in so I didn't inadvertently jab my horse with them). We only walked and trotted (had a heavy day xc schooling yesterday) but at least it was some practice. My girl didn't seem to mind them at all. She wasn't any faster, just used her hind end more and was lighter in the hand - it felt lovely! Normally I have to work quite hard to get what I got today!

Anyway, questions...
- I found out xc schooling that a jab with my heels just before the jump gets us over the 'scary' ones. With spurs on, I'm guessing I just turn my toes out a little and squeeze just enough to get a reaction?
- How often would you wear spurs? Just for jumping? Only at shows? If she always went like she did today when schooling she'd build up much more muscle behind (where she really needs it). Could I use them maybe 3 times a week - 2 flatwork and one show? Or is that too much?
- Is there anything I need to watch out for/make sure I don't do? My instructor says my lower leg is stable enough to wear spurs but I've not used them before and am a little paranoid I'll hurt her!!

Thanks
smile.gif

star

Visit site
i wear them all the time, doesn't mean i use them. if you're riding correctly it shouldn't matter whether you're wearing them or not - you choose when to apply them and only use them when needed.

mystiandsunny

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i wear them all the time, doesn't mean i use them. if you're riding correctly it shouldn't matter whether you're wearing them or not - you choose when to apply them and only use them when needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit like carrying a whip all the time - rarely use it but the horse knows it's there?

star

Visit site
yes, i think my horse does know when i'm wearing them. i used to have to use them quite a lot, but now rarely have to touch him with them, more when i'm doing lateral work.

scrumpygus

Visit site
Theres a write up on the classical dressage website which says that wearing short spurs is worse than wearing long spurs as you jeopardise your lower leg position to apply them - they advise a longer spur. Have a look at the website and see what you think - also if you are worried you can get those spurs with the little rubber balls on the end they look quite kind to use. Good Luck!

mystiandsunny

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Theres a write up on the classical dressage website which says that wearing short spurs is worse than wearing long spurs as you jeopardise your lower leg position to apply them - they advise a longer spur. Have a look at the website and see what you think - also if you are worried you can get those spurs with the little rubber balls on the end they look quite kind to use. Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

That does make sense for my pony and if I were to put my stirrups down at all on my horse (riding jumping length all the time at the moment to build the muscles for that length as I didn't have any!). On the pony I found I really had to move my foot to apply them at all. When I've got the hang of them properly there were a longer pair with the same rounded ends - will ask my instructor. Think I'm on the short ones to learn with at the moment!