Rid'Up Stirrups

HelenBack

Visit site
Has anybody used Rid'Up stirrups and do you recommend them if so? Obviously I'm especially interested in how they perform in the event of a fall.

I'm currently using the Acavallo Alupro stirrups and I've had a couple of incidents where I've nearly come off and my foot stayed in the stirrup. One time I was half on and half off and had to decide which way to go and manually release my foot. Another time I did actually land up with my right foot on the floor but my left still in the stirrup and again had to manually release my foot. These were both slower motion incidents and thankfully my horse stood still while I sorted myself out. We were in an arena though and I don't fancy taking that sort of risk if I was out on a XC course for example. Speaking to some other people they have heard of similar incidents and it just makes me a bit nervous really.

Somebody has recommended the Rid'Up stirrups to me and I really like the idea of them and the fact that in theory they should really minimise the risk of you being dragged in the event of a fall. I understand the release mechanism is based in ski binding technology and as a skier myself I think this is a great idea (and yes, I do put my bindings to the test regularly!). I suppose I'm just a bit nervous though with this being a new use of the concept in a different setting, and worry about them either releasing when they shouldn't, or not releasing when they should.

Has anybody got them and had the bad fortune to be able to test them in the event of a fall please?

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Someone has them at my yard and they’re ok. But when I was looking for safety stirrups after a slightly excitable ride when my foot had slipped, I was chatting with a pro rider and he doesn’t like any safety stirrups that rely on any mechanism as they can fail. He rides in the Rid’up regularly and likes them enough as stirrups go but he doesn’t fall off so it’s not terribly relevant to him! 🤣. He didn’t recommend them to me as an option (he didn’t really recommend anything useful but he does like the ones I chose) Not terribly helpful, sorry!

In case it does help at all, I got the free jump soft up classic. They just have a gap and slightly bendy outside bit and don’t look as weird as the other free jump ones, more like a ‘normal’ stirrup. I used to have the sprenger bow balance and I didn’t feel that there was much chance of my foot coming free in the event of a fall despite the bendy sides. It’s a horrible feeling when it all goes a bit slow mo!

Jambarissa

Visit site
I struggled to find a saddle to fit round cob and so have fallen off several times in the Alupro in a slow fall sideways slip leaving my foot in the stirrup each time.

It does stay in longer than you would expect and the grip is very grippy which stopped me being able to slip my foot out at a point where I still could have but as soon as there was pressure it released.

I can't see the Rid Up being very different, it must need a fair amount of pressure and angle to release otherwise it'd open when you land badly after a jump.

I am happy with my Alupro. My only gripe is that it is hard to get your foot out if your horse moves off when mounting. You wouldn't be dragged but will prob be pulled off the step.

HelenBack

Visit site
Someone has them at my yard and they’re ok. But when I was looking for safety stirrups after a slightly excitable ride when my foot had slipped, I was chatting with a pro rider and he doesn’t like any safety stirrups that rely on any mechanism as they can fail. He rides in the Rid’up regularly and likes them enough as stirrups go but he doesn’t fall off so it’s not terribly relevant to him! 🤣. He didn’t recommend them to me as an option (he didn’t really recommend anything useful but he does like the ones I chose) Not terribly helpful, sorry!

In case it does help at all, I got the free jump soft up classic. They just have a gap and slightly bendy outside bit and don’t look as weird as the other free jump ones, more like a ‘normal’ stirrup. I used to have the sprenger bow balance and I didn’t feel that there was much chance of my foot coming free in the event of a fall despite the bendy sides. It’s a horrible feeling when it all goes a bit slow mo!

I was thinking about this and I do get the pro rider's point of view, and have actually wondered to myself whether I will go back to a more traditional stirrup (this is the first pair of safety stirrups I've owned). I suppose it's difficult though isn't it? Yes, the mechanism can fail but then equally safety stirrups at least have a mechanism that in theory shouldn't fail most of the time, whereas traditional stirrups have nothing. I presume safety stirrups first came about due to incidents of riders being dragged in normal ones. So I sort of agree but sort of think the logic might be a bit flawed.

I would like to try the not falling off strategy but I'm not sure it will work!

I will have a look at the free jump ones though, although more choice isn't necessarily a good thing for me!

Yes and yes. I havent fallen off in them but the horse did walk off when I had my foot in the stirrup getting on and I slipped and the stirrup detached and stopped me getting dragged

Thanks for that. Did you feel in your limited experience that the release was proportionate, i.e. came away when needed but wouldn't just come away with too little pressure? Ski bindings are adjustable according to your weight and I have had them release to easily in the past when they were set up wrong so I guess part of me wonders why this should be different. Appreciate it's only similar technology and being used in a different way though.

I struggled to find a saddle to fit round cob and so have fallen off several times in the Alupro in a slow fall sideways slip leaving my foot in the stirrup each time.

It does stay in longer than you would expect and the grip is very grippy which stopped me being able to slip my foot out at a point where I still could have but as soon as there was pressure it released.

I can't see the Rid Up being very different, it must need a fair amount of pressure and angle to release otherwise it'd open when you land badly after a jump.

I am happy with my Alupro. My only gripe is that it is hard to get your foot out if your horse moves off when mounting. You wouldn't be dragged but will prob be pulled off the step.

Yes I think it is the grippy grip that is the problem when it's a slower fall/ dismount. I have fallen off properly and it did let me out then but my few experiences and then speaking to others who have had bad experiences too just makes me a bit uneasy about them.

The Rid Up is meant to be different in that the whole stirrup detaches in extreme force, so presumable with a normal fall your foot would just come away but if you were going flying the stirrup would come away from the saddle even if your foot was still in it. I like it as a concept but it is the fear that it would detach too easily or not at all that worries me (I've experienced both skiing). I expect some research must have been done on the stirrups so I should probably go and read that really.

Have a look at Safestyle, no mechanism to break or jam, not well known though.

Oh heck, more choice! I will go and have a look though, thanks.

Skib

sites.google.com
I ride in Sprenger safety stirrups.They look just like normal stirrups. I have never lost a stirrup and in two falls my foot did not catch. But you have to have the right size stirrups for the boots you are wearing

palo1

Visit site
I use Icelandic stirrups (double bent irons and at 90 degrees)...they are lovely to ride in but very unfancy/very traditional looking. I have had numerous unscheduled dismounts whilst using them over time - never once had my foot stuck!

webble

Visit site
@HelenBack it felt propotional I was glad they worked. We have had some interesting spooks which have resulted in my foot and weight at odd angles and they haven't worked when they shouldn't which I found the style with arms like le mieux sometimes did

There is a uk company that sells the rid up fairly cheap I can't remember the name but don't use them. If you come across them pm me because I'll remember it if I see the website

Cragrat

Visit site
I have aways distrusted any stirrup that relies on any sort of moving part or mechanism. I bought the double bent Icelandic stirrups for my kids, and then bought them Freejumps when they came out. The oldest pair has now developd a very subtle creak that can't be heard, but kind of feels like your foot has pins and needles! I can't see or feel any loose parts, but I guess the foot bed is a bit loose. I can't fault them though - they've been in pretty much daily or twice daily ( they swap from saddle very easily so get used on every saddle) use for maybe 10 years?
None of us has had a foot stuck in them yet.....

The wieght is ithe only drawback, but then that does help them hang down in the correct place.

flat3

Visit site
I have the Rid Ups and have used them for a couple of years. *Touches wood* I haven't had a fall where the detachment did/should have triggered so I can't advise on that, but I can say it hasn't triggered when it shouldn't. I find them comfy to ride in. Hope that helps!

HelenBack

Visit site
@HelenBack it felt propotional I was glad they worked. We have had some interesting spooks which have resulted in my foot and weight at odd angles and they haven't worked when they shouldn't which I found the style with arms like le mieux sometimes did

There is a uk company that sells the rid up fairly cheap I can't remember the name but don't use them. If you come across them pm me because I'll remember it if I see the website

Thanks, that's reassuring. I have found them somewhere for about £170 so I wonder if that's the same place. I'll message you to check as I was going to order a couple of other things at the same time so would be good to know to avoid if possible.

I have the Rid Ups and have used them for a couple of years. *Touches wood* I haven't had a fall where the detachment did/should have triggered so I can't advise on that, but I can say it hasn't triggered when it shouldn't. I find them comfy to ride in. Hope that helps!

Thanks, yes very helpful :)

GoldenWillow

Visit site
To add something else to the mix I'm using Ophena stirrups atm. I'm riding in a Christ Lamfelle pad due to saddle issues and as it has closed rings I want to make sure my feet will come free. It's possibly overkill but an accident 10 years ago has left me with a huge fear of getting my feet stuck in stirrups.