Rig op, experiences please

JS65

Visit site
My beautiful pally colt has been diagnosed a full rig, no testicles present at 18mths.
Both testicles are up in near his kidneys so he is off for surgery next Monday.

Has anyone had the op done and if so what type of recovery time and care did your horse need?
He will stay in over night and obviously i will be told all this but just wanted to hear any experiences please.

sanchob

Visit site
Brought my 3 yr old GELDING and discovered he was a rigg. He had castration scar tissue but was coltish and rampant. We tested him and he went off the scale -then he had the hormone blood test done and again went off the scale. Went up to RVC for a week as the starvation period before the opp was almost 3 days and i don't think i could have coped with him hungry plus in case of colic risk i wanted him in the best place for his safety.He was there for 1 week and had 2 testicles successfully removed from his stomach. .The scar was quite small and he had box rest for 2 wks then walking in hand . All in all his healing period was about 6-7 wks .

JS65

Visit site
Crikey !!
They have said nothing about a starvation period and are only keeping him in overnight!
Will ring to clarify in the morning.

whirlwindhorses

www.whirlwindhorses.co.uk
Had a rig op on a 3yr old with only one testicle last October. Missing one was in his stomach (i think). Didn't need to starve him. He went in on the Weds, had the op, came home the following morning and was turned straight out into the field. He was only turned out daytime but had hardly any swelling. The hole they made looking for the missing one took a little longer to heal, about 3 weeks, but otherwise he had no problems at all. He didn't have antibiotics or bute other than what they gave him on the day he had the op.