Rigcalm or General calmer?

buddylove

Visit site
Morning all,
Have been at new yard for a week. Horse is settled and happy in his stable with (boy) company either side.
He has been on individual turnout and has been ok apart from a bit of charging around when others are walked past. He was then put in with another gelding but next to some particularly tarty mares and he got into a right state and went through the fence.
I don't want him to get a bad rep! He is generally good, bit bossy in the field, previously turned out with a gelding and mare (both smaller ponies).
He is obviously quite stressed and this has been amplified by mares declaring their love! Is it worth trying Rigcalm in this situation or would a general calmer be better? I want to try and get this under control ASAP as he has suffered from low grade ulcers in the past.

Supertrooper

Visit site
I had my gelding on it for awhile. He was a stallion until he was six, plus had been feral all that time.

I think it did help but the biggest help was moving him away from the initial yard where they put four mares next to him and then wondered why he got wound up! He'd only been there a day. So he was unsettled anyway and when he's worried he goes bolshy.

He's now at a much better yard, out with another gelding and actually now has a mare next to him. He did get wound up for about an hour when she arrived and I was worried he'd try and get in with her but she is a right stroppy whatsit and he very very quickly learnt to leave her alone!

I think keeping your boy away from girls, giving him time to settle and poss using rig calm would help.

Micropony

Visit site
My old horse was a demon with the ladies. When on mixed turnout with a particularly flirtatious one he was seen mounting her. He was very dominant in the field with other geldings, and could be dangerous to people who were foolish enough to get in the way of a disagreement over a mare.

What settled him down completely was a change of yard that enabled him to have a much more settled routine and, most importantly, turnout and stabling well away from mares.

After a couple of years, he was occasionally turned out in sight of and sometimes next to a mare, but by then he seemed to have got over himself and remained his usual gentle self.

So based on my, admittedly somewhat limited, experience, I would hope that if you are able to keep him away from mares he will settle. Some sort of supplement in the meantime possibly wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't be able to recommend one, as I didn't go that route.