right hind leg lameness

leanne1988

Visit site
Hi All,

My pony became lame on her right hind leg during a riding lesson, we had only been riding for 5 minutes & we put it down too the school's- soft/deep surface - as she hasnt been in a school before & is usually schooled in a field.

She seems to be slightly twisting her foot inwards when shes in the weight-bearing phase of a gait. She was also dragging her toe....

theres is no heat or swelling, no obvious signs of a wound, puncture etc...

anyway, vet came out next day. did flexion test, trotting up & down.... she couldnt find anything. so was advised it was probably a pulled muscle,so shes been put on bute 2x a day & solid rest for 7 days....

3 days into the bute treatment and i really cant see any improvement. Vet said she should be sound on the bute... :S

not only is she not sound, she seems to be dragging her toes on both hind legs now... (although the twisting seems to have lessened)! Im not sure whether this is just a laziness thing as she has just plodding about in her field for days (getting very fat), or whether i should be concerned?

If she still isnt right after her course of bute she will be going in for nerve blocking & x rays. but would just appreciate some advice from anyone who's had/having similar symptoms?

Thanks!

Andalucian

Visit site
If you're sure it was sound before the lesson, and the lameness definitely happed as you describe I'd be inclined to get a body worker to look her over before going down the nerveblock, xray route. It might be stifle, pelvis, hips or back. A skilled body worker should be able to pinpoint the site of the pain and may be able to resolve it.