Rigs

evilmavis

Visit site
I had my boy gelded back in February which went wrong, the vet could only find one testicle once he had started the procedure....

Anyway i had the vet out again today to check to see if it had dropped, it hasn't, the vet said because he is 16 months old now its highly unlikely that it will drop and he needs to go to a equine hospital for the cryptorchidectomy operation...

Do you think this is correct or should i wait a bit longer as i've herd that it can take up til 2 and a half years old to drop?

scrunchie

Visit site
Was the horse sedated for the vet examination?

I was told that it can take a bit longer too - but my baby hadn't dropped at all and we thought that both might be retained. Not sure if it's the same timespan if one is already out.

evilmavis

Visit site
Yes he was sedated and then when the vet couldn't find the other one he completely knocked him out, got another vet to attend and they both had a good rummage and couldn't find it still, this is why he thinks it won't drop now...

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
My youngster had exactly the same problem.. I waited until he was 2 and a half, gave him as much time possible to drop the other but when it didn't he was referred to a vet in Bolton who did the procedure. One of his testicles was shriveled up and near his kidneys..
He was there 24 hours and home the day after the op. They did an excellent job, and it was much cheaper than sending him to Liverpool, which is where he would have had to go.

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
Shadeyoak how much did you pay? I've been quoted anywhere between £700 and £1000 plus vat

£450 (was quoted £350-450 depending on how extensive the op was) including VAT, shop around, it's only because I have a fab vet that I was able to find one who did it, that wasn't Leahurst.
If I can remember the name of the Surgery, i'll PM you