Ringworm!

mybaileysglide

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed with ringworm by a vet about 12th August, we have since been treating it correctly and it has now gone. The hair has all grown back and you cannot even tell he's had it, its been gone for about a week now. I was wondering if anyone knew how long it should be until i can take my horse out of isolation? I don't want to put him in the field with other horses, i just want to bring him down to the main yard to get his shoes done (he has been isolated in a field for over 4 weeks). My livery yard owner says I'm still not allowed to come down but this might be because i have told her i am moving to a new yard in a couple of weeks and she is annoyed at me. she has told me I'm not allowed to bring my horse down until the day i leave, she even told the people that were going to move my horse not to because of the ringworm. They already knew he had ringworm and it is gone now and they were happy to do it (they are other liveries on the yard) but the yard owner has had a word with them and they have changed their mind. I would just like peoples opinions on whether you think the yard owner is generally concerned about the ringworm or whether she is just being difficult because i have told her i am leaving? Also how long until you can take your horse out of isolation?

dianchi

Visit site
Personally I would say 6 weeks, have you treated all rugs headcollars etc etc etc
Have you been wearing overalls when handling him? Disinfecting boots etc?

Also have you checked with the farrier he is happy to do your horse?

windseywoo

Visit site
She's just being difficult, have you checked with your new place that they are ok with everything? If so I'd move horse earlier and get off the yard. If the farrier can come down to the field that maybe easier just make sure you disinfect everything after.

mybaileysglide

Visit site
yes everything is disinfected and i have been wearing gloves, changing clothes etc when treating him.. i even disinfected every post in his field. everyone knows he's had ringworm before they go near him, I'm not keeping it a secret from anyone and new yard knows. the farrier is happy to do his feet but think i will have to wait until i get to the new yard to have them done as can't access field with a van. also the new transport that i have to use cannot move us until the 29th so i am stuck at this yard until then.

twiggy2

Visit site
speak to your vet-but maybe YO is a bit fed up that the horse has had ringworm (is the horse new?) and will be leaving a field and stable that will need a fair bit of time and work to make them ok to put a new livery into, maybe they don't want to create a problem with other people on the yard for the sake of someone who is leaving

mybaileysglide

Visit site
no i don't think there is anything i can do, i suppose its not too long to wait.. horse will get a nice long break. no i have been at this yard for a while and it was a new horse from another yard that was put in with my horse that we assume was carrying the ringworm and gave it to my horse. Also we don't have a stable, just a field and we have disinfected every post in the field and the yard owner said we had to disinfect the tying up area at the main yard, which we did a while ago. I understand what you're saying twiggy2 but at what point if we were staying would we be allowed down to the main yard, this seems like a long time. i did tell her i would just stand him in the car park just to get his shoes done and wouldn't go near the yard (she said she didn't want him touching any wood) but she still said no. its just a bit annoying as his feet are looking pretty poor :(

twiggy2

Visit site
no i don't think there is anything i can do, i suppose its not too long to wait.. horse will get a nice long break. no i have been at this yard for a while and it was a new horse from another yard that was put in with my horse that we assume was carrying the ringworm and gave it to my horse. Also we don't have a stable, just a field and we have disinfected every post in the field and the yard owner said we had to disinfect the tying up area at the main yard, which we did a while ago. I understand what you're saying twiggy2 but at what point if we were staying would we be allowed down to the main yard, this seems like a long time. i did tell her i would just stand him in the car park just to get his shoes done and wouldn't go near the yard (she said she didn't want him touching any wood) but she still said no. its just a bit annoying as his feet are looking pretty poor :(

def sounds like she is being difficult

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
She is being difficult probably because she feels guilty that she allowed a new horse onto the yard to infect yours. This overkill now smacks of shutting the stable door. My guess is that she believes that you are leaving because of her originally poor hygiene standards and is making a point.

Janovich

Visit site
Mmmm... from what you've said, it sounds like you're just going to have to 'suck it up' and count your sleeps until 29th Sept and your day of departure.

I wouldn't bother with the YO anymore,..just get on with taking care of your horse, get the farrier to attend to your horse in the field as best he can...and look forward to Day One on your new yard !!! :).

Some folk just love to make life difficult and downright miserable don't they now?!! Don't take her/him on,...just get on and get moving off as soon as !

Good Luck and take care of you both s