Rip ava

angel7

Visit site
Many thanks to replies posted on here for help and advice with Ava's bone cyst in the coffin joint.
Thanks to imogen, I got Ava some Metacam which helped make her more comfortable for a short period.
I made the decision last week to call it a day.
Ava had lost all her sparkle and personality due to the pain in her front feet. I couldn't watch as she could only shuffle about as if walking on broken glass. Her zest for life had evaporated.
I planned it for Wed pm. I loaded her up with double doses of Metacam and 4 bute a day for 5 days to get her comfortable (my vet had told me this was unsustainable high dose). I let her out like any other day and she actually had a canter about with the other horses in the sunshine. She called to me when she saw me and ran up to the gate, giving it her usual bump to be allowed in, and my heart nearly broke.

I took her in and we did our usual, legs washed, feet picked out, fed and brushed over. I couldn't help but have a cry when she leaned her head on me and breathed on my hair.

I led her to the arena where she demontrated her limp for the vet.
I held her and stroked her ears as the injection was given. She knelt down as if going for a roll, let out a gentle sigh and she was gone.

A peaceful dignified end to her constant pain.

I felt real relief once I had made the decision and it was done. I didn't need to worry about every little thing - how sore was she today/good/bad, lost shoes, torn hooves, swollen legs, cracked skin, how much each new problem was costing ect. It was the correct decision for us and I'm glad I was there at the end.

To anyone considering PTS I would have the inj over the gun, it was much less traumatic for me.
I would also say to anyone having to consider pst for their horse, there is comfort in making the decision and having a plan.
Some people disagreed with my decision - "where there's life there's hope" and "nature can heal with time, turn her away" were thrown at me from several people.

But they didn't see my beautiful mare wasting away mentally and physically from being in constant pain. Painkillers didn't work and I couldn't keep a shoe on her for more than a week.

I have decided to give up horses, at least for a while. I am emotionally and physically exhausted. Here is address to Ava for those who'd like to see how lovely she was.

http://public.fotki.com/tarbet/2010-albums/miscellanous/ava/

Thanks all

MissTyc

Visit site
So sorry to read this - always a difficult choice, but the kindest for the horse. Our ultimate responsbility as owners. Well done for being brave for her, now please don't forget to look after yourself.

misst

Visit site
RIP Ava run sound x

Well done. A hard decision made harder when people do not support you.:(
((hugs)) for doing right by your girl.

TicTac

Visit site
Aw sweetie, it sounds like you did the right thing and good for you for putting your horse,s welfare before your emotions (((((((((((( Hugs)))))))))

fadetogrey

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your loss she was beautiful and you made the correct decision and put your horses welfare first, so many don't ...
Big hugs...and hope one day you feel like owning and riding another horse
xxx

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site
Many thanks to replies posted on here for help and advice with Ava's bone cyst in the coffin joint.
Thanks to imogen, I got Ava some Metacam which helped make her more comfortable for a short period.
I made the decision last week to call it a day.
Ava had lost all her sparkle and personality due to the pain in her front feet. I couldn't watch as she could only shuffle about as if walking on broken glass. Her zest for life had evaporated.
I planned it for Wed pm. I loaded her up with double doses of Metacam and 4 bute a day for 5 days to get her comfortable (my vet had told me this was unsustainable high dose). I let her out like any other day and she actually had a canter about with the other horses in the sunshine. She called to me when she saw me and ran up to the gate, giving it her usual bump to be allowed in, and my heart nearly broke.

I took her in and we did our usual, legs washed, feet picked out, fed and brushed over. I couldn't help but have a cry when she leaned her head on me and breathed on my hair.

I led her to the arena where she demontrated her limp for the vet.
I held her and stroked her ears as the injection was given. She knelt down as if going for a roll, let out a gentle sigh and she was gone.

A peaceful dignified end to her constant pain.

I felt real relief once I had made the decision and it was done. I didn't need to worry about every little thing - how sore was she today/good/bad, lost shoes, torn hooves, swollen legs, cracked skin, how much each new problem was costing ect. It was the correct decision for us and I'm glad I was there at the end.

To anyone considering PTS I would have the inj over the gun, it was much less traumatic for me.
I would also say to anyone having to consider pst for their horse, there is comfort in making the decision and having a plan.
Some people disagreed with my decision - "where there's life there's hope" and "nature can heal with time, turn her away" were thrown at me from several people.

But they didn't see my beautiful mare wasting away mentally and physically from being in constant pain. Painkillers didn't work and I couldn't keep a shoe on her for more than a week.

I have decided to give up horses, at least for a while. I am emotionally and physically exhausted. Here is address to Ava for those who'd like to see how lovely she was.

http://public.fotki.com/tarbet/2010-albums/miscellanous/ava/

Thanks all

So sorry for your pain but you made the right decision and I am sorry that others could not recognise this. xx

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
So sad to read, but you did the best thing for her and it' so obvious how much you loved and adored her.

Rest in peace Ava x