RIP Chalkie You fought lami so hard!!!

louise1967

Visit site
I made the decision to have my pony PTS last night after his 3rd bout of lami in 2 yrs, the hardest decision of my life and not sure now if it was the right one, but he has been in pain for 6 weeks now and I cant seem to stop him hurting, inprints helped innitially but then they stopped working, then pads on his feet and hes buted right up, and the little chap always tried to stay chirpy, but he has had this bout since Nov and after picking up went downhill again and he did get lami when living on a starvation paddock for the last 2 yrs aswell. Its the worse feeling in the world knowing I chose to put him to sleep and wondering if he would have got better a 3rd time, insurance excluded it from my policy after paying out for 12 months before and the vet said, he would need another £1000 spent on him with no guarantees that he would be any better after that, I miss him so much it hurts, RIP Chalkie my little man xxx

Sparkles

Visit site
I know how it feels hun....went through the same fight with Tommy last August
frown.gif
Absolutely heart wrenching
frown.gif
*hugs*

xxxx

louise1967

Visit site
Thanks nice to know someone knows how im feeling!!! I wasnt even this bad when my dogs were pts, but then they were old, he was only 18 and has left such a hole in my heart, its horrible playing god and having to decide when they go.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your pony. Sounds like he's a rough time, but you have done the right thing. Nothing worse than having to make that decision.

Sparkles

Visit site
It's awful isn't it
frown.gif
Tommy was about 11 and 18.2...so a big lad to have to fight with it! Had his head in my lap when he went, bless his heart.
I take comfort in the fact that we'd tried everything we possibly could and the only humane option for him in the end was that and that he was free from all the pain then, similar to yours xxx

louise1967

Visit site
its a horrible condition that not enough is known about it really, after fighting it off the first 2 times and basically wrapping him in cotton wool, he then got it again. Your Tommy must have been in a lot of pain all that weight on painfull feet, unnusual for horses to get lami I thought, only a handfull get it im told.

Sparkles

Visit site
Yeah he was bless him, he fought it for 6 weeks and his lami attack was actually stopping but the amount of medication he had to be on to sustain him at that time was extortionate and was a kill or cure really
frown.gif
His organs stopped working and his appetite went fully and wouldn't get up, so it was then when we decided he'd made his mind up.
frown.gif
Worst day of my life in a long time and yes, time is a healer but will never be forgotten either.
He had a little robin that sat on his door and sang all whilst he was box-confined. We've just got a new heavyweight for this season and oddly the robin's back again, so it's a bit wierd but comforting to see! I like to think of it as Tommy's mascot for the yard bless him x x

pottamus

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear that...so very sad...it has brought me to tears...I am going through this myself with my lad...should be all clear now but keeps getting re-occuring flare up's...all very worrying. My lad is in for re-shoeing by the vet farrier and blood tests for cushings next week...if I can keep him stable and on his feet until then.
Take care...you did the right thing by stopping the pain.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you did the right thing though. He was so lucky to have an owner who cared for him as much as you did. You tryed to help but also knew when it was time to let him go.
((((((((hugs)))))))) to you.
RIP Chalkie. Your pain is gone now.

Annie&Amy

Visit site
I've pm'd you but would just like to say I'm so sorry, I know what you have and are going through. Just remember and this is one thing that stuck with me was that you loved him enough to let him go in a dignified way. Be proud of that xxx

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear that. Laminitis is just awful, I have one with rotation and its a constant worry. It sounds like you have given him the best care and tried your best but laminitis is dreadful and hard to fight *big hugs* to you
RIP Chalkie xx

shell1978

Visit site
So sorry to hear of your loss. I went through the same last over a year ago. Imprints didnt work for Lacey either.

Even though at the moment you are thinking 'did i do the right thing, or 'could i have done more'. These are all natural thoughts, and in time you will look back and say 'i did the right thing'. You know in your heart when its time, and you did all you could.

Sending lots of hugs. Lacey will look after your Chalkie! Or most likely chasing after him....she liked the boys!!!! xxx

louise1967

Visit site
Im sure you are right, but im still feeling so guilty having him put down, thinking I should have done more, after all I got him better the last 2 times, he was relying on me to make him better again & I had him put down. I just want to fast foward to a time when I can live with my decision.

finnywinny

www.earthwisegardens.com
You just have to remember that you made the decsion at the time because it was absolutely the right thing to do - you would never have done it otherwise. Its so horribly easy to then forget this - the urgency of the situation - and just start questioning yourself and your decision. All we can ever do in life is do what is best at the time, and you did what was right. Its just so terrible living with that haunting feeling - but its part of the course when you love something so much. Just keep on reminding yourself that you would never have done it if it hadn't been the right thing. Its part of what we have to do for our horses - we look after them as best as we ever can and we have to make hard decisions - he would have understood. My poor friend is going through this exactly with one of her ponies and I know I will face something similar before too long with my old boy. Utterly heartbreaking, I can only try to imagine how you feel. Keep strong, you let him free from his pain XXX