RIP Danny, and advice about current yard situation

Gemsie

Visit site
Hi All,

I hope you dont mind me posting in here rather than NL but I have found that the advice in here really is first class.

Last weekend I sadly had to pts my 30yr old gelding, it was the right decision but was devastating none the less, having owned him over 20 years the yard is very very empty without him. I did allow my mare and the shettie to see him once he was gone so I think they both understand he is not coming back.

My main question here, is that now on my yard I have my 7yr old warmblood mare, and a companion shetland.

The issue I have is that the shettie can only go out in the afternoons (lami prevention) and I am worried that my mare will become stressed on her own in the mornings.

Both are stabled at night, and thankfully thus far she has been quite alright in the field on her own, but this morning she did have a whizz about a few leaps etc and I cant be sure if this is due to being on her own, of just because its a bit windy today.

Do you think she will settle and learn to be ok on her own in the field for a few hours each day or should I be thinking perhaps about getting a companion for her? Obviously she has the little shettie but his outdoor access does have to be resiricted considerably to avoid laminitus.

I know its really soon after loosing Danny which is probably why I am so stressed and fretting about my other horse it but if anyone can offer any advice or suggestions about what they would do in this situation I would be grateful,

My mare can be a stressful girl at the best of times and has been very quiet all week, but I am really worried that she will really start to whittle on her own...

many thanks for any advice offered...

Gem

millitiger

Visit site
is it your own yard?

If so, can you section the shettie off a little section inside the field and put some hardcore or scrapings down so he can be out but not gorging on grass?

or can he wear a muzzle? or perhaps get him working a bit by long reining or similar to help keep the weight off?

Bug2007

Visit site
Get some sheep, great for x grazing and worm control. Horses don't seem to mind them and most are happy to have them as companions.