RIP Dawn Wofford (nee Palethorpe)

gunnergundog

Visit site
We've lost a wonderful horsewoman and a lady who was a great inspiration to me, as well as a wonderful friend. She participated in two Olympics and gave much of her life to the Pony Club. She and her husband (Warren) are of the type no longer found....I think they must have broken the mould. Funeral details as follows: Monday, 27th July 2015 at 11.45am
St Peter’s Church, Coughton Lane, Coughton, Alcester B49 5JA

PS I don't, sadly, expect that many will recognise Dawn's name as she/I are probably of a different generation to the majority on here.

Last edited:

Doris68

Visit site
I do remember Dawn Palethorpe...but it's in my (very) dim and distant past. I'm of a similar generation gunnergundog!

Chiffy

Visit site
A name I remember too gunnergundog. I just loved Pat Smythe with Prince Hal and Tosca. Dawn was there too with Earlsrath Rambler. I knew she went on to do great things for the Pony Club.
Makes us oldies nostalgic for good times past.

Skib

sites.google.com
We've lost a wonderful horsewoman - - -PS I don't, sadly, expect that many will recognise Dawn's name as she/I are probably of a different generation to the majority on here.

I remember - a famous name and that would have been someone know to the general public - no horses for me in those days.

Faithkat

Visit site
A name I remember too gunnergundog. I just loved Pat Smythe with Prince Hal and Tosca. Dawn was there too with Earlsrath Rambler. I knew she went on to do great things for the Pony Club.

Me too - those were the days, when showjumping made prime time tv (and my parents used to let me get up again to watch it; bedtime was 6pm!!)

Ladyinred

Visit site

They were good times in so many ways.

RIP Dawn and thank you for all you gave us.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Well I'm one who never even heard of the lady, but reading of the fondness for her, on here, I'm sure that she's one of the few who have the ability to 'inspire' children. It's a gift, and not something that we learn. My OH has similar qualities, in that children, with her, approach riding with a " 'Course you can" attitude, and HOW they benefit!

'Old school'? Possibly, but every generation produces a few, and it's those few who shape the fortunate few. Some perhaps, pass on their abilities to inspire.

RIP Mrs. Wofford.

a.

Tobiano

Visit site
I was very sad to see this - I remember her known as Dawn Palethorpe-Wofford and she was an inspiration in those olden days. Rest in peace, lovely lady.

onemoretime

Visit site
I remember her along with Pat Smythe and a few more. Agree a type no longer found. Wonderful days when show jumping was not ruled by money.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I remember her along with Pat Smythe and a few more. Agree a type no longer found. Wonderful days when show jumping was not ruled by money.

Not ruled by fancy tack, looks of both horse and rider, "celebs" doing anything to get their face in the paper, badmouthing fellow competitors, and the riding style was quiet and effective. I can't remember much fuss being made about the fact that women were competing on a par with the men either. They were all just competitors together.

hackneylass2

Visit site
I remember meeting her once at a dinner and she regaled us with stories from her showjumping days, she was a little before my time when she was showjumping but shortly after meeting her I bought her book and I was enthralled, just wished it were longer. RIP Dawn xxx

respectedpony driver

Visit site
Another one here,I remember her,and others,sitting here thinking about those far off days,Things in general were so different then,I have to say mostly better than today.RIP Dawn Palethorpe.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Did she have a sister who also rode? I remembered the name Dawn Palethorpe and the phrase 'the Palethorpe sisters' came into my mind. Could be confusing her with someone else though.

Rollin

Visit site
My age is showing too. Palethorpe sausages if I remember correctly. A childhood birthday present was a silk scarf with Dawn Palethorpe, Wilf White and Pat Smythe, whose autobiography Jump for Joy is still a good read.