RIP Foxy Lady

Foxy girl

Visit site
Had Foxy Lady put down this morning. She had ragwort poisoning 5 years ago and miraculously pulled through it, still hacking out until Christmas this year. Since then she's been showing irrational behaviour in line with the effects of the toxins in her brain from having little or no liver. She was becoming dangerous to herself and to us and obviously wasn't happy so I took the decision to have her pts calmly and when I could spend time with her, rather than on the back of a disaster. As they say, better a week too early than a day too late.

My favourite vet came out and was wonderful with her and me. He did it by injection and it was as calm and dignified as putting to sleep a big horse can be. I took a plait of her hair and am now at home with a cup of tea crying my heart out.

My first horse, my gorgeous girl I will miss you SO much. I hope the fields you run in now are full of long grass and good friends.

x

Cuffey

Visit site
Very sorry to hear this and cyber hugs for you

Foxy Lady's story needs to be out there for all those who cant be bothered to keep pulling ragwort and those who take the attitude my horse isnt stupid he wont eat ragwort.

aimsymc

Visit site
gutted for you! had my girl pts just 2 weeks ago so know how your feeling. stay strong and remember the good times. rip foxy lady xx

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
RIP Foxy lady.
A brave choice for you to make and she obviously went very loved.

As someone else has said maybe more people will read this and realise the importance of ragworting fields and thus preventing another sad story.

MochaDun

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Foxy Lady. And a timely reminder like others have said about ragwort, I only noticed yesterday when getting mine in that it was starting to sprout in the fields so time for YO to get the yearly notice up and everyone to get out there digging it up.

Foxy girl

Visit site
Thank you all for all your lovely messages - they are much appreciated.

Just to add - the damage from ragwort was done before I owned Foxy, it only came to light when she ate some picked and dried ragwort that my old YO had left in the field. Needless to say we parted company but the damage that time tipped her over the edge.

So yes, I would say to anyone with horses PLEASE pick your ragwort - watching Foxy suffer like she did is something I'd hate anyone who loves their horses to have to go through.