RIP young lady. Just how could it happen?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'll reserve judgement until there's a cause of death. The Sun made a terrible horlicks of a story where a woman had died of natural causes and the dogs had been trapped in the room with her, entirely unrelated but they said they had killed her and eaten her and all sorts, which was rubbish.
The dogs could have been aggressive because of strange people piling into the home.

I know all that is highly unlikely but it's just breaking news at the moment and the facts are not all to hand.

RIP Jade.

bonny

Visit site
Just heard that it was 2 bull mastiffs and 2 staffies and that the police shot all the dogs in the garden.

bonny

Visit site
She was visiting her friend who went out....why shouldn't she be alone in her friends house ? Hardly justified what happened is that's what you're suggesting .....

bonny

Visit site
there was 5 dogs at the house, 4 in the garden were shot and the one left in the house wasn't....that's what the radio said just now.

Luci07

Visit site
and it seemed to be a knee jerk reaction as to the breed as there was some dispute and nothing has been confirmed. Whatever the breed, I hope the press focuses on the cause (deed) because that is the ONLY way we can prevent horrors like this happening. When will the press learn that when they say its "x" breed, the onus is then laid purely on the dogs and not the owners. Who trained them.

I "almost" hope the girl had a heart attack or something because I can't think of a more unpleasant way to die than being mauled to death.

ladyt25

Visit site
I saw this on the news tonight. How horrific! From what one of the 'friends' said, it appears she went in to the property with a pie that she'd just bought for her lunch and that this is possibly what started the dogs off. Seem very strange though if these were family dogs and presumably the girl knew them and was comfortable around them. I sort of hope in some ways the dogs were to blame, otherwise they have been destroyed (bar one) for no reason which is very sad.
What I don't quite get about the story is who called the emergency services as she was alone in the house apparently? i assume a family member returned to the property but, if so, why then were the dogs "out of control" in the garden?
I do wonder if they will ever get the real facts of this - obviously they will be doing a PM. From what they mentioned on the news there were no reports of the dogs having been aggressive in the past (just noisy!).
So sad anyway and a tragic life lost so young.

stormox

Visit site
The way I understood it was she went to take a bite out of the pie and the movement set the dogs off. And I can understand how it could happen- mastiffs are big dogs, and if one of them thought it could get the pie, then the others all started trying to grab it, as they would, then the girl (who probably weighed much less than just one mastiff) tried to hold the pie out of their reach and got knocked over.......... thered be an almighty melee and the dogs wouldnt care what they were grabbing at. The 'feeding frenzy' of a pack would take over - just awful, and very sad.

bonny

Visit site
The way I understood it was she went to take a bite out of the pie and the movement set the dogs off. And I can understand how it could happen- mastiffs are big dogs, and if one of them thought it could get the pie, then the others all started trying to grab it, as they would, then the girl (who probably weighed much less than just one mastiff) tried to hold the pie out of their reach and got knocked over.......... thered be an almighty melee and the dogs wouldnt care what they were grabbing at. The 'feeding frenzy' of a pack would take over - just awful, and very sad.

The girl was alone at the time, I think the above is just your imagination taking over.....

Dobiegirl

Visit site
The girl was alone at the time, I think the above is just your imagination taking over.....

I couldnt agree more, police today said there were no witnesses, so how youve come to this conclusion god only knows.

I just worry what the government will do in a knee jerk reaction, BSL dosnt work so why dont they scrap it and address the real problem the owners.

bonny

Visit site
Bit negative I know but I don't think there is an answer to the problem. We have a country full of potentially dangerous dogs and people who want to own them, or several of them....we seem to have gone away from the idea of owning a pet dog, a companion, family friend or however you see them to seeing dogs as status symbols.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's not even a matter of status symbol in many cases - there are plenty of people who choose dogs for aethetic reasons, without researching the 'what' and the 'why' behind that breed and find out that they can't cope much later.
Just look at the popularity of huskies etc.

Spudlet

Visit site
It is horrific and very sad:(

However the full facts cannot be known yet. For example, there was the case of the French lady whose dog bit her face off - the poor lady had taken an overdose in a suicide attempt, and it is thought that the dog became agitated by the fact that she wouldn't wake and ended up biting and clawing at her face, not in aggression but in distress. We can't know what may have caused this to happen at this stage.

stormox

Visit site
I was watching Sky news, where the girls friend said she arrived in with the pie and went to take a bite, and that set the dogs off. (How she knew I dont know, but it she was saying it on Sky this morning). The rest IS purely my imagination, but the OP was asking 'how could this happen' and I was giving one possible scenario.
Hopefully the truth will come out eventually, to help prevent this ever happening again.

bonny

Visit site
It is horrific and very sad:(

However the full facts cannot be known yet. For example, there was the case of the French lady whose dog bit her face off - the poor lady had taken an overdose in a suicide attempt, and it is thought that the dog became agitated by the fact that she wouldn't wake and ended up biting and clawing at her face, not in aggression but in distress. We can't know what may have caused this to happen at this stage.

As the girl was alone and is dead then I imagine the facts will never be known beyond the fact that she was killed by 4 dogs.....I find it impossible to think of a scenario where you could make an excuse for the dogs

Spudlet

Visit site
As the girl was alone and is dead then I imagine the facts will never be known beyond the fact that she was killed by 4 dogs.....I find it impossible to think of a scenario where you could make an excuse for the dogs

How can we know whether the dogs killed her? The reports I have read says she was found dead. She could have easily, for example, fallen and hit her head, causing the dogs to become agitated. She may have suffered a fit. We cannot possibly know at this stage one way or another. All we know is that this tragic incident has occurred.

bonny

Visit site
The police said her wounds were consistant with being mauled by dogs....they didn't even enter the property at first, saw the dogs through the window and called for armed police to shoot the dogs. A pm is being carried out today, but I don't see any doubt that she was killed by the dogs.

Spudlet

Visit site
Wounds can be inflicted post- as well as ante-mortem.

It is, as I said, very tragic whatever happened. However there is no way to know what happened at this point. Therefore I will reserve judgement one way or another at this point.

stormox

Visit site
Well, the police are saying "they have strong evidence she was mauled to death by four dogs" .... so I think they must be pretty certain the dogs killed her...

s4sugar

Visit site
Too many things don't add up.
It is a tragedy but until the reports are in anything is just speculation.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That's what I was trying to say in my original post, she may have had a heart attack, fit etc, as I mentioned in another post about epileptic dogs, dogs in a pack will attack another animal (even a member of their own pack) they see as weak or vulnerable or acting in an alien fashion.

Unlikely I know and as the police are saying that then they've probably got a pretty good idea but nothing will be proven until the PM and/or inquest.

I'm absolutely not trying to make an excuse for the dogs, they must have been acting very aggressively to require being shot, I'm just saying that not all cases are black and white and as S4S says, until the reports are in, all we are doing is speculating and I am pretty sure none of us are pathologists or coroners.

BBH

Visit site
Bit negative I know but I don't think there is an answer to the problem. We have a country full of potentially dangerous dogs and people who want to own them, or several of them....we seem to have gone away from the idea of owning a pet dog, a companion, family friend or however you see them to seeing dogs as status symbols.

For me its the CHAV element, it always seems this sort who buy poor quality pups, house them in totally unsuitable environments with no correct training or stimulation and want them to butt up their useless existence with a ' hard ' dog.

They haven't a brain cell between them and need saving from themselves and its always someone else who pays the price.

Poor poor girl.

millimoo

Visit site
It's awful... The Daily Fail are sensationalising as usual.
They do however have pictures of a litter of pups the owner was selling last year from Facebook - sorry but says it all.
They shot 2x Staffies, the Bull Mastiff & an American Bulldog which are not always the most reliable IMO.
It's such a terrible thing to have happened, and I feel desperately sorry for the girl and her family.
Total accident waiting to happen with that combination in a small house.
My poor mum is getting a Bull Mastiff puppy next week, after losing her last boy early February to Lymphoma. She's concerned about other people's attitudes towards her, even though we've never had issues with Bull Mastiffs (puppy will be her 5th)