Ripping reins from hands - advise please

Lydiamae

Visit site
Looking for some advice 😊

I have a rising 7 year old ex racehorse, who I have owned since August last year. He hacks well alone and in company, has begun schooling well and has been introduced to poles and a small cross jump. He has a bad habit of head shaking and pulling his head down repeatedly yanking the reins out of my hands in certain situations. These situations seem to be either when he is nervous (new hack route or new arena) or excitable (shown a course of jumps or on a fun ride or after a canter.) He is ridden in a thin French link snaffle and a running martingale, bridle and flash. Saddle fits, teeth up to date, physio and sports massage regular, had a vet check up only 3 weeks ago and was gastro scoped in September which came back clear. I am confident this isn’t a health or discomfort issue, and feel it is just a habit. Both my flat and jump instructor have advised that to be blunt, he seems like he’s taking the p*** when doing it and to give him a firm but fair tug back on one rein. When I do this, he stop but then carries on. I can normally work through what he does, but I went to a clinic yesterday and he was SO excited! He popped everything I asked from trot, but following the jump would nose to ground, rip the reins from my hand, then id re-gather them and he would do it again. I was jumping on the buckle to ensure he could have him neck but still would throw his head around. Midi doesn’t do it in lessons now as he knows the school and instructor and is familiar.

Any ideas on how I could help him out of this would be appreciated. I’d love to be able to go to local shows and dressage but beings as they are ‘nervous and exciting’ – it’s just a no-go at the moment! Thanks

Last edited:

madlady

Visit site
Try bridging your reins - that way he's fighting against himself. Plus he is probably used to that from racing.

It won't stop him doing it but it will stop the reins from ripping through your hands and will allow you to do more work with him in these excitable new situations until he gets more used to them.

be positive

Visit site
Try bridging your reins - that way he's fighting against himself. Plus he is probably used to that from racing.

It won't stop him doing it but it will stop the reins from ripping through your hands and will allow you to do more work with him in these excitable new situations until he gets more used to them.

Also, if you don't already, pop on a neckstrap and take hold of that, ours is always ridden in one and the rider takes hold whenever things become exciting, it helps limit how much she holds on to the front end but still gives her security when he starts fooling around. It may well be habit but every time he does it with you you are compounding the habit, albeit inadvertently, I would avoid situations that you cannot control until he has stopped doing it completely, then gradually introduce him to new things again, it takes time to change the mindset of some of these ex racehorses, they have been trained to go on a totally different way for the first few years of their working life, some will be easier than others to adapt but for most going slowly and getting each stage well established so they are confident will work best, any sign they are not coping be prepared to take a step backwards, or sideways, will be better that pushing through and possibly setting them back.

Ours hates a french link, he has a tiny narrow jaw so the links end up on the bars, he goes best at the moment in a small single jointed eggbutt that is actually a bridoon, no flash and a martingale only when competing, he is very strong and was ridden in a variety of bits when in race training as he was known to run away on the gallops but by keeping him relaxed and calm he is just about ok in the snaffle.

only_me

Visit site
Is he actually pulling down with the bit (i.e. Leaning on your hands) and going onto forehand or is he just jumping with his head out and have an extravagant bascule?

Or is he just chucking his head out quickly from the contact?

If he is leaning down onto bit heavily I'd be tempted to use a Waterford bit so he can't lean and pull down.

If it's only really after jumping I'd guess that he hasn't learnt to use himself properly over the fence and is unbalanced on landing, so is sticking his neck out to cope. You could also be out of balance so further unbalancing him. I'd do lots of gridwork to help him with his balance & technique .

Are you holding the reins very loosely, grip/contact wise? It could also be that he's found out it's easy to pull away from your contact and it's just become habit. Bridging or even the Devils draw reins :)p) might be worth a look at to try & break the habit. Assuming you've a good contact/balanced etc. etc. lol

Imo from your first post it sounds as though he is early on in his training so most likely is unbalanced, rather than naughty :)

tatty_v

Visit site
My pony came with a gag bit and he used to do this all the time when jumping - he even had me off doing it once. Since we've changed to a sweet iron snaffle with a lozenge, he's completely stopped, so I can only assume the bit was causing him some discomfort.

Lydiamae

Visit site
Thanks all, I will look into all of the suggestions. Can I ask the daft question - how do I bridge my reins? 🙈 I do feel it is a habit he has gotten into. Thanks again